Devs why is X3 series STILL giving you a run for your money.

For those that haven't played X3.

You can train Mercs and Board other Ships
You can build your own stations, reverse engineer and build your own ships
You can drop off sensors in a system and real time its data to you without the need to visit a webpage whilst in VR
Pilots for your currently unused ships, so that they could be used on cargo runs, or help out in a fight.

A whole host of game play mechanics that ED is still missing out on.

Every single time I sent my marines over to a board a new Hyperion (best ship be far) my heart was in my mouth.
The control of stock and ships made it fun to play and micro manage, whilst ED hasn't raised my heart rate about normal since I bought my Cutter.

I love Elite and want to love it more, and if most of the above could be done 14 years ago why can't the FD Devs pull it off ?

Every single time I sent my marines over to a board a new Hyperion (best ship be far) my heart was in my mouth.
The control of stock and ships made it fun to play and micro manage, whilst ED hasn't raised my heart rate about normal since I bought my Cutter.
Also you are forgetting several factions, some of which are at war with each other, some are not, a HUGE plethora of ships to chose from, modding capability, the ability to build your own base and production chain, hire (or own) giant freighters to lug station components around and the ability to jump long distances (Jump drive and energy cells) and accelerate time to skip unnecessary wait times.
Also interesting missions (even if they were far and few inbetween) an a story arc one could choose to follow or ignore and just enjoy the game.

You can drop off sensors in a system and real time its data to you without the need to visit a webpage whilst in VR
Pilots for your currently unused ships, so that they could be used on cargo runs, or help out in a fight.

I love Elite and want to love it more, and if most of the above could be done 14 years ago why can't the FD Devs pull it off ?

Because FD was busy creating a galaxy larger than a bunch of tiny cubes, planets you can land on, a proper flight model, VR and HOTAS support, a multiplayer infrastructure and so forth.

Just because something exists in some other game doesn't mean you can wish it into existence. Bizarre how many supposedly mature people struggle with that concept.

While there are definitely some concepts that could (and should) be transferred from the x-series to Elite, it's worth bearing in mind that they are quite different games despite being both in the genre of "space sim". While Elite is all about a lone pilot trying to make their way in the galaxy, the x-series is about a business tycoon setting up a trading business.

However, I do agree that the economic model and the level of detail in the simulation of the x-series is worlds better than Elites, which is quite an issue considering how much of Elite's core is about trading and the X-series is actually a better game purely in terms of trading even if you forget all the remote control ships and business empire aspects of it.

While there are definitely some concepts that could (and should) be transferred from the x-series to Elite, it's worth bearing in mind that they are quite different games despite being both in the genre of "space sim". While Elite is all about a lone pilot trying to make their way in the galaxy, the x-series is about a business tycoon setting up a trading business.
You mean, thousands of emerging billionaires flying around in ships that are worth as much as a small country?
Where in an hour a single pilot can make as much money as a company in 10 years?

You mean, thousands of emerging billionaires flying around in ships that are worth as much as a small country?
Where in an hour a single pilot can make as much money as a company in 10 years?

Alternatively, Elite is actually a post-scarcity society. Even the poorest and most poverty stricken individuals still pass their days relaxing in their painite encrusted throne, dining with their platinum alloy cutlery. Some people in the lower income regions may have to work as much as 10 days a year to maintain a basic living standard of being able to afford literally everything they want.

Alternatively, Elite is actually a post-scarcity society. Even the poorest and most poverty stricken individuals still pass their days relaxing in their painite encrusted throne, dining with their platinum alloy cutlery. Some people in the lower income regions may have to work as much as 10 days a year to maintain a basic living standard of being able to afford literally everything they want.
Which means that the systems in famine are just people too lazy to jump to a neighbouring system and by 2 tons of food for 200cr and not have to suffer anymore?
And people in outbreak systems are even worse, because all those billionaires are just making a coin of their pain and suffering by selling them overpriced medicine, that they could afford, but just CBA to make 2 jumps and buy a ton of it and have enough for the entire block!

OP the X series is single player is hell of lot easier to make a single player game.

Solo isn't really single player in a Elite though all it does is stop you grouping with other players. Still the game background sim and multiplayer mechanics. I don't think people realise the number of things going on in the background of Elite Dangerous.
Not much, really.
Other than who controls the sector/system, nothing changes. Goods are the same, stations are the same, different name on the plate, that's it.
If it would make a significant difference on who controls it, then I'd agree - But it doesn't. At all!

Here is what would make a difference: A pirate faction takes over a system. You can buy weird modules, not always in stock. Modified modules. Experimental modules. Hot modules. Unique pirate ships. There is no black market because it is a pirate base! The station appearance changes to a pirate base. You have to pay "landing fees" for safe passage.

Some corporate faction takes over - black market appears (or not), some good become illegal, station appearance changes again, certain missions spawn more than others, pirate missions won't spawn at all. Special corporate ships are available.

High tech faction takes over - get your latest high tech gear here.
You see where this is going?

THAT is what a good BGS makes. Not just changing the labels!

And how many players per instance does X3 support? Ohhh.. that's right, it's a play-with-yourself game...
So, is that another reason X3 is better than elite?

In all seriousness, single player is superior for game play imo. A lot of elites issues are due to the multi design which I disliked when it was announced and still do.

For my part though, I don't like the X games. The flight model and galactic model are sub par but I'm unsure of I played 3 or stopped at 2. Maybe I'll take another look. As to being better than ed, I seriously doubt it.

/2c

Top Bottom