Can we maybe not change ARX cosmetics on-the-fly, please?

I've heard this will be part of the update introducing the ARX currency system for cosmetics.

I've actually rather enjoyed cosmetics being a part of game-play in the game, needing to go to stations to change them around.

Here are a few key points for me:

Learning to recognize ships by sight on expeditions and the like. This includes things like fleet roster pics. https://www.distantworlds2.space/fleet-showcase
Looking forward to coming back from the black to pickup my gold squadron trophy and apply my Distant Worlds 2 decal. A bit of extra wind in my sails, and an element of reward for the undertaking.​
And of course the obvious, changing a ship's appearance out in the middle of nowhere, including things like ship kits, doesn't make much sense contextually in the game.​

So, yeah, I'd prefer the application of ship cosmetics remain a compelling part of game-play than something applied frivolously with no in-game context supporting it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've heard this will be part of the update introducing the ARX currency system for cosmetics.

I've actually rather enjoyed cosmetics being a part of game-play in the game, needing to go to stations to change them around.

Here are a few key points for me:

Learning to recognize ships on expeditions and the like.​
Looking forward to coming back from the black to pickup my gold squadron trophy and Distant Worlds 2 decal.​
And of course the obvious, changing a ships appears out in the middle of nowhere, including things like ship kits, doesn't make much sense contextually in the game.​

So, yeah, I'd prefer the application of ship cosmetics remain a compelling part of game-play than something applied frivolously with no game context supporting it.

Thanks.

I don't like it either.
It is an unnecessary magical mechanic added to a spacesim.
I think this does not belong in ED. ED is becoming too gamy.

we can already communicate instantly with travelers at Beagle Point, so long as we're besties with them

this proves that comms in Elite are handled by Friendship Drives
Now imagine they'd add an appropriate delay to it where you need to wait days to weeks for a response. Similar with Galnet news or any other messages from factions.
It's already canon that Ship Kits are holographic, iirc.
That was an unfortunate act of appeasement towards the ever complaining during a lifestream iirc. It would be better if it got retconned together with that other abomination, telepresence.

Now imagine they'd add an appropriate delay to it where you need to wait days to weeks for a response. Similar with Galnet news or any other messages from factions.
It would make the game hilariously boring, and be useless considering external communication is easy

Best make the most of it - when 2020 drops and we get Space Legs we'll be painting the ship the old fashioned way - a la Red Dwarf ;)

w8CxSqu.png

I could equip a ship with fuel limpets, repair limpets and livery limpets and call it Ye Old'e Barber Shop and provide full services to weary travelers 😊
A new form of PVP via Livery Limpets "OMG! I can't believe you painted my ship PINK!" :D

Top Bottom