exploration minigame 6 months later

So, I know that when the new explo minigame was added, opinion was somewhat mixed. Some liked it, others, didn't. I for one thought it was pretty repetitive, time consuming, and "took me out of the game". In fact I got so bored of it halfway to the core, I basically stopped playing and left my ship floating there for 6 months (I just logged in and flew it back to the bubble a couple days ago). Anyway, now that we've had some time to get used to (or tired of it), what's the current consensus? I for one would prefer to lose the second mode, go back honking from the main mode, having everything discovered, then using the data to determine if anything is worth looking at, THEN firing a probe at the planet of interest that automatically maps the whole planet, all without the mode switch or minigame. I think this would be a better compromise between the formed simplistic method and the current overdone method. Discuss.

Make the DSS work more like the FSS (I'd rather shoot other ships with paint balls) and make the FSS work more like the ADS.

Exploration sorted. :D

dxm55

Banned
So, I know that when the new explo minigame was added, opinion was somewhat mixed. Some liked it, others, didn't. I for one thought it was pretty repetitive, time consuming, and "took me out of the game". In fact I got so bored of it halfway to the core, I basically stopped playing and left my ship floating there for 6 months (I just logged in and flew it back to the bubble a couple days ago). Anyway, now that we've had some time to get used to (or tired of it), what's the current consensus? I for one would prefer to lose the second mode, go back honking from the main mode, having everything discovered, then using the data to determine if anything is worth looking at, THEN firing a probe at the planet of interest that automatically maps the whole planet, all without the mode switch or minigame. I think this would be a better compromise between the formed simplistic method and the current overdone method. Discuss.

Proof that when a thread pops up again and again, it means that at least a significant number of the playerbase doesn't like a certain mechanic in a game.
If it was fine, nothing would pop up. I don't think this guy is part of the so called "same 5 players who keep bringing stuff up"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Make the DSS work more like the FSS (I'd rather shoot other ships with paint balls) and make the FSS work more like the ADS.

Exploration sorted. :D
Also makes more sense parking above worlds to scan them than having to stop your ship in supercruise to see the sort of system you're in and whether or not you might want to explore it further. I don't need the honk to tell me everything, but even something like nav. panel bearings toward celestial bodies would be nice.

Just saying.

It’s very nice and everything. Don’t like the implementation where it pulls me out of the game for longer than I care for. Nice to use once in a while. I keep it’s use to a minimum.
I had a very similar experience to space cat, once I reached the core I didn’t want to use it anymore.

Flimley

Last edited:

dxm55

Banned
Because in the 34th century, instead of your very advanced onboard computer doing the scanning and processing for you, you have to use what is the equivalent of a digital sextant instead. But then the computer has a galaxy map and can plot jumps for you!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I kinda like it. Makes scanning even big systems a breeze. And checking if the system is interesting isn't any slower than before. Just honk when I enter, by the time the dropping-out animation ends I know if there's more bodies in the system. If there is, quick flick of a switch to check the spectrogram. Ah, only icy bodies, close the scanner and off I go.

That said, it could be better and use some refining. Only thing I hate with a passion are the asteroid belts when you accidentally zoom on one. Rest of the system scanning is watching how you're discovering seven million asteroid belts. They should be condensed to a single message "There's a bunch of asteroid belts in this system." But I'd rather just filter them out completely like in the Nav Panel.

I'm more of a pathfinder and sightseer than explorer in the game now after the changes. I'll stop to FSS a system out every once in a while or if something catches my eye, but it's more of an exception. I only bothered to FSS a couple handfuls of systems on my way to Beagle Point during DW2, for example.

HB7NlR2.jpg

Last edited:
Still dislike it very much. As a result I rarely go out to explore. That "finding" POIs with the FSS takes an eternity and some months doesn't help - wasn't that supposed to be instantly? Doesn't matter since the POIs are all the same anyway.
If I go exploring and use the FSS is "see" less of the systems than before - just blue blobs and zoom in and out in quick succession and then jump. Mind numbing boring.

A tiered exploration system would have been nice - ADS for a quick overview, then something like the FSS (without the annoying blue blobs) to detail scan and find POIs and finally the "shoot missiles at objects to map" thing.
But for some reason FDev thinks that "finding" the system map is gameplay reward enough for the "blue blob hunt" mini-game to exist.

It's alright to be honest gives you something to do other than honk n jump.

Wasn't sure at first but the mechanics not bad it actually involves you finding things and exploring NOT using a single button hold. I think exploration is split between those that want to get out far quickly and find cool "looking" things and those that take a slower pace and want to discover rare stuff and read text.

Top Bottom