Really large landable planets: the list. (MK II)

I think this is unreasonable and ridiculous:
That being said, from here on out for a submission to make the list you must use a tool like EDMC or EDD and upload the data to EDSM. I highly encourage any and all players to be using one of these tools regardless in order to help The Galactic Mapping Project. Once a submission is made, I will look for it on EDSM and if I find that it hasn't been uploaded to EDSM, I will have to deny its submission.

I apologize if this is too much to ask, but as most of the planets on this list already have data on EDSM, it seems most people use a tool like EDMC or EDD anyways so it really shouldn't be that much of a problem to download a simple program, make an account on EDSM and upload your log data.
But instead of just whining about it, I went and registered to EDSM, my submission is now uploaded there.

Thank you Zieman, whitezephyr, MaDaSp and kailoran! Your submissions have been added to the list!

Zieman, I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Thanks everyone!

19000 KM, 22 earth masses

Attachments

• 2019.04.23-22.22.png
    2019.04.23-22.22.png
    624.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 2019.04.23-22.26.png
    2019.04.23-22.26.png
    804.5 KB · Views: 131
This thread would stay better afloat in the Exploration subforum, methinks.

I agree Zieman, but since there seems to be a bug with this thread after the forum update where I can't edit the subforum. It was originally in the Horizons subforum, but it bugs out whenever I try and change it and I had to remove the tag to be able to edit my OP to update the list. I was talking back and forth with an admin on page 6 of this thread and he said he submitted it as a bug, but as for now it's stuck where it's at.

19000 KM, 22 earth masses

You snagged 70th place chrisg40k!

It's been a while but I have another entry for the list.

Praea Theia YJ-D b55-0 C 1

20,237km radius.

tcQ74f0.jpg

It should be in EDSM but I can't link to the entry because they are rebuilding their database at the moment, it may take a while, they are up to 70m of around 90m entries.

Added system and body name to make it easier to look up.

Last edited:
And another, not my original discovery obviously but not yet reported so I am taking the discovery for recognising it as a large body.

Dryafou BI-Q d6-12 AB 1

8MlGRbQ.jpg

They just keep coming, I have collected these over around three days of traveling.

Oops no, it's big but won't make the list, oh well;

UA8ILzQ.jpg

I was getting my earth masses confused with my radii!

Welcome back CMDR Varonica and what a nice gift you've brought! I went ahead and added all the planets you posted, even the small one. It was still above 19,000km so I said what the hell. You took spots 41, 54, 73, and 81!

And hey there CMDR ColdGlider, sucks that CMDR Proelium beat you to tagging, but you posted so you get the recognition ;)
You grabbed 71st place with that.

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

Welcome back CMDR Varonica and what a nice gift you've brought! I went ahead and added all the planets you posted, even the small one. It was still above 19,000km so I said what the hell. You took spots 41, 54, 73, and 81!

Yes it's strange, they're like buses these big bodies, you can fly a few hundred thousand light years and find no really large bodies, then three turn up at once!

Guest193293

G
18,000km ice world in 12 Sextantis. don't have any screenshot right now.

Yep since those last few I haven't come across a really big one, around 18k klm is the largest since then and that's not really big enough to get in the top 50.

If anyone likes high(ish) G worlds to land on, plenty of practice in this system. First planet is 1.5, next is 2.0, then 2.3, then 3.5 ..... I almost came to grief on that last one 🙄 I moved just a few meters outside the max range of my ship and heard the sound of engine roar as it was departing. The ship came back with most internals in poor or wrecked condition. It was heat, apparently. Had to do a lot of AFMU recharges !

A large diameter landable, 18,229 km, is here

Excuse my ignorance on Newtonian or Relativistic gravity theories but why planets with 22 Earth masses have less gravity (2.something) that some planets with 10 Earth masses (3.something).

I guess it has something to do with density, but the mass is more important, right?

Excuse my ignorance on Newtonian or Relativistic gravity theories but why planets with 22 Earth masses have less gravity (2.something) that some planets with 10 Earth masses (3.something).

I guess it has something to do with density, but the mass is more important, right?

Its to do with density because gravity is affected by distance from the centre of the mass, you can see this by watching the gravity gauge reading increase as you land.
So a dense world will be smaller so the surface will be nearer the centre so the gravity will be higher.

Its to do with density because gravity is affected by distance from the centre of the mass, you can see this by watching the gravity gauge reading increase as you land.
So a dense world will be smaller so the surface will be nearer the centre so the gravity will be higher.

A good enough explanation, gravity is way more complicated than that but going into the complexities would just add confusion, the increase in gravity as you approach the surface is not linear, we measure from the centre for convenience not accuracy. What I will add here is this. Because of this all of our large planets, without exception, are icy bodies and surface gravity rarely gets over around 4g, all our really high grav worlds are metalic or high metal content bodies, you won't see a rally high grav icy body. There are limits in the stellar forge and the real universe for mass of non-star like bodies so we will never see a really large body made of denser material than ice on our list.

Top Bottom