Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS One - Anyone else having Yaw problems?

Annoyingly, since just before Distant Worlds 2, I've been having some kind of phantom input happening on the twist yaw. I'll be not touching the stick, and my ship will suddenly yaw to the left a little every few minutes. Same goes for trying to line up the camera, really annoying when it drifts to the left.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of thing?
Anyone who has, did you manage to find a way to fix it?

Should I contact Thrustmaster for a repair? It'll be out of warranty by now as I got it at launch in October 2017. Just making it really irritating to play the game, and I can't face going back to using the pad.

I've tried setting a dead zone on the yaw in the control settings but that's not helped at all.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
All credit to Thrustmaster, their customer service is excellent. I only wish I could say the same about the HOTAS one.

I bought one about a year ago. After about six months' use, yaw jitter issues as you describe started happening, barely noticeable at first, but rapidly deteriorated to the point that the thing was unusable. I contacted Thrustmaster who asked for a video demonstrating the problem (easy way is to plug it into a pc, download and run the thrustmaster control panel software and use your phone to film the yaw input bar going bananas) and they sent out a replacement unit with no quibbles whatsoever. Raising ticket to unboxing new unit took about four days.

Fast forward another three months and the replacement started doing the same thing. I got back in touch, went through the same process, and was sent a third unit.

Guess what it started doing last week. Go on, guess.

I'm holding out hope that the recent Microsoft deal with Logitech will result in an alternative coming on the market, as this is getting rather tedious.

I'm still having Yaw problems. It's the stick and Thrustmaster has not been helpful.

Super hard to get back into ED after being spoiled with a HOTAS I can no longer use.

out of curiosity, what version Xbox is everyone having these issues on? ie, Xbox 1 base, Xbox 1 S or XBOX 1 X?

i have a One S and still occasionally have the yaw issue. but when i played on my son's One X, same HOTAS, i never had any issues.

Mine was on the original Xbox. But the problem could be seen in joy.cpl when I plugged it into my laptop

Last edited:
Greetings,

Opening a can of worms...

I currently run a Logitech X-56 grey that supposedly fixed all the problems with the Saitek/Mad Katz versions. Many hours playing and the yaw starts to drift. Download a Zip file which erases all RegEdit X-56 files in the registry, recalibrate in Windows 7 and we're back to new.

I don't have this solution with a T.Flight HOTAS 4 on the PS4 but others have posted yaw drift with it. So why does playing the game change the yaw? The ED bindings file doesn't seem to resolve this. Refreshing with a RegEdit clear on a PC does not work for every HOTAS or platform.

Anyone at Frontier working this? Just my own experience without qualitative analysis but might be worth taking a look. Is it a controller failure or over time a relationship with the game? Changing to a new controller usually erases any previous settings on the PC, I'd look into it. Short of the expensive European/Russian HOTAS I own every version and tested them in ED. Well, I wasn't too busy.

Best case a problem is identified and resolved. Worse case players loving this game keep purchasing HOTAS thinking it is a hardware issue. Still the HOTAS works perfectly with other games as many have posted on the Forum.

Of course this is limited with my observation and a PC solution. Just the start of looking into a possible problem. Let's not make final decisions before we have valid info to work with.

Regards

Last edited:
out of curiosity, what version Xbox is everyone having these issues on? ie, Xbox 1 base, Xbox 1 S or XBOX 1 X?

i have a One S and still occasionally have the yaw issue. but when i played on my son's One X, same HOTAS, i never had any issues.

My main machine is a 1X, but on occasion I've plugged into my son's 1TB XB1, or my daughters 500gb XB1 and had the same problem, or not at all. Some times just unplugging and plugging back in the HOTAS fixes the issue (and sometime it just makes it worse).

I'm pretty late replying to this as haven't played the game for a long while. Very soon upon rediscovering the things that have changed since last player I began to get a constant drift to the left on the Thrustmaster T flight X. I have noticed this problem since updating the firmware for PC play on certain games (mostly Unity based) but not all. After trying numerous things recalibration, hard reset, tightening stick tension and so on, I discovered that flicking the switch over to the PC setting stopped all the stick drift issues, though obviously the buttons would no longer work with the Xbox one. The joystick also works in other games without this issue occurring, so I believe the issue is software or driver based somehow. Anyways, for anyone who has read this, try flicking the setting switch between PC / Xbox for a minute or so then back to Xbox, and it may help stop the issue for you, so you can play some like it did for me.

So I contacted Thrustmaster, sent info they needed including a short video. This is there reply...
"
From the unit's current performance we believe that the issue is hardware related - most likely a calibration issue with the pot controlling the yaw axis.
For any hardware fault confirmed with the unit the sole solution available for this particular product is a complete replacement.
At this moment this is no longer possible as the unit's 12 months warranty has expired."
Being in the States, I only have a 1 year warranty instead of 2. So new HOTAS shopping it is.

So I contacted Thrustmaster, sent info they needed including a short video. This is there reply...
"
From the unit's current performance we believe that the issue is hardware related - most likely a calibration issue with the pot controlling the yaw axis.
For any hardware fault confirmed with the unit the sole solution available for this particular product is a complete replacement.
At this moment this is no longer possible as the unit's 12 months warranty has expired."
Being in the States, I only have a 1 year warranty instead of 2. So new HOTAS shopping it is.

I have had 2 hotas one's and both failed on me for the same reason. Either the yaw or the pitch goes out after a while. I've known at least 5 other people who had this same problem as well. It's just a cheap hotas at an expense price. The problem is the sensor inside the gimbal. Its crap. It tears up after a while and is near impossible to replace it because of its position. Honestly the elite controller is the best. If you can be creative with the button mapping you can get more out of it than a hotas.

I have an issue with pitch and thrusters. I own this hotas for about an year, but I only started playing for real for about a week. It feels like I am going to break this thing when there is an interdiction attempt.

All credit to Thrustmaster, their customer service is excellent. I only wish I could say the same about the HOTAS one.

I bought one about a year ago. After about six months' use, yaw jitter issues as you describe started happening, barely noticeable at first, but rapidly deteriorated to the point that the thing was unusable. I contacted Thrustmaster who asked for a video demonstrating the problem (easy way is to plug it into a pc, download and run the thrustmaster control panel software and use your phone to film the yaw input bar going bananas) and they sent out a replacement unit with no quibbles whatsoever. Raising ticket to unboxing new unit took about four days.

Fast forward another three months and the replacement started doing the same thing. I got back in touch, went through the same process, and was sent a third unit.

Guess what it started doing last week. Go on, guess.

I'm holding out hope that the recent Microsoft deal with Logitech will result in an alternative coming on the market, as this is getting rather tedious.
Having used the Logitech X52 Pro flight then the X56 RGB on PC for the last couple of years...you can only hope that something good comes out of the recent deal between them ;)

7wQ0Y1k.jpg

rXrZija.jpg

Last edited:
Having used the Logitech X52 Pro flight then the X56 RGB on PC for the last couple of years...you can only hope that something good comes out of the recent deal between them ;)

7wQ0Y1k.jpg

rXrZija.jpg
Are you sure this isn't a hoax? I found a picture similar to this someone made on a forum sometime ago that was fake.

Sorry...forgot the disclaimer on the X52 pic :whistle:

I've posted it on here previously and assumed everyone knew already....

LOL, not everyone, I trapped into and googled for this stick...

I was about to get this TM but after all I read, I rather get a nice Glenfarclas instead. Shame there is no reliable t- h-rustworthy solution. I used to have the very expensive TM combination back in the days for my falcon, and it never disappointed, not a single day.

Top Bottom