Maybe this info will help nail the "blue mapped" unmapped planets

Hi,

I entered the following info in the Still Getting Blue Completion Grid On Unmapped Planets tracker, because I think it shows more info regarding the symptoms. I'm posting it here, to increase visibility...
Maybe the following info will help you nail the problem better: I entered the Eol Prou QX-T d3-219 system for materials. Planets C1 and C2 are rotating around each other. I moved first towards C2 to map it. I'm using a specific probe pattern, using 5 probes: One at the planet's centre, and four at each end of a cross right beyond the circumference marker.
So, I've launched the five probes, and, since the two planets are very close to each other, while the probes are travelling I select C1.
As soon as a probe reaches C2 (it must have been the 3rd or 4th), I see that C1 is being painted blue and the circles are being drawn on C1!!! After reaching 100%, planet C2 is marked as mapped, C1 is not (I checked the left panel). I hope this info is helpful to find a solution to this bug. I think some variables are not reset when selecting a new body, and so they inherit their previous state...

This happens to me frequently--but not necessarily with bodies close to one another. When it happens, it always happens (for me) immediately after the first scan, and occurs with every other planet. Happens frequently--at least one in three systems when I'm mapping bodies.

It happens to me, too, but in this specific case the planets are so close together that I was able to see the exact behaviour of this problem: Probe one and see the blue region expand on the second!

They fixed the problem, but this problem remained. I did report it quite a time ago, soon after the last patch. There are several issue reports about the problem. Since reports about the same problem are not identified, linked or merged, I have given up to 'decorate' every new report about the same thing with my confirmation.

Fact seems to be: This happens now, if you map several 'landable' plantets/moons in succession. And only then. If you map first a landabale body, then a planet which you cannot land on, and then a landable body again, the problem does not happen. It only happens if you map two or more landable bodies in succession, without logging out, or leaving SC, or jumping to another system. It is also very much better than before, since before the patch it could happen every time, sometimes with the second body in the system, sometimes later. Now it seems confined to landable bodies.

And yes, if you have two landable bodies in close orbit, as it sometimes happens, you can see the probes 'working' on the other body, which then shows the mapped overlay without being actually mapped.

Here is my video of it :

That I posted in this other thread:

Here is my video of it :

That I posted in this other thread:

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it. Yes, it looks like my experience, except I had selected the 2nd planet prior to some probes hitting the first and I thought it was relevant.
I hope they patch it before 2020...

I also had a bug for surface scanning. I was in Achenar for its engineer. I never visited the system, but when I approached the planet, the surface scan grid showed up and said there were 4 signals. I tried firing some probes at it, but didn't show percentage. Anyone know what's going on?

I also had a bug for surface scanning. I was in Achenar for its engineer. I never visited the system, but when I approached the planet, the surface scan grid showed up and said there were 4 signals. I tried firing some probes at it, but didn't show percentage. Anyone know what's going on?
Yeah, that's supposed to happen. Sol, Alioth, and Achenar are all already mapped by default. Hence the lack of "First mapped by" tags.

I've given up trying to discern a pattern to this bug. Constant irritant. The fact that there is "some" improvement is disappointing. My first guess was that there were previous unclaimed scans that were causing the false blue scans, but it continues to happen - and on distant bodies that no sensible cmdr would scan. Second guess is that there's a timing problem with the server vs my local client (elite-dangerous-64.exe). I guess this is just not a priority for FD.

I do see a pattern with this bug: It happens always when you map two landable planets in succession. The second object shows the blue overlay even if not yet mapped, and any consecutive mappings of landable objects appear also as mapped.
If you map a non landable object in between, the effect/bug disappears.
Sometimes there are two landable objects in close orbit, if you map the first, you sometimes can see the mapping pattern mirrored on the second object, and if you want to map the second object, it appears as mapped. I suspect, this happens in the entire system, but if other objects are far away, you will not see it immediately. And if you happen to map another non landable object, it seems to be reset.
Before the (second!) attempt to fix it seemed to be random, every object could appear as mapped, never the first object in a system, but after mapping the first it happened seemingly random. After the last patch the behavior changed like I described above.

I do see a pattern with this bug: It happens always when you map two landable planets in succession. The second object shows the blue overlay even if not yet mapped, and any consecutive mappings of landable objects appear also as mapped.
If you map a non landable object in between, the effect/bug disappears.
Sometimes there are two landable objects in close orbit, if you map the first, you sometimes can see the mapping pattern mirrored on the second object, and if you want to map the second object, it appears as mapped. I suspect, this happens in the entire system, but if other objects are far away, you will not see it immediately. And if you happen to map another non landable object, it seems to be reset.
Before the (second!) attempt to fix it seemed to be random, every object could appear as mapped, never the first object in a system, but after mapping the first it happened seemingly random. After the last patch the behavior changed like I described above.

There must be different patterns, because that's not how it happens to me. To me it happen on DW2 always when I scanned several Waterworls/ELW in succession, all of them not being landable.
It always happened with the second planet I scanned in the same system, never with the first one.
I didn't scan any landable planets in those sitauations at all.
I also didn't see a correlation of them being close together, sometimes the second planet where the bug appeared was like 1000ls away from the first planet.

There must be different patterns, because that's not how it happens to me. To me it happen on DW2 always when I scanned several Waterworls/ELW in succession, all of them not being landable.
It always happened with the second planet I scanned in the same system, never with the first one.
I didn't scan any landable planets in those sitauations at all.
I also didn't see a correlation of them being close together, sometimes the second planet where the bug appeared was like 1000ls away from the first planet.

If your experience with this bug was during DW2, could it be that it was before the April Update (and the two patches) dropped? Because what you write was my impression before the last patch, I saw it quite often since I did a lot of exploration.
Now - on my last 2 longer journeys around the bubble (2200 ly out) I saw what I described above. The old behavior was changed by the patch. It is better now, I think. But it still happens.

Just for reference, I'd posted the below elsewhere as well, but I am adding it to this thread in case it is useful...

The new “make it easier for newbies” descriptions and updates threw up something interesting last night: I selected a planet to travel to in the nav panel after first entering the system (It had bio signals come up). Selecting targets now gives you the option to see “more information” about it, eg pad size available, faction, etc. One of the items is “Mapped?” which shows Yes or No, depending on whether you have probed it. Well, in this case, it showed as “Yes” even though I had never been in the system before, let alone visit or probe the planet! Sure enough, when I arrived at it, it was showing fully scanned in the DSS view... I’m not sure what this really tells us, but it seems that the scan status isn’t affected by travel to the object, perhaps. (On the sysmap, it showed correctly as “You have not yet mapped this planet”)

Hmm - “make it confusing easier for newbies” :D The April Update had several clusterf*** like this.

But interesting hint - I did not see this, because I use the System Map normally, which also has contradicting or confusing information in some cases.

In the System Map biological POIs are missing - after waiting for ages during FSS scan biological POIs are not entered. They are entered after DSS, but their number and the fact that they are there, but not the locations are found during FSS. So - if you want to investigate you either need to remember the bodies, or you need to look it up in the FSS scan. System Map has nothing on it...

Top Bottom