No, the Next Era is not space legs... But I think I know what it is.

The idea of a full scale war with the thargoid world is nice, however there's one problem: the whole thargoid invasion thing was made to appeal to only a small fraction of the player base. Most people just don't bother because it's too expensive, too time consuming, to far away, to complicated, and not rewarding enough.

A paid update that's mostly focused on a niche activity that most players don't bother doing would be a terrible idea. They would need to make thargoids fighting a more widespread thing first, and then they could think about doing it.

Except this wouldn't only benefit combat-oriented PvE, AX players. The fleets will need materials, the new worlds will need mapping, and even PvPers might have something to say about it. It adds an element of "end-game" to every aspect of gameplay currently available.

I take it you haven't seen the leak? 2020 will bring space legs and base building.

Just took a peak. Well, like I said, here's hoping.

The idea of a full scale war with the thargoid world is nice, however there's one problem: the whole thargoid invasion thing was made to appeal to only a small fraction of the player base. Most people just don't bother because it's too expensive, too time consuming, to far away, to complicated, and not rewarding enough.

A paid update that's mostly focused on a niche activity that most players don't bother doing would be a terrible idea. They would need to make thargoids fighting a more widespread thing first, and then they could think about doing it.

Well when your meta grinding stations start burning, maybe you'll help us instead of whining about not getting enough fake space bux for shooting down the aliens.

Except this wouldn't only benefit combat-oriented PvE, AX players. The fleets will need materials, the new worlds will need mapping, and even PvPers might have something to say about it. It adds an element of "end-game" to every aspect of gameplay currently available.

Still, doesn't change the fact that a majority of players would not be interested. The reason why thargoid content only appeals to a minority is because it's simply not that rewarding, regardless of what your playstyle is.

Don't expect the average player to be interested in Thargoids when the game requires them to go to 3rd party websites in order to just figure out what the story line is and how to experience it.

Still, doesn't change the fact that a majority of players would not be interested. The reason why thargoid content only appeals to a minority is because it's simply not that rewarding, regardless of what your playstyle is.

Don't expect the average player to be interested in Thargoids when the game requires them to go to 3rd party websites in order to just figure out what the story line is and how to experience it.

I anticipate there would be a lot of other changes, too. Just look at what they did with the Codex. They basically took all the exploration data off the wiki and threw it into the UI. They could easily do the same with Thargoid-relevant information. Galnet is already there.

I feel like you're missing a big point here - there are a LOT of players that don't care about credits anymore. We have been grinding, earning ships, engineering those ships, getting bored of those ships, then starting over for something like five years now. They can implement rewards that aren't just "here's a bucketload of credits" that people might actually be interested in. If all you want is credits, go mine void opals.

Well when your meta grinding stations start burning, maybe you'll help us instead of whining about not getting enough fake space bux for shooting down the aliens.

I'm not whining about anything. I'm merely stating the fact that people aren't interested in fake fighting fake aliens if there aren't fake space bux involved. That's just the way it is. If my station starts burning, I'll find a new station and I won't care about it. They obviously can't burn everything, otherwise people would simply stop playing the game.

No game developer would punish the playerbase for not engaging in content, rather than trying to make the content more appealing to the players. That would be an extremely foolish decision.

there are a LOT of players that don't care about credits anymore. We have been grinding, earning ships, engineering those ships, getting bored of those ships, then starting over for something like five years now.

Frontier wont make a giant dlc update for "a lot of players". If they do something they know it has to appeal to the entire playerbase.

If all you want is credits, go mine void opals.

Credits, ranks, influence, engineering mods. Progression. If you have nothing else to work towards, well good for you, but you're not the majority here. If you're not happy about it you can go play other games.

Last edited:
If you're not happy about it you can go play other games.

But I do like the game, that's why I'm excited about this. The point is that we have tons of progression, with nothing to progress towards. There has been no reason to get that bigger ship, those stronger engines, more powerful weaponry - except because it's better, and I like it. Which is fine, but there is no true mechanical purpose to any of it. There's nowhere to go for any reason other than "because I wanted to." Giving players a sense of purpose is something that will appeal to the entire playerbase.

I like the suggestion that xeno ally could be a thing. Its not likely with the thargoids, but perhaps another alien race (who are still alive, so thanks but no thanks guardians). Inter-species trade negotiation events could be interesting. If there are any thargoid developments after the implementation of fleet carriers, it will likely be thargoid motherships, which we have to outfit our carriers to defend against.

I like the suggestion that xeno ally could be a thing. Its not likely with the thargoids, but perhaps another alien race (who are still alive, so thanks but no thanks guardians). Inter-species trade negotiation events could be interesting. If there are any thargoid developments after the implementation of fleet carriers, it will likely be thargoid motherships, which we have to outfit our carriers to defend against.

It's already canon that there are two warring thargoid factions, one of which is losing and was forced to retreat across the galaxy, and that is why we came into conflict with them in the first place. If that's not a setup for diplomatic relations, I don't know what is.

Well, here's hoping anyway. Fly dangerous, Commanders.

sounds possible, even plausible, but i don't really see the logic in your prediction. thargoids are a part of their 'story', carriers just carry ships, neither really suggests legs to me. i think that's your wish.

i do expect it will be something stunning. imo frontier live off their first impressions, which tend to be stunning. 1.0 was. first horizons release was. the rest has always been fluffy fluff or just ticking boxes.

i've no particular desire for legs, but would be ok with it, and i even think it could be any good. some eva component added to cockpits would be very nice.

what i would really like is a significant revamp in rendering of stars and planets and more places to go to with stuff to find. and moar science. i have zero hope re multiplayer combat (let alone with frontier style shooter on legszzzzzzz ...).

whatever it is at some point it will get a copycat grind 'progression' thrown on top (if it doesn't already come with one) which will kick all the fun deep into the doze of lifestyle gaming style ... but will be possible to ignore.

never mind. got everything right except the title :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It's already canon that there are two warring thargoid factions, one of which is losing and was forced to retreat across the galaxy, and that is why we came into conflict with them in the first place. If that's not a setup for diplomatic relations, I don't know what is.
The enemy of my enemy is only slightly less likely to blow me into smithereens?

I think you might be on to something with the Fleet Carriers. But then I also think, if there is somewhere far away players need to be to do some Thargoid stuff, why not just use a megaship? Still, I think you're on to something with the Thargoid stuff.

The Fleet Carrier's pretty much put a nail in the coffin of space legs, for me.
They aren't going to launch a mega ship like that which is essentially a moving space station, and not have you be able to walk around in it if they were soon going to announce the ability to walk everywhere.

Still got my fingers crossed for atmospheric planet landings, bringing the game world into line with Frontier: Elite Dangerous 2. That was always more important to me.

The Fleet Carrier's pretty much put a nail in the coffin of space legs, for me.
They aren't going to launch a mega ship like that which is essentially a moving space station, and not have you be able to walk around in it if they were soon going to announce the ability to walk everywhere.

Still got my fingers crossed for atmospheric planet landings, bringing the game world into line with Frontier: Elite Dangerous 2. That was always more important to me.
Why do you assume that we wouldn't be able to walk around Fleet Carriers once Space Legs is implemented?

Most people just don't bother because it's too expensive, too time consuming, to far away, to complicated, and not rewarding enough.

...and incredibly backward in thinking imo.

that by the year 3000, awareness still identifies itself with the garment its wearing and continues to be so easily prodded like cattle to fight
our own creations in our dreamscape muggles calls reality is ever so backward and far more than just --meh

If Thargoid "eggs" (call it what you will) but only obtainable from a Thargoid nest on foot, became the new void opal, the paradigm of where credit obsessed players would go would change. One of the big problems with Legs is the respawn if you die. Do you respawn at your ship or the nearest station! If fleet carriers also act as a re-spawn point then fighting on foot outside the bubble becomes a legitimate possibility. The limited jump range and heavy fuel cost will mean the fleet carrier is not viable for full on exploration.

It'd be kinda Mass Effect-ish to just not finish a storyline important to the universe of the game. Thargoids storyline gotta go somewhere. People shouldn't just shun an entire aspect of the game.

we already know that next update is walking and base building. Hopefully last part not only means building bases but also being able to customise the internals of our ships and their rooms.

That some bases can be chosen by Frontier to be replicated across populated systems so as to create a more diverse range of bases .

I'm sure as part of this update there will be a extensive upgrade to the mission system. That we will get a upgrade of the planet terrain generator to enable caves and lava tubes that can be explored on foot, may be.

I'm 100% sure, if it doesn't have in the december update, that 2020 update will finally introduce in jumping of assets like megaships instead of this happening only on a thursdays when the servers are taken offline for maintenance. It be nice if they could even eliminate their off line maintenance period.

Top Bottom