General / Off-Topic When did the Android Play Store become so slippery?

Just got a new phone so I figured I'd put some games on it.

I've always had a handful of basic games on my phone - things like solitaire, sudoku, chess etc - so I stuck them back on.
I also installed a couple of old favorites such as Plants vs Zombies and Neverwinter Nights.
I also, also, put the new ES Blades game on it (cos I'm a total Skyrim fanboy) and a couple of similar games.

All fine so far.

Thing is, most of these games have in-game adverts, and this is where it starts to become a bit sketchy.

I'll see an in-game advert for, say, a "survival" game, I'll click the link to install it and the game I end up with will actually be a card game.
Alternatively, I'll see an advert for a "detective" game, install it and it'll turn out to be an arcade game.
Or I'll see an advert for a "Brain Training" game, install it and it'll turn out to be "match three" game.
Or an RTS which turns out to be another arcade game.
Etc.

Did Android just stop giving a poop about truthful advertising on their platform or is this the result or, perhaps, asian companies flooding the Play Store with so many cut/paste games that Android can't regulate it?

With the countless times spyware/other junk has been injected into ads, I'm surprised someone would voluntarily click on one.

With the countless times spyware/other junk has been injected into ads, I'm surprised someone would voluntarily click on one.

I'm not sure that's relevant.
I mean, any spyware/other junk will be hidden so caveat emptor.

when a company's just flat-out not providing the app' they're advertising, you'd think that'd be something Android could/should take action over.

Either way, my original question still applies; did Android just stop giving a crap or is it all just raging out of control these days?

I don't see how it has anything to do with Android, you should be directing your question to the app maker who doesn't seem to know how to point to their own services, or the advertising company that runs the ads.
Or are you saying it's Android advertising these other games?

I don't see how it has anything to do with Android, you should be directing your question to the app maker who doesn't seem to know how to point to their own services, or the advertising company that runs the ads.
Or are you saying it's Android advertising these other games?

If they're on the Android Play Store, surely Android is responsible for curating the content?

Not in this case, in my opinion. You're saying the games have in game adverts, and as such, the content belongs to the gave devs, not android.
Android can pull apps, sure, but what the apps do has nothing to do with Android QC.
I'm sure goog would get involved if the app really misbehaved, but AFAIK you're talking about sloppy programming form the app side, which doesn't affect the OS in any way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom