Just got a Krait MK2

Krait II is awesome! I like to run long range thermal vent beams in the medium hardpoints and multicannons in the large, all gimballed. For fighter I go for federal with fixed beams. Get the thrusters as fast as possible, and enjoy. I run a Bi weave, and when they drop, just fly away and wait for them to recharge.

I have converted my Krait to fight goids and it is a blast. One of the top 3 best ships in the game IMO

The Python would have something to say about that.

I own both, fought in both, both are great at combat too albeit very differently. The Krait with Grade 5 DD's combined with boost-turning can get behind any ship very quickly, especially the highly maneuverable Thargoid scouts. My heavily engineered Krait MKII very quickly became one of my single most favorite ships in the game. It's also one of the most versatile ships in the game, it can do any job too
True, as Pavel mentions the Python is better for mining than the Krait, I use mine almost exclusively for mining now. My Krait has taken over completely for combat and various missions.

And Thargoids :)

DDastardly00

D
True, as Pavel mentions the Python is better for mining than the Krait, I use mine almost exclusively for mining now. My Krait has taken over completely for combat and various missions.

That's exactly what I did too. It's not that the Python is better or worse at combat, it's kind of a wash really. It just happens to be so good at mining (probably the most efficient mining ship in the game) that I haven't converted it back to combat and likely won't with the Krait taking over that role nicely. I'm currently in the Python mining VOs, after non-stop combat fighting wars for our faction in two different systems for the last week or two, I needed a nice Zen mining break with the Python. I don't need the money, I do it just because it's fun.

Has anyone mentioned the permaboost feature yet?

Love my MkII. Sounds like me and Big Mike have the same set up, those large frags rip things apart. Mine is a multi role but I still have a couple of Chieftains with different set up and my FdL....choice is good.

Krait isn't quite as agile as the Challenger but I find it very neutral and, to me, that's more important that outright agility.

Krait has better shields and DPS than the Challenger but the Challenger has better armour.
Python has better shields than both the others, same armour as the Challenger, same DPS as the Krait and similar agility to the Krait.
Objectively, the Python might be the best of the three, depending on what you're doing with it.

Nine times out of ten, I'd go for the Krait.

Good purchase OP. Krait MKII is a true all rounder. Great for combat with 3 C3 hardpoints, great explorer as you can get it to 60+ly jump range, good for mining/trading as you can fit 2 C6 cargo racks and a good mission runner that can carry a fair few passengers also with 2 C6 and 2 C5 opt internal slots. Enjoy it.

LOL - Mining VO as a Zen break ?

In 99.99% yes. But couple of days ago, I was mining VOs in Python, I had something like 90-100 of them in cargo and suddenly, something went wrong with my Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS.
I don!t know what went wrong, but suddenly my Python started to constantly roll left (not full speed) and yaw right (also not full speed) and there was nothing I can do to stop it.
So, I slowed down to zero, alt-tabed to Windows, started the HOTAS control panel and yes, the roll axis is stuck somewhere around 25-30% left and yaw axis is stuck at something like 15-20% right. Buttons are working, all three axes are working, but heavily biased and in neutral position, there is 30% roll left and 20% yaw right.
So far, so good, I returned to game and tried to navigate on Galaxy Map with this constant stick bias. It took me more than 15 minutes to find and set my way to Pit station (one of couple stations around Colonia which was buying VOs for 1.6 MCr and also The Pit is only 16 ls from entry point). Somehow I managed to find the target, continually compensating the stuck stick, initiated FSD, jumped, found the station and - message from the always present pirate. :)

Well, interdiction game with highly biased stick is a serious thing. But, around 100 VOs in cargo, 1.6MCr each is also a serious bussiness. So, it was a terrible minigame, but at the end I won the game. I managed to succesfully land, exited game and HOTAS was stuck even in Windows. I disconnected the whole thing, connected again, programmed the layout and everything worked. I do not know what went wrong, because during approx. 1000 hours, my Saitek never did this thing and since then, everything seems also OK.

So, yes mining is a Zen thing. But not always... :)

I have a krait mk2 as a multi-purpose ship. It can handle any ship in pve. An elite conda struggles to keep its shields up, wasting shield cell banks one after another. After the shield is down, with power-plant targeted, it takes seconds to blast it away.
The permaboost of the krait allows it to avoid jousting against big ships, and have enough time on target against the others.
Worst enemies for it? The challenger and the FAS, definitely. With those, it always ends in small jousting sequences. But since the krait has faster boosting,it can always force distance to recharge shields.

DDastardly00

D
looks at Commander Big Mike's sig with ship names....

I just realized, the Python and the Krait mkII are the only ships in my fleet that I've given Norse names to. The Python is named Ingrid, Means beautiful or beautiful Goddess, and the Krait's name is Drakar, Viking long boat lead ship (usually with a dragon carved into the bow)

Yes, Python still gets more flying time as it's the best multipurpose ship but my Krait is used for combat.

I like it's handling better than the
+1 for python being better at mining. The way the internals shake out, it can hold more cargo/limpets. I keep one JUST for mining
I never learned to love the Python. Used one as a multitasker way back in the beginning when I was scraping credits, but sold it as soon as possible. Now I only have one for mining. (Which, I gotta admit, it is really good at)

Don’t reduce mass.

Increase it.
Reinforce everything.
B rate the lot.

Face tank and ram like a boss.

I’m a garbage PvP pilot, but opponents have to keep their distance to take me down.
I don’t die except by mistake.

Mass and integrity.
Mass and integrity.

Heavyweight brawler.

Last edited:
I like it's handling better than the

I never learned to love the Python. Used one as a multitasker way back in the beginning when I was scraping credits, but sold it as soon as possible. Now I only have one for mining. (Which, I gotta admit, it is really good at)
Same for me, I always disliked flying the Python despite its obvious champ status for BGS work and credit printing. I stole its guts for the K2 and never put them back. My Python is now a miner as well, as its porky handling more suits the role.

If it's agility you want, maybe ditch both and go for an FDL? I can spank anything in that thing (admittedly it's pretty heavily engineered). Nothing handles and packs a punch like an FDL. If the devs introduce a better combat ship, i think i would cry.

First ship I maxxed out on engineers was an FDL and I love it to bits.

That said the Krait MKII is awesome for just chilling around the galaxy and doing whatever you want to do. It handles well, far better than the Python... so it is enjoyable in combat.

Wow i didnt know there was anyone but me that liked the crusader

The "but me" part of the sentence is the surprise for me. I just can't find anything good about the crusader. It's somewhere in between FGS and Krait MK II in my eyes, but while those are very different ships, either of them does the job better than a Crusader.

If you can afford it, reactive with lightweight, and a single small thermal resistant HRP. Fill up the rest with HD HRPs to the desired durability.

Thanks - the previous advice about thrust with dirty drive + drag helped with agility. Still not as agile as the alliance challenger but overall a better ship. Thrusters are great if I do get in a tight spot but for the most part I can take on wings without a major problem in haz res zones.

Top Bottom