PvP For PvP - Mamba versus Fer-de-Lance

OK, so having read this thread and never having done very well with an FDL I put together a Mamba. One huge PA and the rest long range pulse. The idea being to keep up pressure on the opponent and turn it into a joust, which lots of my fights seem to do anyway.

Seems to work well for me and although Bigmaec was in his Vulture (so I should have won) it was a win for the Mamba. I now like this ship very much!

Please chalk me up to team Mamba!

Thanks OP for posting your build, I based mine on yours.

I've used a Fer-de-Lance for combat for a very long time. I even got a ship kit for it. I'm quite happy with it.

However, just a few minutes ago, I decided to make a Mamba build in Coriolis out of boredom. The results really surprised me.

Here is my current Fer-de-Lance build: https://s.orbis.zone/2d45
And here is the Mamba build I just compiled:

I find this quite shocking. The shields are barely any different, the DPS is very similar, in fact, the Mamba has higher DPS potential if you don't use the rails in the Fer-de-Lance very often, and the Mamba is a lot faster.

I thought the Fer-de-Lance was the ultimate PvP ship? Is the Mamba simply a better choice? Why are there not as many Mamba pilots as there are Fer-de-Lance pilots?

I know that the Mamba lacks the maneuverability that the Fer-de-Lance has, but is the Mamba's maneuverability so bad that it makes it unviable for combat?
What's going on here? Have I gone down the wrong path in life? Somebody please explain...
Until the mamba, I thought Fdl was the cigarette boat. Not anymore.
Try huge mc with fixed beams🏁

No vid of that fight sadly, I fooled around a bit before that, interdicting Midian and pewpewing with him for minute or so before seeing you at Robardin.

The lasers did really ruin my day, but I'm not sure if you hit me with the huge PA at all, at most at the times where I run FAon straight forward to ram you.
You should give a huge Multi a try, with corrosive, although you would be full gimballed then, which is not that good.

Looking forward for a "real" fight against my FdL or FDS tomorrow or so...

edit
Or what Gully said...

Last edited:
No vid of that fight sadly, I fooled around a bit before that, interdicting Midian and pewpewing with him for minute or so before seeing you at Robardin.

The lasers did really ruin my day, but I'm not sure if you hit me with the huge PA at all, at most at the times where I run FAon straight forward to ram you.
You should give a huge Multi a try, with corrosive, although you would be full gimballed then, which is not that good.

Looking forward for a "real" fight against my FdL or FDS tomorrow or so...

edit
Or what Gully said...

I've got a huge multi with G5 overcharged and corrosive in storage so might be fun to see what happens.

Previously people used scramble spectrum against me and I found it deeply annoying, so I figured I'd equip a couple for myself, especially in long range pulses which I can fire basically all the time.

Looking forward to trying out the Mamba against your other ships, will be fun! Although I now fear I'm going to eat a few rebuy's!

I've got a huge multi with G5 overcharged and corrosive in storage so might be fun to see what happens.

Previously people used scramble spectrum against me and I found it deeply annoying, so I figured I'd equip a couple for myself, especially in long range pulses which I can fire basically all the time.

Looking forward to trying out the Mamba against your other ships, will be fun! Although I now fear I'm going to eat a few rebuy's!
We don't have to go to rebuy, I only did with the Vulture because meh, it's a Vulture with 1.3 million rebuy shrugs

With a huge healy beam two lr pulses with scramble , a lr cascade rail and a seeker rack the Mambas ability to dissengage at will make it a very potent force multiplier in wing battles. Change out the pulses for srb/tc plasmas or ds frags with a small corrosive mc it makes an ideal pinch hitter to boot.
Lots to like here if you get creative.

Top Bottom