Why don't space-based installations have landing pads?

Yeah, I know, its a game, but its just something that makes me scratch that immersion itch.

I look at those installations (and pad-less megaships) and wonder - how do they get people and supplies on and off them without pads? I wonder if its going to be the same thing for FC Support Ships - I see no pads on them, so how are the support ships going to support their carriers without the means to transfer supplies to them?

Its like seeing Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5 or even the ISS with no docking ports. Nice to look at, but kinda pointless.

Last edited:
The Farragut and Majestic class ships can launch craft up to Corvette and Cutter size, they don't have any pads. The devs mentioned that they would like to expand on the larger facilities, I'd say eventually we'll be able to dock with them.

Interesting question, though I doubt you'll get a concrete answer beyond speculations. Some of the bigger installations actually have a landing pad btw. The other day I was doing a surface mission that triggered all defences. One of which was a battle ready T10 launching from its pad.
That said, your concerns about supplies are actually also moot as you can easily land beside such an installation and enter it with your SRV.

He's talking about those massive space installations.

Interesting question, though I doubt you'll get a concrete answer beyond speculations. Some of the bigger installations actually have a landing pad btw. The other day I was doing a surface mission that triggered all defences. One of which was a battle ready T10 launching from its pad.
That said, your concerns about supplies are actually also moot as you can easily land beside such an installation and enter it with your SRV.

Sorry, I meant space-based installations. Sooner or later, the poor people trapped inside them are going to require fresh fruit. No pads? No fruit. :oops:

Once we get a moon or mars base, how do you think they'll get supplies from here to there in the beginning years? They'll have to land a rocket on the dirt and humans with dollies and forklifts will come scurrying out of a warehouse to the cargo bay

Ok, I've changed the title to clarify that I'm talking about space-based installations.

Variety is the spice of life. When ED gets ship-to-installation docking then it will all be clear to you ;)

I'm sure they have docking tubes or something to transfer supplies, i.e similar to how the ISS gets their supplies

That would be some decent gameplay right there, dock your ship's supply tube to the installation which would, erm, well, suck in the supplies from your cargo bay.....in a totally non-sexual way of course. 😀

That works for people, what about food?

Well since the people are there via telepresence, it's safe to assume they either walk to their own food dispensers, or have someone make and bring them a sammich while they're plugged into the telepresence unit.

Have you tried eating Telepresence food? :)
No need - they could be only tele-present on the craft rather than actually be on the craft. :rolleyes:

That being said - people/cargo transfer pods/limpets is one obvious way it could be implemented (c/f the ISS comparison above).

Here's the embarrassing truth - they constructed these mega ships around the cargo they carry, and plain forgot to leave an access way to it, which is why you see these mega ships cruising around, but never landing, docking, or meeting up with any other ships, stations, installations or facilities. They're staffed and crewed by the most dedicated telepresence operators, with the highest of security clearances, to keep The Great Secret.

Top Bottom