if Planco2 releases in a couple years

Will it be possible for original Planco blueprints and DLCs to be compatible with Planco2 ?

It makes me sad that I cant transfer a simple building blueprint from Planco into Plazoo, or that certain themes and plants are not available. Even RCT3 was backwards-compatible with original blueprints. If current Planco1 DLCs are not compatible with future sequels like Planco2, then whats the point of making/buying anymore? We shouldnt have to rebuy the spooky or adventure scenery packs if we want to add them into our zoos or future parks.

Theres obvious improvements to the engine with Plazoo, but it doesnt really seem all that much different for basic scenery objects to not be cross-compatible

In regards to DLC being compatible ... honestly it would be nice but incredibly impractical for a company, so no, don’t except this because you’ll be disappointed. If Planet Coaster 2 is ever did see the light of day, I’d expect every DLC that came out to be new, and require players to purchase them, even if they are similar themes.

Take sims for example, they carry over themes and expansions that were in previous games, but they are changed, revamped, things are added and things that didnt go so well are removed.

In order for a company to make money they need to sell new content, it’s just how the business world functions, if you don’t want to go bankrupt or have to close down. It’s not being greedy or money hungry it’s just how things work. And yeah sometimes things are priced unreasonably for what you get, but that’s a different topic all together :)

A sequel is the perfect opportunity to do away with outdated and partly faulty mechanics, start fresh and get away with it. It should be a new product that happens to have the same name and concept of the first game. I hope and expect Frontier will take that opportunity. I think most will agree that the path editor and coaster builder absolutely need a huge overhaul and a more modern (The Sims-esque) building system would be more than welcome.

Of course you could go the extra mile like NoLimits 2 did; that software introduced a new way of modelling track shaping (via Bezier Curves) but there was an official importer that imported old spline-based NL1 coasters. It was easier to start over than tweaking the imported model, but at least you could experience your old ride in the new engine and use it as a reference.

It's been said before, Planet Coaster 1 isn't going anywhere, if you want to see your old stuff once more, boot up the old game once more.

Only some (and not all...) track blueprints could be imported into RCT3, and a large number of those didn't work because of differences in the coaster building process and changes made when expansion packs came out. Scenery and buildings weren't shareable between the games. RCTw had no compatibility with previous games at all unless you used CS files from the old game and recreated them to work in Unity.

Certainly not everyone who will buy Planet Coaster 2 will have owned the original game, just as many who owned RCT3 didn't own RCT2, so the ability to use DLC ffrom one in the other won't matter to them anyways. Making the code in PC2 work DLC from PC1 places limitations on what PC2 might be able to do and how it may work. As much as I also wish I ould use stuff from the first version in the second, if it limits the improvements they can make to the new game, then to me it's just not worth it, I'll do without things made for the first game.

not everyone who will buy Planet Coaster 2 will have owned the original game [...] so the ability to use DLC ffrom one in the other won't matter to them anyways.

So, if somebody buys Planco2 but doesnt own Planco1, then why shouldnt they beable to buy the spooky scenery pack from Planco1 to use in Planco2? Or you think it would be better for Frontier to repackage the spooky DLC and resell it separately, so people who bought it previously would have to rebuy it again? I dont see why simple scenery items can't be transferred over

you could go the extra mile like NoLimits 2 did; that software introduced a new way of modelling track shaping (via Bezier Curves) but there was an official importer that imported old spline-based NL1 coasters. It was easier to start over than tweaking the imported model, but at least you could experience your old ride in the new engine and use it as a reference.
this is exactly what I would like to see

It's been said before, Planet Coaster 1 isn't going anywhere, if you want to see your old stuff once more, boot up the old game once more.
I'll ask you the same question I asked Wagi above, will Frontier repackage scenery DLC such as the spooky pack forcing players who already own the original DLC to repurchase the DLC again?

I’d expect every DLC that came out to be new, and require players to purchase them, even if they are similar themes.
I just dont see that as being the best option IMO, Planco + all DLC combined is already $100 and you expect players to rebuy all that just for slight upgrades in the sequel? I cant imagine Planco2 being all that different from the original

Last edited:
So, if somebody buys Planco2 but doesnt own Planco1, then why shouldnt they beable to buy the spooky scenery pack from Planco1 to use in Planco2? Or you think it would be better for Frontier to repackage the spooky DLC and resell it separately, so people who bought it previously would have to rebuy it again? I dont see why simple scenery items can't be transferred over

I cant imagine Planco2 being all that different from the original

But that's just it...NONE of us know for a fact that anything from PC1 will be able to work in PC2. I respect the fact that you can't imagine that they'll be all that different, I don't either, but we do not know that for a fact. There is just as much a possibility that something in the coding for PC2 is different enough that some things from PC1's DLC's won't work. They weren't all just static scenery objects, they included animated things, lights, special effects and sometimes rides, if even one item in a DLC set doesn't work for whatever reason, that pretty much makes the set useless in PC2. They would need to repackage the contents leaving out things that don't work in PC2.

As far as your core question " will Frontier repackage scenery DLC such as the spooky pack forcing players who already own the original DLC to repurchase the DLC again? ". My answer would be, like it or not, we bought dlc for PC1. I don't know if they plan on using the same assets in the new game as dlc or not. They might decide to include more content that is included with the core game, which might include some of the dlc things from PC1 tweaked to work in PC2 if need be. I don't know.

It's like there's a number of items in the dlc sets I bought I seldom or never even use. Because I make the choice not to use them, Frontier owes me nothing just because I paid for them. There was no expectation on my part that they work on another separate game, I bought them to use in THIS game. Frontier didn't sell us the previous dlc with any sort of guarantee as to what gameplay we get from it. I could have bought dlc and never used it at all, that's my choice and has nothing to do with Frontier. If I want to buy dlc for PC2 when it comes out, then that's my choice to do so or not, like it is for everyone. I make the choice to buy PC2, I make the choice to purchase dlc's for it or not, even if they are similar to what we had.

I think it far more likely I'll wish that certain things in PC1 also are released for PC2, because I like or have a use for them. And as such I don't have a problem paying to have them in the new game. I respect that you see it differently, that's perfectly fine, many of your points bear considering..

wow! you put so much effort into explaining to me why my hope or request is impossible, but the fact remains that you don't know for 100% certainty, you even said yourself "you dont know" and my hope that at least some of the basic scenery objects will be compatible could still come true :) you never know, and it doesnt hurt anybody to simply pose a question. I completely understand all of the explanations you gave, as it has been discussed many times before now, just because I still have high hopes doesnt mean I'm naive.

This is exactly why I never support microtransactions or mini-DLC packs. I'd rather see full expansions with complete feature sets and more advanced scenarios :) either way I still believe and will always believe that its not difficult for Frontier to take a basic wall texture, plant or other object from Planco and simply port it over to Plazoo, yet they just simply choose not to. its not like Plazoo uses a completely different engine in the way that games like Unreal or Rockstar use completely different engines

and @Bitter - of course I'm not going to wait until the game is officially announced to bring this up... you think Planet Zoo is going to have any major changes after the alpha (besides a bunch of already planned DLCs)? They might try to push out a few more Planco DLCs over the year, but Im sure Planco2 is already in pre-development

Last edited:
The only reason I wouldn't want backwards compatibility is because it might depend too much on the old wrong engine limitations.

Planet Coaster is fun but it's well known some things aren't exactly implemented all that well to say the least (the optimization and lack of freedom issues being one of them). So something needs to change in the core of the game so it can really be used to it's full potential (like creating realistic real life-sized parks without issues).

If this means people lose their blueprints of a few trees and rocks placed in a certain way that's a price that's definately worth it.

Also I do hope they will go the smart route this time like the developers of Cities Skylines did and they focus on actually adding core elements and gameplay and let the cosmetic part up to the community. Seriously who the heck gets excited to wait a year so they can buy a pack that has a different wall texture or a mascotte in a different outfit? That's something I will never be able to fathom. Add rides, add gameplay, add anything that can't be done by an individual on his own computer really. That way the game can really grow to it's full potential. The proof that this is the succesful way to go is already out there so why not do it yourself if you already have the workshop implementation? It will give you so much more customers. Away with the hand holding already.

Last edited:
...as it has been discussed many times before now, just because I still have high hopes doesnt mean I'm naive.

Wow! I don't think you're "naive'"at all..."repetitive" perhaps.

As you pointed out this has been discussed many times before, yet here you are again putting so much effort into yet another thread on the exact same topic...

LOL!

Gravitron. There. There are three other coaster games with a working one and Planet Coaster has two fake ones on the workshop (one is called Black Hole) but not a working ride yet. I tried to make one and put a flat ride inside, but it didn’t turn out so good. The makers of the fake ones did a better job. Also, how about a double Ferris wheel, a classic wheel with forward open seats, and a giant wheel like the ones in RCT3 and RCTW?

Gravitron. There. There are three other coaster games with a working one and Planet Coaster has two fake ones on the workshop (one is called Black Hole) but not a working ride yet. I tried to make one and put a flat ride inside, but it didn’t turn out so good. The makers of the fake ones did a better job. Also, how about a double Ferris wheel, a classic wheel with forward open seats, and a giant wheel like the ones in RCT3 and RCTW?
Why do you want a Gravitron so bad? Just because other games have it, doesn't mean Planet Coaster needs it too. And please no more Ferris Wheels, there are enough in the game as it is. If they make another ride DLC, I'd want it to have unique rides, stuff we don't have in the game currently. A spinning box is not interesting to me at all.

What about when I want to recreate a real park and they have a flat that is not in the game? Let’s say I was going to recreate a carnival and it has a Gravitron and double Ferris wheel? Build it in Parkitect or RCT3, or build it in PC with a fake Gravitron and no double Ferris wheel?

What about when I want to recreate a real park and they have a flat that is not in the game? Let’s say I was going to recreate a carnival and it has a Gravitron and double Ferris wheel? Build it in Parkitect or RCT3, or build it in PC with a fake Gravitron and no double Ferris wheel?
Well unfortunately, you will just have to build it in a different game if you want to that bad. You've got to understand that they're not going to put every single flat ride in the world into Planet Coaster.

You've also got to think about the developers and Frontier as a company. When they make the ride DLC packs, I imagine they have their own personal list of what they want in the game, but they also need to think about what the community have asked for most. They want each DLC pack to sell as many copies as possible, so including fan-requested rides that have been suggested a ton will make them the sales (E.g. Chairlift, Mack coaster etc). I don't think there is much of a cry for a spinning box ride or a 4th Ferris Wheel, so there is less of a chance we will see it.

Top Bottom