The Search for Gan Romero

Oh my...

The Gan Romero storyline was always envisaged as an off-camera narrative. The fact that some people assumed it had an in-game component, and went searching for Romero, was for me further evidence that off-camera GalNet stories could be detrimental to the player experience, and cemented our desire to ensure that all GalNet content related to things that were actually in the game.

lol I broke Galnet 😂

Q

(Or maybe fixed it)

You're the reason we can't have nice things, I mean wild goose chases :D

I call it "content". In fact the kind of content that kept me playing most of the time. How many hours have we wasted near the Heart and Sould Nebulas and in the Rift? I'd still call it quality gaming time I had. We need MORE mysteries, not less. And please don't tell us even if it is only fluff. Because it keeps us occupied :p

I call it "content". In fact the kind of content that kept me playing most of the time. How many hours have we wasted near the Heart and Sould Nebulas and in the Rift? I'd still call it quality gaming time I had. We need MORE mysteries, not less. And please don't tell us even if it is only fluff. Because it keeps us occupied :p

I want more mysteries that AREN'T fluff, and less that a wrappers for pew-pew :D

I want more mysteries that AREN'T fluff, and less that a wrappers for pew-pew :D

Yep, I'd definitely like to chase down things that I suspect are actually chaseable. Endlessly searching for things that I know in the back of my mind don't exist - that will get old pretty quickly.

Q

Scytale

Banned
I don't need FD pathetic "story tellers" for me to build my own RP in their sandbox, thank you. ;)
So, for me this change of politics about GalNet is a good thing. Just sooo late...

Yep, I'd definitely like to chase down things that I suspect are actually chaseable. Endlessly searching for things that I know in the back of my mind don't exist - that will get old pretty quickly.

Q

Well, if we had not been told that Gan Romero was fluff I could have searched for him whenever someone would have had a plausible theory without feeling bad not finding anything...

And yes, while I don't have any idea how much work translations and planning trigger I wouldn't have thought that even a single person has been working as a full time writer in the past year or two.

Well, if we had not been told that Gan Romero was fluff I could have searched for him whenever someone would have had a plausible theory without feeling bad not finding anything...

Perhaps the principle means more (or too much?) to me, but I feel that letting people search for something that you know doesn't exist (from the perspective of FD) is basically deception. And I'm not comfortable willfully allowing myself to be deceived, even in context of something as inconsequential as a video game. Among other things, I don't find it fun.

No disrespect I just see it a different way.

And yes, while I don't have any idea how much work translations and planning trigger I wouldn't have thought that even a single person has been working as a full time writer in the past year or two.

I've been thinking that I could quite easily write many orders of magnitude more content by myself than what we've seen in the last few months.

Q

I've been thinking that I could quite easily write many orders of magnitude more content by myself than what we've seen in the last few months.

Q

As someone with some exposure to it... translation (or rather, interpretation) is probably one of the biggest aspects; some concepts simply don't translate easily if at all, and you can't just throw it into google translate. There's a knack to writing in a way that translates easier, but you also stand to lose "creative impact". Most player articles write colloquially, which never translates well.

"Let's go to the shops." translates much easier than "Oi fellas, lets hit the local"...but which is more emotive?

Strict translation would probably create "Hello men, lets strike the nearby <hanging sentence>" while a basic interpretation would be the less emotive option, and in my opinion that doesn't suffice when i18n-ing a creative piece you deliver to an international customer base. You have to capture that emotion in a way that will be understood.

Edit: trivial example i know... just trying to give a scenario.

Last edited:
Perhaps the principle means more (or too much?) to me, but I feel that letting people search for something that you know doesn't exist (from the perspective of FD) is basically deception. And I'm not comfortable willfully allowing myself to be deceived, even in context of something as inconsequential as a video game. Among other things, I don't find it fun.

No disrespect I just see it a different way.

Q

I think alot of us had gotten used to galnet stories not matching up with game reality, but at the same time it being in galnet made it "lore" and thus "real".. So ya by disavowing these stories as fluf they have killed alot of what we were accepting as "reality" in the game... Even if we couldnt see it.

And ya han zen made a point in the other thread about the game mechanics being what has been holding them back in adding crafted content.. which makes sense.. And sadly is probably why they are tying future galnet articles to cg related content as that seems to be the only ingame actions they are capable of manually controlling.

So ya dont expect there to be articles about mysteries you can solve in game.. Just more stories about community goals and the bsg.

And ya han zen made a point in the other thread about the game mechanics being what has been holding them back in adding crafted content.. which makes sense.. And sadly is probably why they are tying future galnet articles to cg related content as that seems to be the only ingame actions they are capable of manually controlling.

So ya dont expect there to be articles about mysteries you can solve in game.. Just more stories about community goals and the bsg.

So it seems they've simply made a system so huge that they cannot administer or modify it in any substantive way.

Q

I just started playing, and I was told this story, I was intrigued, and I still think that Romero is out there, and that he has probably found his resting place.

Welcome aboard. Maybe. But I believe the devs specifically stated he was an out of game narrative. But if you are looking for a mystery Merope 5c is calling your name.

The sensors point to Merope, and the probes point to Merope 5c. And while this was the first way the barnacles were found, barnacles are in way more places. So what makes 5c unique. The probe was mostly deciphered. Yet the Merope's purpose in the translation is a "what" not a "why". You see any other planet could have been a yard stick. Hell... You don't even need the comparisons of planets in distance... You could just plug a number in.

In short we have not found what is special about Merope 5c.

Top Bottom