exploration minigame 6 months later

Why are these threads still happening? For heaven's sake.

Hello Commanders,

I wanted to drop in and let you that we have been reading your comments and are aware how some of you feel about the FSS.

When first designing the FSS, we wanted to ensure that it was engaging for as many different player types as possible, but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone. Before the FSS was implemented, we also collected feedback from discussions on the forum and the beta.

Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now.

At the current time, we won’t be making changes to the core of the FSS. While we understand that this may be disappointing for some of you, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us.

And feel free to post on that thread for all eternity with your views. But it is a settled matter, and nobody needs another thousand posts on the subject.

People are disliking it and here i still haven't figured out how new FSS works (too lazy), after reading this thread i think its better to leave it be ;)
I say this as sincerely as possible. I would not base my decision about whether to use a feature or not on whether other people are salty about it.

If it doesn't interest you it doesn't. No harm done in that case. But it really isn't that complicated to use and you may find it livens exploration up for you. Or not. Just saying, people are liking it too.

Why are these threads still happening? For heaven's sake.

And feel free to post on that thread for all eternity with your views. But it is a settled matter, and nobody needs another thousand posts on the subject.
I'm pleased. Selfish, I know, but for me the FSS is a vast improvement on the original mechanic.

Proof that when a thread pops up again and again, it means that at least a significant number of the playerbase doesn't like a certain mechanic in a game.
If it was fine, nothing would pop up. I don't think this guy is part of the so called "same 5 players who keep bringing stuff up"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Really. All I can see is mostly the same people on these threads. Maybe the odd one or two extra, but nothing significant.

Really. All I can see is mostly the same people on these threads. Maybe the odd one or two extra, but nothing significant.

It's mostly the same people on EVERY thread.

Powerplay, same dozen people on every thread
Cobra IV, same dozen people on every thread
Supercruise speed, same etc, etc

That's the way forums work - if someone posts a thread on a topic, people who care about that topic will post. Strangely enough, the topics people care about don't tend to change much, so they keep showing up - just like you do.

It's "Pin the tail on the Donkey" without a blindfold, and a whole lot of Donkeys. It's not challenging, engaging, or interesting. And no offence to console players, but it feels like something from a Nintendo 64 game.

FSS gameplay loop :

Deep core mining gameplay loop :
maxresdefault.jpg

All hail our casual overlords.

It's mostly the same people on EVERY thread.

Powerplay, same dozen people on every thread
Cobra IV, same dozen people on every thread
Supercruise speed, same etc, etc

That's the way forums work - if someone posts a thread on a topic, people who care about that topic will post. Strangely enough, the topics people care about don't tend to change much, so they keep showing up - just like you do.
Looks like I touched a nerve there.

I never denied what you are saying and I am just as guilty. But the post I replied to had no proof to back it up. It's the same people creating the same threads making the same posts. That does not mean there is an issue.

Powerplay on the other hand is virtually universally panned.

As to the supercruise ones, it's usually newish players that start them.

I never denied what you are saying and I am just as guilty. But the post I replied to had no proof to back it up. It's the same people creating the same threads making the same posts. That does not mean there is an issue.

Powerplay on the other hand is virtually universally panned.

Although this doesn't support the statement he made, the OP is not one of the same people creating these threads, there was another one (hard to remember which one since there are so many of them) whose OP wasn't a common complainer either.

It's also the same few names posting about how much they love the FSS.

Though it's amusing to see @sewerratuk and @Ratkatcher on the same side :D

I tried exploration Mk1, when horizons was released I went to SagA and I vowed never to set foot in an Anaconda again. It was possibly one of the dullest gaming experiences I have had in a while. (Turns out I was doing it wrong or to put it another way, my expectations were wrong)

All through the evolution of ED explorers have complained about the lack of attention they have received from FD, saying that combat and PvP have always been prioritised and I tended to agree, however its a bit of a poison chalice because if you look at comments from the PvPers they are always seriously underwhelmed by the updates.

Well explorers shouted loud enough, the Eye of Sauron cast its gaze over them and altered the mechanics of exploration. I tried it again, my main account is sitting somewhere out in the black waiting for me to drag its behind back to the bubble. It turns out that sadly the new mechanics are just fluff and time sink to discover pretty much the same things as pre-update. GG FD and GG explorers.

I can appreciate what exploration is about in ED now, its just looking for those oddball randomly arranged systems that are very few and far between and the new mechanics just make it a real chore to find them for those that are interested in doing that. However, maybe explorers can appreciate that getting special attention from FD is not such a great thing after all

Not sure why you'd think that.

Well there clearly IS an issue. You can argue about whether it's a significant issue, but FDev have made it clear that they don't think it is, so it's ultimately pointless. However, as we both know, that has no impact on what people post in the forum.

The latest SC change suggestion is from a player active since 2016. It's only the "Aaargh Hutton!" ones that are noobs.

Personally, I'm done with trying to change FDev's mind, but since I've found a way to enjoy exploration without using the FSS, I'll keep dropping into threads like these to let people know it's possible - just in case it makes their gameplay more enjoyable too.

FWIW, I could actually go back to the old ADS if the following things were added:

1) The DSS resolves POIs
2) The honk reveals the presence of unique things in the system (biologicals, structures, etc). Not the location, just the general presence.

I really dislike the whole analysis vs. combat mode, and I could easily live without the probe minigame. I do actually get enjoyment out of my space telescope, and I think telescopes are realistic, so I still like the FSS, but the ADS / old DSS could be made "acceptable" to me with those aforementioned conditions.

FWIW, I could actually go back to the old ADS if the following things were added:

1) The DSS resolves POIs
2) The honk reveals the presence of unique things in the system (biologicals, structures, etc). Not the location, just the general presence.

It's even simpler in my opinion.
ADS reveals system map and you get an information that unexpected signals are detected (that POIs, stelar anomalies… are in the system) .
FSS then reveals POIs, anomalies, USSs - just like it does now. (I would have no problem with FSS revealing POIs exact location)
Probes are an addition to exploration and can be kept like they are now.

My problem with the FSS "gameplay" is that it added "gameplay" for something that doesn't require a gameplay loop - getting the system map. The system, in my opinion, is just the playing field - where things could be discovered and explored. Not the result of exploring.
Obviously, others consider getting the system map as the main reason to explore in the first place - hence the unbridgeable gap between the two camps.

Top Bottom