Fuel management

Not sure if I'm the only one with a use case for this but I would benefit from the ability to disable and enable fuel tank modules in the modules panel.

For me it means I can fit fuel tanks to my exploration ship and fill them when crossing large areas with no scoopable stars, then disable some/most of them when preparing to make a single jump of long distance so as to get the extra range. Just think it might make those tanks a bit more useable as it allows extra fuel to be carried when needed without sacrificing jump range.

Wait, what? All that fuel is added to your total fuel bar so, I'm not sure what you're asking for, seems like a pointless suggestion. Those tanks are going to be taking jump range regardless of whether they are disabled or not, that's not how mass/weight works...

Not sure if I'm the only one with a use case for this but I would benefit from the ability to disable and enable fuel tank modules in the modules panel.
I'd like to take this suggestion further and request that we are given the ability to adjust how much fuel is added to our main tank before cutoff, and that jump range is calculated accordingly. I gained a good bit of jump range on my Dolphin by downsizing my fuel tank, which currently is the only way to do this, but that means I get two jumps before running out of fuel. No problem in dense space (and my 5B fuel scoop is fast on this small tank), but I've got to be careful that there's always a scoopable star nearby or I'm stuck!

Wait, what? All that fuel is added to your total fuel bar so, I'm not sure what you're asking for, seems like a pointless suggestion. Those tanks are going to be taking jump range regardless of whether they are disabled or not, that's not how mass/weight works...
Actually, that's exactly what he's asking: To disable them so that they can't get filled up, therefore reducing weight, therefore increasing (EDIT: the calculated maximum range reported as the ship max) jump range.
It would be a very useful change, and I think it's been suggested before.

Actually, that's exactly what he's asking: To disable them so that they can't get filled up, therefore reducing weight, therefore increasing jump range.
It would be a very useful change, and I think it's been suggested before.
Especially if the route plotter adjusted jump range based on tanks being enabled or not, assuming disabled = empty.

dxm55

Banned
Somewhere, someone has asked for externally mounted hardpoints.

Would make sense for SOME of the ships with "wings", or some space for external attachments.

You could then fit missiles racks, additional weapons, or even.... fuel tanks. Just like the ones jet fighters have.
Would be cool to have reserve fuel stocks for long hops where there is a dearth of scoopable stars.

All jettisonable, of course. And of course they would be exposed to internal ammo or fuel explosions if they suffer a penetrating hit from enemy fire.

Especially if the route plotter adjusted jump range based on tanks being enabled or not, assuming disabled = empty.

What if I installed a dozen fuel tanks, all tiny, filled them all up, then disabled all except 1, decreasing my mass because disabled = empty, thus increasing my jump range substantially while still carrying a large amount of fuel, and just disabled and enabled fuel tanks as I traveled? Of couse ships with a large number of small compartments would benefit most by this mechanic.

What if I installed a dozen fuel tanks, all tiny, filled them all up, then disabled all except 1, decreasing my mass because disabled = empty, thus increasing my jump range substantially while still carrying a large amount of fuel, and just disabled and enabled fuel tanks as I traveled? Of couse ships with a large number of small compartments would benefit most by this mechanic.
No loopholes, please. Disabled = empty means you can disable only if it's empty, like in outfitting, where you cannot sell cargo racks if they are not empty. :)

Seems like a lot of effort for fdev to go to in order to enable no extra gameplay. Sure, you might be able to reach a few more systems a little more easily, but that's a real edge-case and useless for all but the committed 2.8% 🤷‍♀️

For me it means I can fit fuel tanks to my exploration ship and fill them when crossing large areas with no scoopable stars, then disable some/most of them when preparing to make a single jump of long distance so as to get the extra range. Just think it might make those tanks a bit more useable as it allows extra fuel to be carried when needed without sacrificing jump range.
So essentially, you want to be able to dump fuel in order to be able to maximise jump range. In the vast majority of cases, doing so is not likely to add more than a couple of Ly to your jump range except for perhaps in a mere handful of edge cases.

Lestat

Banned
I think the current way is fine. If you have multiple fuel tanks. It not that hard to manually adjust the amount of fuel by not topping off your fuel. Having a smaller Fuel scoop could also help manage your fuel levels better. I had the Largest A rated Fuel scoop. Damn, that thing can fill up fast.

So essentially, you want to be able to dump fuel in order to be able to maximise jump range. In the vast majority of cases, doing so is not likely to add more than a couple of Ly to your jump range except for perhaps in a mere handful of edge cases.

Traveled around the galaxy with a 3 jump tank, with that and jumponium there's almost nowhere you can't get into and out of safely so it does seem....unnecessary to me.

No loopholes, please. Disabled = empty means you can disable only if it's empty, like in outfitting, where you cannot sell cargo racks if they are not empty. :)
Either that or disabling a tank automatically dumps all the fuel in that tank, like disabling shields drops shields and disabling FSD while in SC causes you to drop to normal space. When I said 'assuming disabled = empty', I didn't mean the game would assume a full fuel tank is empty, but rather that I approve of the mechanic assuming a disabled tank is an empty tank.

@varonica

Last edited:
There's no need for any loopholes. The jump range can always be correct. The ship knows when you hit the button whether it can make the jump. The only question is whether you can plot them ahead of time. I don't know what logic it uses for that, but if it assumes a full fuel load at all times, then it could refuse to plot a jump that is possible.

This is the difference between Max range and Unladen range, and it's frequently 3 or more light-years. It would definitely be useful.

You probably want two actions and a setting on the right hand screen: transfer to main tank, purge, and enable/disable.
The Gal Map could have a slider for fuel load like there is for cargo.

The first of these would entail a new interface screen, which would be a significant amount of developer time. The GalMap fix by itself could be a quick hack; it's more likely that FD might consider doing it. Fuel management by careful scooping would be a pain, but it could be done.

Edit: You don't have to plot a route. If you drop the triangle thing on the system, that is sufficient. So if you only set up one jump at a time when you're managing fuel then it is possible now. But plotting a path through several sparse systems would become rather trial and error.

Last edited:
In my case:

Jump range with full load = 59ly
Jump range with one jump worth of fuel = 79ly

I fitted huge tanks to help me cover large tracts of unscoopable stars, but it would be of considerable use to be able to dump excess fuel and disable the tanks when I arrive at the areas of interest in which I am operating so I can reach out to the most inaccessible stars without having to muck about jumping in circles to burn excess fuel.

I fitted huge tanks to help me cover large tracts of unscoopable stars, but it would be of considerable use to be able to dump excess fuel and disable the tanks when I arrive at the areas of interest in which I am operating so I can reach out to the most inaccessible stars without having to muck about jumping in circles to burn excess fuel.

I circled the galaxy on a 3 jump tank, even in large tracts of unscoopable stars there are actually plenty of stars to scoop from, it's just that you jump past them getting to that star at maximum jump range. Managing jump range and fuel and making sure you don't run dry is all part of the fun of exploring.

Top Bottom