If you could make one change to E:D

Too many to list, but as a starting baseline it would have been FFE with more up to date graphics and the over time iteratively improve what was there, e.g. more useful NPC crews, better atmospheric flight, more dynamic economy etc.

I appreciate the work the dev team have put in, but whomever decided that the initial release of ED with half baked features (e.g. combat zones) or features completely lacking (military career path, any restrictions on piloting big ships such as the anaconda) was acceptable needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Delete Module stacking for all

simples

Although this is also high on my list;

NPC bots in CQC

followed with more important stuff;

Fix bugs (especially the overheating Dolphin)
remove hull hardness
Delete AX weapons and make normal weapons harm aliens
Nanny state SC limiter & throttle control removed
Blue heat vents on saud kruger ships

+ many more i CBA to list them

Combat, trade, mining and exploration requirement for each engineer to allow players are every play style access to engineering without having to buy other ships and change play style.

Add more risk.

Have integrity loss cause module malfunctions (now lengthy exploration become risky, and deciding when to return is important). Have Thargoids intercept and attack people from SC. Increase the FSD cooldown and menu log timers. Vastly decrease engineering benefits of defensive modules and PD. Vastly increase repair/refuel cost, making small ships sensible choices. Etc etc.

Add more risk.

Have integrity loss cause module malfunctions (now lengthy exploration become risky, and deciding when to return is important). Have Thargoids intercept and attack people from SC. Increase the FSD cooldown and menu log timers. Vastly decrease engineering benefits of defensive modules and PD. Vastly increase repair/refuel cost, making small ships sensible choices. Etc etc.

1% damage should be 1% hull value?

i.e. (on stock ships)

Cutter = 2,000,000Cr
Sidewinder = 40Cr

Although if you lost more than 10% you may as well blow up so may need some fixing there. i like it though.

1% damage should be 1% hull value?

i.e. (on stock ships)

Cutter = 2,000,000Cr
Sidewinder = 40Cr

Although if you lost more than 10% you may as well blow up so may need some fixing there. i like it though.

Yes,that was the issue before. People suicided because it was cheaper. But with the massive increase in income insurance could easily be multiplied IMHO...

My one-thing-changerisation would be to revamp the mission system - get some storytelling stuff in there, make multipart missions feel like a Skyrim side-quest with a logical progression to the story beats.

At the moment it’s just the same old same old taped together and doesn’t seem that coherent to me: thanks for being a postman for us now please murder all these people.

What wld it be?
Why would you change it?
And how would you change it?

Theres so much potential to the game, i cant even decide what i'd change.. maybe i'll post it later! Really curious on your takes!

DIVERSITY!
... would be my one change.

For example: I want specific stations to be recognizable by their function on the outside.
A mining station exterior should look like a real mining station.
A military station should look like some battle station with military vessels in its vicinity.
An industrial station should look the part too, and the same for a prison station etc etc.
And they could also give the Empire unique Gutamamya designs.

Currently systems look too samey.
FDev needs to add more station exterior variation, just like they did so well with the station interiors.

Another thing: I would love to see more NPC military capital ships of different designs.
These vessels should be NPC only and perhaps form squadrons/fleets with the carrier type npc ships we have already in the game.

I think this stuff would make a huge difference for how we experience the game.

Last edited:
what's wrong with 'go and kill stuff'? what else do you need? medals? :D
Not sure if you're serious, or just having a mirthless joke while agreeing about the utter absence of the career path and my expectations for anything beyond mindless pew-pew.

If it's the former... a military-career path is so much more than just "Go Kill Stuff". The current situation is a rep-grind, usually achieved by finding an edge-case system generating infinite donation missions to grind your way to max-rank, unlocking some permits and ships along the way.

FE2 had it nailed pretty well for it's time... while the initial options for low-rank missions were "Deliver blank access cards" with no risk, up to "Deliver intelligence reports" with low-level risk, they evolved into assassination missions against military target ships, and eventually bombing/surveillance missions which were unique to the military career path. There were "medals" which marked milestones in your progression which gave it a nice sense of pacing, but were ultimately meaningless, but it was something.

One of the cool things was that Imperial and Federal navy ships which interdicted you in the course of your missions actually employed unique tactics compared to your everyday pilots. Would be pretty cool if the navy ships in ED actually did that, as opposed to behaving just like any other pirate ship... but I digress slightly.

A massive issue right now with the BGS (and ultimately, the game) is the utter imbalance in favour of positive-state actions versus negative-state actions. Every other week there's a thread asking "How do I find famine/is the BGS broken because there's no famine?". BGS is fine, it's just negative-state actions are impossible to reliably conduct against factions compared to positive-state actions. Negative security states are slightly more present, though still grossly outnumbered by the prevalence of civil liberty. If you look closer... it's almost always anarchy factions in negative security states; a by-product of pirate lord assassination missions always targeting those factions, and causing -ve security.

A military career path would be the venue for undertaking missions or other activities which target negative effects based on superpower-affiliation of factions, which simply doesn't happen via any other mechanic in the game right now. Pursuit of that in favour of one side should promote and reward further activities against other sides, at the expense of interaction and security in the domain of that superpower (due to hostility, criminal records etc... this is also where the change to make notoriety Superpower-specific is important)

Last edited:
Given one wish for elite, I'd like to see Frontier rebalance the economy - with criminality being a factor in the "balance", and common sense checks being another. So in my vision for the rebalanced economy with criminality as a balancing factor:

Transition new players into the over inflated economy we currently have where it appears that everyone bat the noobs is a billionaire
  • Make the starter zone pay over the odds clearly showing a "rookie subsidy" in the transactions.
  • Make the rookie subsidy tail off with ranks obtained in the real galaxy, as the player gets more experience they organically gain ranks, and as such need support
Rebalance missions to combat the inflation
  • la-de-dah "rich tourists" won't pay millions for a short sightseeing tour any more
  • missions won't appear offering millions to deliver a few tonnes of commodities nearby
  • supply and demand would be a major factor
    • 100,000 void opal miners out there? Do they know they are lowering the prices for themselves?
    • Outbreak, value of various medicines keeps increasing until it is cured.
    • Smuggled illegal goods, would be worth loads, based on the idea that if they were only available by being smuggled into a station, surely they ought to rare as hens teeth, and be worth more than galactic average rather than less than average. IE: fixing the crazy scenario where by in current game if you go buy some narcotics from a stock market, smuggle them in somewhere they are illegal and sell them to the black market, you lose money?
    • war zones, conflicts, security threats, would all increase demand for, and thus the price of weapons
  • data packet delivery missions, they are overpaid, decrement their payments
  • ground assault missions, simple cut the power missions / scan the datapoints missions were, at the launch of horizons, 75k. Now they are like 3M, put them back to the old mission rewards, and make a scale of increasing rewards with.
Redress the current multi-multi-billionaires
  • Introduce a new communist insurgent group of NPC's, give them narrative, for example "a recently discovered colony dating back to the generation ship era of space exploration has brought with it an unforseen consequence - they have diverged into a massively anti-capitalist, and surprisingly high tech society"
  • Players all over the bubble start getting interdicted/human hyperdicted by the "Lost Liberators" who will more likely target commanders with ridiculous credit balances, or those that have spent a lot of time farming various "gold rushes".
  • New outcome, instead of destroying your ship, they "Liberate" your ship, by taking your shields down and hacking the escape pod into launching, leaving the rest of the ship intact for them to commandeer it.
    • Because it is not destroyed, insurance companies don't pay out the millions, instead they loan you a "courtesy ship", well equipped bigger than a sidey, less potent than what you had.
    • Lose a courtesy ship to the Liberators, your insurance claws the full price of it out of your balance. Potentially giving you a bigger overdraft to let you keep going.

What wld it be?
Why would you change it?
And how would you change it?

Theres so much potential to the game, i cant even decide what i'd change.. maybe i'll post it later! Really curious on your takes!

many things, but I'll go with an easy one - having location details being 'hotlinked' in the codex, tip-offs and on the trading screen... so you'd just be able to 'click' on them to display them on the galactic map

Top Bottom