Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS One - Anyone else having Yaw problems?

I bought a T. Flight (ace combat edition)... 2 weeks later (maybe 20~30hours play) I got issues mainly with pitch and roll.
Then, issues started appearing with the Right Flight Assist on the back of the throttle.

Sent it back to amazon and got another one... I took 3 week before I started to get pitch/roll issues. I don't have the RFA issue on this new hotas... but still annoying.

Should I send it back again?
I suppose it will be the same if I get a new trhustmaster hotas. I guess for 80€, durability is not an option.
When you could get a T.Flight for under £40 I felt like I could live with some of the lower build quality issues but if the price is closer to £100 I'm not so sure (just checked Amazon - the PC one is £49.99 - tough call). I think, were my muscle memory not so welded to this stick I'd definitely think twice before buying another of these.

When you could get a T.Flight for under £40 I felt like I could live with some of the lower build quality issues but if the price is closer to £100 I'm not so sure (just checked Amazon - the PC one is £49.99 - tough call). I think, were my muscle memory not so welded to this stick I'd definitely think twice before buying another of these.

That was a tough issue for me after I gave up my flight stick. I had to relearn everything all over again. Docking fighting. It was a pain. Like I was noob that just bought the game. I eventually got through it though and the advantage of that was I could optimize my controller now withithout the trauma of trying to add something into the layout I already knew since I had to relearn everything anyway. Plus I was experienced and already knew what I needed and didn't unlike an actual newbie.

You've got the same problem I had. The answer depends on you. If you are good at taking things apart and DIY projects then try the fixes some of the other posters have suggested. If not then get a refund.

I'll probably contact Thrustmaster if it gets worse. I really don't want to have to wait to play ED while waiting for a new one, again. :)

Thats what happened to mine, yaw starting twitching and moving to the left and the rocker on the back of the throttle lost it's mind....Was past its warranty so I had to buy another one. Wish there were more on the market for Xbox. Now, I have the new one, gonna break open the old one and see if it can be repaired and used as a back up.

I would hope there will be more flight sticks available for Xbox in the not-too-distant future, especially as Microsoft's Flight Simulator will be coming to the platform.

I would hope there will be more flight sticks available for Xbox in the not-too-distant future, especially as Microsoft's Flight Simulator will be coming to the platform.
The rewards is not high enough, Xbox one only got the t-flight because bandi Namco (not microsoft) wanted it supported. Xbox one went years waiting for any one to push for a microsoft xbox license deal even after war thunder and other titles could have used the hotas... but that was pushed for by namco who normaly have had microsoft support the hotas builds for there acecombat games, support in ED was a side effect...

The price will drop again once Ace combat 7 stop selling as its the current high profile game pushing hotas usage...

The price will drop again once Ace combat 7 stop selling as its the current high profile game pushing hotas usage...
I'd forgotten but I actually had an Amazon pricewatch set on the stick (so I could grab one whenever it went back down to £29.99). I guess those heady days are over but it looks like it does still sometimes drop below £40.

iJzaWrw.png

The problem is ultimately Microsoft wont make the xbox compatible with third party hardware. Plug and play technology has been around since the 90s and there is no reason they cant donit on the xbox. After they dropped the kinect they just magically made the X1 compatible with any webcam with a USB plug. There is no reason they cant do that with a flight stick or a keyboard but they just want to lock down the market. So now were all stuck with a crappy 25$ hotas that we paid 80$ for for 10$ quality.

I cant speak for you guys but I would have no problems shelling out a few hundred dollars for a high quality hotas like the saetek x52 or a warthog of they were available to us.

Yep, contact them. It's a very common fault. They have a two year warranty on all of their products so they should replace it.
All the instructions are in their website

This is good to know. Thank you! I had to stop using mine recently for the same reason. Shot them a message today and hopefully can get it fixed.

Mine is working when the stick and throttle are seperated and it yaws to the left when the two parts are too close to each other. Voodoo, but I can at least use it again without being driven mad.

Contacted Thrustmaster yetserday about the hotas issues for the Xbox One, the told me to install the lastest drivers for PC...
They also told me it's a common issue with the model and said if I keep having problems with the Hotas, I should sent it back and have a replacement.

If I do, it'll be the 3rd Hotas in less than 5months. Pretty annoying.

Thrustmaster told me to do a firmware update of the Hotas, which I did... but, now, sometimes, A, B, X and Y boutons wont work for a minute. :confused:
The update went well and only took a few seconds but has worsened the problem.

My latest warranty replacement unit inevitably started with the yaw jitters this week, barely a month after receiving it (the serial number of this one was notably different to previous units, so I'd hoped it might be from a different manufacturing run that didn't have the same quality issues - no such luck...)

This time, instead of asking for yet another replacement I followed others' advice on this thread and tried to fix it myself.

I unscrewed the handle and freed the rotary pot at the top of the stick, blew into it to get rid of any matter that might have got in, and gave it a squirt of WD40. Gave the wires leading up through the stick to the pot a very gentle tug to give them a mm or two of extra slack, and put everything back together.

The yaw issue was no longer there, and after several hours' determined use there's not the slightest hint of it returning.

My latest warranty replacement unit inevitably started with the yaw jitters this week, barely a month after receiving it (the serial number of this one was notably different to previous units, so I'd hoped it might be from a different manufacturing run that didn't have the same quality issues - no such luck...)

This time, instead of asking for yet another replacement I followed others' advice on this thread and tried to fix it myself.

I unscrewed the handle and freed the rotary pot at the top of the stick, blew into it to get rid of any matter that might have got in, and gave it a squirt of WD40. Gave the wires leading up through the stick to the pot a very gentle tug to give them a mm or two of extra slack, and put everything back together.

The yaw issue was no longer there, and after several hours' determined use there's not the slightest hint of it returning.
Glad it worked, CMDR

Guess I know what I'm doing the free min I get.

Basic HOTAS maintenance is a thing that should be common practise...whether it be on the Xbox or otherwise. I strip my X56 down for basic maintenance at least once a month...greasing pots, springs, gimbals, clean the button mounts and to generally make sure everything is in order.

I suppose it's a new and strange thing for Xbox players since servicing the controller isn't commonplace or required that often...but the HOTAS has more moving parts.

Basic HOTAS maintenance is a thing that should be common practise...whether it be on the Xbox or otherwise. I strip my X56 down for basic maintenance at least once a month...greasing pots, springs, gimbals, clean the button mounts and to generally make sure everything is in order.

I suppose it's a new and strange thing for Xbox players since servicing the controller isn't commonplace or required that often...but the HOTAS has more moving parts.
lol Your confusing a complex expensive PC item with multi moving mechanical parts to a console product that still uses rubber dome carbon pad connections instead of actual mechanical switches for buttons still...

Are PC controllers made differently?
Yes PC hotas have actual mechanical switches and Sliding horizontal varible resisters which need grease to allow correct friction but are normaly lower resistance than a POT per axis...
The springs in switches that allow high speed clean contacts that don't exsist in console rubber dome switches, they do wear out but those switches are all the exact same pressure point and distance untill the switch spring is dieing... rubber dome are virable pressure right from the product release on every switch on the product there is no compliance for pressure compliance...
This is why the same controller batch has different rubber domes die at different rate from day one...

Last edited:
Top Bottom