If you could make one change to E:D

Definitely not.
The developers team that works at legs is not the same that works at atmospheric planets. Frontier demonstrated several times that their developers are organized in teams and assigned to different topics.
So the Atmospheric Planet team actually has 3 years to release all planet types starting from the simplest ones to the most complex ones.
The legs team has 18 month to introduce a basic version of legs plus another 6 month to bring in more contents.

Consider also that the complete game development started in 2012 and Elite was released in 2014 so I can't see why they should not be able to add some effective contents in the same amount of time.
Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

Some alternative to engineering grind.
For example salvagable wrecks on planets and asteroids. You can find them with surface scanner, land somewhere near, examine and "Hmm, old Python crashed here. And wow, there is G4 engineered FSD and one multi-cannon has special effect. I will take those modules".
Subsequently, those modules can be repaired at station, fitted my own ship and maybe further upgraded.
Of course, the weight of salvaged modules itself as a cargo should be much less (1-10 tons maybe) than the full module weight when it is installed in ship.
And maybe implemented together with some NPCs which will talk stories in the station pubs - "I remeber that ten years ago, CMDR. Flint started the expedition to XYZ. His ship was a beautifull piece of engineering. But he never made it back. The last contact with him was somewhere around system ABC, 20 ly more or less..."

Being a Star Trek and Star Wars fan I would like to be able to redirect my shields. This would add a new dynamic to space battle.

Yes, this would be nice. BUT - this also means a new buttons for manipulating the shields configuration. And I am already out of space on my HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro). :(

Being a Star Trek and Star Wars fan I would like to be able to redirect my shields. This would add a new dynamic to space battle.

In the far off distant times of ye-olden days, a Cobra had front and rear shields... It was possible to turn "your good side" towards the bad guys to let the other ones recharge a bit. Even more effective with front and rear facing beams :)

Yes, this would be nice. BUT - this also means a new buttons for manipulating the shields configuration. And I am already out of space on my HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro). :(
Ah, DDF wherefore art thy multiple shield generator ideas now?

I’d implement it using the existing pips-to-shields button, but press&hold to bring up a directional selection.

Is that even technically possible as it stands?

Planet coaster is stand alone offline.

What could be modded that would not impact other player interaction?

The commander creator could be a standalone 'toy'

Elite is already an abomination of the main game and all the third party sites and tools it needs, that already have impacts on the multiplayer component of the game. And we already have sanctionned starter systems with what could be described as vanilloïd Elite. I would say everything can be modded, and restricted in its part of the galaxy if needed. But I'm not a member of the grind police, my opinion is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

I would add an overhauled outfitting menu: clearly arranged modules, quick module swaps, outfitting of ships currently in storage, module sorting and filtering by type/price/size/name/ etc. etc.

Currently outfitting an overly long, tedious chore. From finding exactly THIS hull reinforcement module (currently equipped in slot 5 of ship 12 of your fleet, or was it slot 3 in ship 7?) over 3 ship changes to watching the slow deployment/undeployment of every hardpoint for the 3000th time.
At the moment I am actually considering to create an excel sheet to keep track of my modules/engineer effects.

Top Bottom