ED refuses to start

Was playing fine yesterday. I try to play today, and the PLAY button in the launcher goes pale as usual, but nothing happens and it just lights up again. I tried the validate game files option, and I get "Unhandled exception, access to the path is denied". Clock Ok on that and the launcher just dies. I'm running an Admin account, so what the hell? Hope to god I don;t have to install this thing again, cos it screwed up in the last update and that was the only thing that got it workign again. It takes HOURS to download the damn files. It's not antivirus, since nothing has changed from yesterday.

Go into the game directory where the launcher is located, copy it and paste it into the same directory. Now open it up and sign in with your account. Also, try restarting your PC. If that doesn't work, you might want to check the permissions on the game directory. Also, does the game launch if you open it directly from the directory, without the launcher? Let me know how it goes. o7

Last edited:
Unfortunately I had tried all of this. The game directory seems to be missing. I have therefore unistalled, and am reinstalling (to a different drive, which I was planning to do anyway)

OMG. Now the damn thing will not install. I installed the Launcher to the new drive, click on install game (why is there no option to set the installion folder) it goes to synch files and then I get the same damn message Unhandled Exception: Access to the Path is Denied

What the hell?

And yes, I've checked all the permissions on the folders and the installing account does had Administrator....etc. And why would this change overnight? I bet it's something really awful like a corrupted registry key

Last edited:
Unfortunately I had tried all of this. The game directory seems to be missing. I have therefore unistalled, and am reinstalling (to a different drive, which I was planning to do anyway)
Hmm.. Might be your hard drive. What happens if you press "Browse Local Files" when you right click Elite Dangerous in Steam? Have you tried different directories? Maybe it won't install because the game is already installed in that directory? Try going into Uninstall Programs in the Control Panel or some other uninstaller and see if Elite Dangerous is still on the list.

OMG. Now the damn thing will not install. I installed the Launcher to the new drive, click on install game (why is there no option to set the installion folder) it goes to synch files and then I get the same damn message Unhandled Exception: Access to the Path is Denied

What the hell?

And yes, I've checked all the permissions on the folders and the installing account does had Administrator....etc. And why would this change overnight? I bet it's something really awful like a corrupted registry key
You might want to try this. I have a strong feeling that this might be a permissions issue.

It'snot he hard drive because the new install is on a different hard drive. I'm not using Steam. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ED launcher.

Basically I've already tried everything that has been suggested. Yes, it looks like it's permissions based from the error message, but it's not. I am using an admin account and I even changed the permissions on the folders to give full access to all users.

In any case, why would permissions or some such change between turning off th ePC last night and turnign it on this evening to play ED?

Repeat: nothing at all changed

In any case, why would permissions or some such change between turning off th ePC last night and turnign it on this evening to play ED?
That's what I'm wondering too. Have you tried installing on both drives? Go into AppData\Roaming and delete the game folder from there (or just move it).

I found that the launcher does not like to execute the client in Windows10 if you don't have it set to "run as administrator" - even with UAC "off" - presumably because it is installed in the default location on C drive. (Voice attack suffers from this too.)

I found that the launcher does not like to execute the client in Windows10 if you don't have it set to "run as administrator" - even with UAC "off" - presumably because it is installed in the default location on C drive. (Voice attack suffers from this too.)

This can often help. Even though the OP is has an Admin account, it's not the Admin account (which is different) so using "Run as Administrator" can certainly help. Why it used to work and doesn't now is a mystery, though sometimes even the most innocent looking Windows Updates can cause weird stuff to happen.

Note: it's really not a good idea to install games and the like in the default C drive location. I never do this, yet time and time again I read where people have problems when they've done so. I've always partitioned or used another physical drive entirely for games and I don't get issues like this.

Note 2: I might be remembering wrong, but if you want to change the install location of ED, can you not still just copy the build to the new location, install the new Client pointing at said location and it'll recognise the existing files and not re-download them? I did this when I migrated my build to a new machine as I was on a really slow connection. Note: this is for the ED Launcher version, not Steam, though it does of course work for Steam titles too.

Scoob.

Either you don't have correct user access (are you logged in as administrator) or some files/folders have become read only. May be a sign your hard drive is failing but very unlikely. You don't have access to the area where you are trying to install/patch the game. Right click on the folder go to properties and look at the access rights and Read Only properties. Could try right clicking on the installer and running as administrator.... maybe link the game to Steam and let Steam handle the install.

This isn't an Elite/Frontier issue its a problem on your PC/Laptop.

Also, random software errors may arise from hidden hardware errors. For example, at some point Elite Dangerous on my PC would not launch. It would just crash before showing the logo. There would also be an occasional BSOD. All the other games worked fine - I checked my antivirus, permission settings, tweaked some graphics settings... at the end I did a RAM test and found out that one of the modules is gone bad. It might be a good idea to run a hard drive test for corrupt sectors, a RAM test, etc...

Before doing that, you might want to create a new user and try installing Elite from there, like @X2611 said.

What the hell?

You can download CCleaner for free and it'll clean up your registry and also junk files

It'snot he hard drive because the new install is on a different hard drive. I'm not using Steam. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ED launcher.

Basically I've already tried everything that has been suggested. Yes, it looks like it's permissions based from the error message, but it's not. I am using an admin account and I even changed the permissions on the folders to give full access to all users.

Repeat: nothing at all changed
It doesn't matter on which drive you install the game, some files are always copied to app data on c:\

Also, random software errors may arise from hidden hardware errors.
True story.
Almost twenty years ago setup new system, partition software told that there's bad sectors on the hdd and failed to do something. Eventually it is appeared that one ram module contained broken cells. System run OK without that module.

Top Bottom