Dinosaurs Defecation animation

I know it maybe disgusting to some of you, but I say for the next update, there should be defecation animation. As gross as it sounds, it's as natural as anything else and would give more life to the dinosaurs in the game. It would give the ranger teams another task in enclosures and maybe even a new achievement “You Will Remember To Wash Your Hands Before You Eat Anything.” Might even also give compys a ticket into the game to feed off feces as in the novel canon

Might even also give compys a ticket into the game to feed off feces as in the novel canon

This. In fact, I'm not sure if I would like that animation in the next update, because such thing as sauropod dung management would need a new gameplay feature to be implemented in order to feel realistic enough (we already have plenty uninmersive features).

So, either compies and other small animals (such as Microceratops) are implemented this way, or a new set of staff needs to be hired, also providing something like the Park cleanliness feature JPOG had...

I think what could make this idea work is not make it like a priority to clean it up, because otherwise it would be a bit “wee-bit” too much work to focus on all the time. Think about it, you can have plenty of dinosaurs in one map, it would be awfully tedious if a clean up mechanic for their dung is a priority.

I think what could work is when they poop, their dung will stay there for a certain amount of time before eventually despawning from the maps. When ranger jeeps Drive through them, their speed would be slowed down just for more world immersion. If it was something with colliding mechanics on vehicles, it probably wouldn’t work for general gameplay, and the dino dung wouldn’t have to be like gigantic (like vehicle size) in-game.

The general concept of defecating dinosaurs in-game is a really cool cosmetic idea that I would like to see if it comes to be at some point.

I think what could make this idea work is not make it like a priority to clean it up, because otherwise it would be a bit “wee-bit” too much work to focus on all the time. Think about it, you can have plenty of dinosaurs in one map, it would be awfully tedious if a clean up mechanic for their dung is a priority.

I think what could work is when they poop, their dung will stay there for a certain amount of time before eventually despawning from the maps. When ranger jeeps Drive through them, their speed would be slowed down just for more world immersion. If it was something with colliding mechanics on vehicles, it probably wouldn’t work for general gameplay, and the dino dung wouldn’t have to be like gigantic (like vehicle size) in-game.

The general concept of defecating dinosaurs in-game is a really cool cosmetic idea that I would like to see if it comes to be at some point.

First, dino dung seems bound to be gigantic for the biggest species. There are some researches that estimate that certain sauropods could produce up to 15 lits. of poop per time. As they say in the book, animals of that size must be constant foragers, which means they were likely also constant poopers. Yeah, paddocks might look wide but that's a big pile of at the end of the week ;)

Your idea of ranger jeeps slowing down over it is good, but dung can make much more than that. Dung from certain species can be completely nauseating, dropping visitor's satisfaction by it's mere presence in the exhibit; or it could affect visibility and rating by tarnishing the Gyrospheres; it is a sure disease vector too, contaminating nearby water sources and fastening the spreading of diseases; it can also be a source of plagues, from flies to mosquitoes, which may also drop the welfare of both dinosaur and visitors on the whole Park.

Most of the above could also be said of dinosaur corpses and we already have a way for their disposal (I also think it should be done by land too) so dino dung could work in the same way, although much more constant in presence and far less dangerous in effect.

On the other hand, it can also have positive aspects too: when recollected, it could be used as fertilizer to the Greenhouse, for quickening the growth of the plants; it could be used for analyzing dinosaur health (after research) and send proper, faster and more precise warnings when a disease is developing (before it even begins to spread); or it could be used as combustible for a cheaper power production plant.

The thing is, animal care ingame is not the greatest feature implemented. It seems illogical and unimersive to have three ranger teams dispatched to everywhere on your Park for everything from feeder refilling to dino vaccination/healing. Certainly the first should have some kind of programing: such a regular task is something the appointed staff should be taken care of at the stipulated times. And it shouldn't imply entering the paddocks, most of the time, either. So here we have the first bad, really bad, design. Same could be said of poop cleaning, so you only needed to hire enough cleaners and assign enough of them to the correct areas.

Of course, staff would be some of the most expensive areas of the management aspect so small, scavenging animals could also help. There was some great concept some weeks ago on how else to implement them ;)

I would definitely like to see that as well. As you already said, it's the most natural thing in the world; and seriously, it's a bit odd watching my carnivores eating hordes of goats but never need to defecate. :D

Also if there's too much dung in an enclosure it'll lower the dinosaur's comfort. Logical, I guess.

However, I only see one issue. When looking back at good old games like Zoo Tycoon, their graphics were not that good yet, so literally just a brown pile appeared on the ground, you sent a caretaker over there, they performed a "removal"-animation and poof! the dung was gone.

JWE's graphics are too good. It probably becomes hard to implement that animation without possibly being too gross or looking ridiculous. Or am I wrong? (Hopefully.)

I would definitely like to see that as well. As you already said, it's the most natural thing in the world; and seriously, it's a bit odd watching my carnivores eating hordes of goats but never need to defecate. :D

Also if there's too much dung in an enclosure it'll lower the dinosaur's comfort. Logical, I guess.

However, I only see one issue. When looking back at good old games like Zoo Tycoon, their graphics were not that good yet, so literally just a brown pile appeared on the ground, you sent a caretaker over there, they performed a "removal"-animation and poof! the dung was gone.

JWE's graphics are too good. It probably becomes hard to implement that animation without possibly being too gross or looking ridiculous. Or am I wrong? (Hopefully.)

It probably takes a lot of time but the quality of graphics is no homogeneous anyway: dinosaurs are way more detailed than guests, and just look at the base roster and compare them with, say, Ouranosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus. Also, have you closely seen the new placeable trees? I wouldn't care about brown piles appearing on the ground, tbh.

Top Bottom