Does anyone else do Elite + Audiobooks?

Does anyone here listen to audio books while playing elite? I find it the best way to get through those long grinds. I feel that the sci fi scene on television at the moment has been pretty lackluster however In the audio book/books scene, SCI fi is just F amazing. Give these audio books a try, they will blow your mind.

51XDdiGOHjL._SL500_.jpg

51rt2pFIW7L._SL500_.jpg

51f0ytRADsL._SL500_.jpg

51prToa-8ML._SL500_.jpg

51JMOmwroIL._SL500_.jpg

51+1PNQIB+L._SL500_.jpg

519SmaWUeNL._SL500_.jpg

Yeah! I'm going through the Expanse series currently on my way back from BP. It's always been my favorite way to past time on road trip and it goes double for space trips with the sci-fi books. Gonna try the Ender series next.

Last edited:
Yeah! I'm going through the Expanse series currently on my way back from BP. It's always been my favorite way to past time on road trip and it goes double for space trips with the sci-fi books. Gonna try the Ender series next.

Sounds awesome, I need to get around to listening to the expanse series too. Enders game is diff up there, highly recommend it. Have you listened to Red Rising? prob the best sci fi series I've listened to in recent years :).

I always thought Audio Books would be like the greatest thing since Gutenberg...

I was wrong. So often they end up being complete works of garbage, or, when they're not, they're read by someone with a face for radio and a voice for print.

Some of my favorite stories have been ruined this way.

I always thought Audio Books would be like the greatest thing since Gutenberg...

I was wrong. So often they end up being complete works of garbage, or, when they're not, they're read by someone with a face for radio and a voice for print.

Some of my favorite stories have been ruined this way.

Sorry to hear that bud, its true that not all stories end well regardless of medium, just look at the tv adaption of game of thrones, what rubbish. I do however feel that audiobooks or books in general end better than most tv shows. Have you tried any of the books above. Give Red Rising a go and stop at book 3 until the author finishes. Mistborn is also another brilliant series which ends very well.

I like Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series

Arthur C. Clark's Rendevous with Rama

James Blish, I do not know if you can get this one or the next one in audio.

This is just fantastic but not a space opera, I read it so I cannot speak to the Audio version.

You can definitely listen to the first two. The others are better for long flights to points in system. I will look on worldcat in a bit.

EDIT: no audio versions of Cities in Flight or Shadow & Claw, but the first one is a fairly good sized series.

Last edited:
I like Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series
View attachment 140222

Arthur C. Clark's Rendevous with Rama
View attachment 140223
James Blish, I do not know if you can get this one or the next one in audio.
View attachment 140225

This is just fantastic but not a space opera, I read it so I cannot speak to the Audio version.
View attachment 140224

You can definitely listen to the first two. The others are better for long flights to points in system. I will look on worldcat in a bit.

EDIT: no audio versions of Cities in Flight or Shadow & Claw, but the first one is a fairly good sized series.

Awesome man, thanks for the recommends, will def check them out.

Yes! I love listening to audiobooks while playing ED. I listen to available Elite Dangerous audiobooks, (A Premonition audiobook needs to be a thing) I listen to Brandon Sanderson audiobooks, Robert Jordan audiobooks, and James S. A. Corey audiobooks.

I did for a bit once.

I can't do it though, it leaves you 'butter spread too thin' to be simultaneously imagining yourself at 2 places at once.

When I decided to stop doing that I felt immediately better and never had the urge to do it again. The Drew Wagar novel is okay because its in the same setting I guess.

You have to be grinding progress bars for this to work.. It makes elite as bad as the FSS experience. Its just worse to not pay attention.

I only found out about the skeptics guide to the universre podcast in April, I'm currenty in mid 2010. but so many other science podcasts before then and gimlet do stuff I enjoy, as does the After-on podcast which i found out about from the techdirt podcast

Especially during long scoop-jump passages. I've listened to (so far) CMDR Shobah talking about cosmology (Distant Radio, via hearthis.at), Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson), This Immortal (Roger Zelazny) and am just now at Norse Mythology (Neil Gaiman). Neither of these was disappointing.
It's not that I don't like space opera, but I got them on paper already. Another recommendation, at least for the books, would be Peter F. Hamilton; I don't know how good or bad the audiobooks are.

Yes! I love listening to audiobooks while playing ED. I listen to available Elite Dangerous audiobooks, (A Premonition audiobook needs to be a thing) I listen to Brandon Sanderson audiobooks, Robert Jordan audiobooks, and James S. A. Corey audiobooks.

Good to know I'm not the only one 😀. Man perhaps I should listen to some elite books, didn't know they existed lol. I'm with you there on Brandon Sanderson, that guys a masterful story teller.

I did for a bit once.

I can't do it though, it leaves you 'butter spread too thin' to be simultaneously imagining yourself at 2 places at once.

When I decided to stop doing that I felt immediately better and never had the urge to do it again. The Drew Wagar novel is okay because its in the same setting I guess.

You have to be grinding progress bars for this to work.. It makes elite as bad as the FSS experience. Its just worse to not pay attention.

Haha your right on that. Something like engineering or pvp would prob get you more confused than anything else. I agree that books are better listened to during mundane moments like opal mining or other less brain intensive activities 🤣👍.

I only found out about the skeptics guide to the universre podcast in April, I'm currenty in mid 2010. but so many other science podcasts before then and gimlet do stuff I enjoy, as does the After-on podcast which i found out about from the techdirt podcast

I've never tried podcasts before but that sounds very informative and a good listen 😀.

Especially during long scoop-jump passages. I've listened to (so far) CMDR Shobah talking about cosmology (Distant Radio, via hearthis.at), Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson), This Immortal (Roger Zelazny) and am just now at Norse Mythology (Neil Gaiman). Neither of these was disappointing.
It's not that I don't like space opera, but I got them on paper already. Another recommendation, at least for the books, would be Peter F. Hamilton; I don't know how good or bad the audiobooks are.

I hear yah, audiobooks can be so good for long jumps and mundane mining tasks. Awesome recommends, I will have to check them out, added to the must listen list 😀👍.

I do a lot of music because I don't get a chance for "quiet time" often.
Still hoping to be able to control that through the sys panel some day.

Oh yeah, what type of music, epic space tracks or just random pop songs? Either is good 😄. That would be awesome but with frontiers development pace we may be waiting for a while.

Last edited:
Total number of audio books consumed by me in my life: zero. I prefer read by myself. I may want to reread some sentences, stop reading and think a little. Is this possible with audio books? This is just audio files, right? How can I navigate it except rewinding?
The max external sounds I accept is some rock music when collecting mats in SRV.
The rest of the time I'm listening game sounds, if there's some shooting around.

Total number of audio books consumed by me in my life: zero. I prefer read by myself. I may want to reread some sentences, stop reading and think a little. Is this possible with audio books? This is just audio files, right? How can I navigate it except rewinding?
The max external sounds I accept is some rock music when collecting mats in SRV.
The rest of the time I'm listening game sounds, if there's some shooting around.

Yea man, that's pretty much it. With audiobooks you can bookmark a position and you will never need to worry about losing the location of where your up to. You can rewind forward and backward pretty easily with on-screen skip forward or backward buttons. You can also just manually move the position via the slider by touch and hold. Also rock music while collecting matt's sounds good, it's such a mundane thing to do one will go bored otherwise. Of course the immersion of being in space and hearing the In game sounds is good too but after a while it's not as impactful.

Last edited:
lots and lots
Any thing from Bv larson - with mark boyett reading...

Joshua Dalzelle - Omega force and others...

Read by Will wheaton collection... Ready player one, Armada , Red shirts, lock in and so on...

Jim butcher - Dresden files and short stories read by James marsters

Benedict Jacka. books...

David weber books...

Jack campbell books

Brandon sanderson books...

Wireless RF basestation headset, so no need to stop when walking around the space ship as no wires ...

Top Bottom