No Artificial Gravity Proven- In Game Photo!

Also I completely don't understand why wtfdev had to go backwards and go with "no artificial gravity". But I guess if you want ships handling like WW2 planes ;P

Currently the problem gets solved by electro magnetism and exoskeletons. And people are like "but that's like space fantasy, such technology doesn't exist!"
You want to solve it by artificial gravity. Guess what people would be like?

By this I assume you mean the that the suit is an exoskeleton and therefore reinforces you. Problem is, it also adds mass, so unless it reinforces your joints with servo-motors, that'd be even more mass your ankles/knees/hips would have to react to so that you could "walk" effectively with mag-boots. Honestly, in my humble opinion, simple free-floating (maybe with micro-thruster assist) is your best option for moving about the cabin. :)
I posted a 60 years old image of a 5 MB hard drive above. There is no reason you couldn't design more efficient technology in a futuristic space game.

I posted a 60 years old image of a 5 MB hard drive above. There is no reason you couldn't design more efficient technology in a futuristic space game.

I don't disagree. My point was, however, that free-floating with the previously suggested micro-thrusters is a more likely simpler solution than a powered exo-suite. But as we're in the realm of theory here... so is artificial gravity. ;)

Also I completely don't understand why wtfdev had to go backwards and go with "no artificial gravity". But I guess if you want ships handling like WW2 planes ;P

Thamks - I do follow why Frontier opted to forgo any sort of “induced gravity”. They’re trying to portray as much scientific accuracy as is fun to play.

Too much hard science, and the “fun factor” becomes inversely proportional to accuracy.

Too much soft science and the believability becomes inversely proportional.

So Frontier has tried to strike a balance between the two. It’s better than most.

I think the true lore of ED is that all commanders are Middle aged Incels, using HoloMe's to remote control their ships from their bedrooms scattered around the Bubble.

A holoMe does not need to worry about G-Forces or generous waistlines.

I don't disagree. My point was, however, that free-floating with the previously suggested micro-thrusters is a more likely simpler solution than a powered exo-suite. But as we're in the realm of theory here... so is artificial gravity. ;)
Artificial gravity has already been ruled out by FDEV. ;)

The theoretical chaos will settle out in the end.
For those that know what they're talking about, perhaps. For the likes of me, that just about get what is even being questioned; it's so beautifully fantastic. Honestly, feel free to laugh because I won't mind and life's too short to cry all the time, when Waves and Particles were mentioned I thought, 'if a particle wobbles about it will make waves so what's the problem?'. If I put my finger (particle) in a bath (field) and wiggled it about it would make ripples (waves), so I didn't understand the double slit experiment. I didn't see the problem because I didn't understand the conditions of the question (I reached 42, basically). I felt stupid for years. I watched a video presented by Professor Jim Al-Khalili, and there was a physical demonstration that made it click for me. His illustration just hit the nail on the head. I had at last lost my virginity and wanted to shout from the roof tops 'I get the question now!'.

Like Matter/Anti Matter annihilation. (Black Hole) If a matter/antimatter pair (not doing the 'something from nothing' here :D) come into 'being', but one of the 'twins' went over the event horizon, then the other can't be annihilated, so will continue to exist.The culmination of this 'extra' matter will create energy. I think this is Hawking Radiation. Bet I'm wrong, though.

It's difficult without the right scientific language, let alone understanding, to describe thought experiments. I had another sleepless night thinking about Black Holes. I realise that trying to visualise these things is futile; that's why they are described mathematically and usually X10 to the power of ridiculous, but I was going with the Time and Space (same thing, I know) swapping places. I saw the graph on 'PBS Space Time' and understood enough about what was being proposed. Anyway, I imagined an object, let's say a tin of baked beans, past the event horizon and going down (I know, just let me say down for now) to the singularity. Aftger 'spaghettification', the tin will be broken down to it's smallest components. What I did then was twisted my head without the aid of 'funny fungus', and 'thought' a 'time rainbow'. I thought about a fundamental particle (like a raindrop in our space time) making a rainbow in 'time'. Not a visual rainbow, not a rainbow that you could paint on canvas, but time itself divided into frequencies. Of course this is probably rubbish, but it was worth the lack of sleep.

^I love Quantum Mechanics. If you are looking for someone who can clearly explain things, look no further than the genius that is Sean Carrol -

The podcasts are great for long commutes, or just in the background whilst working form home. Also google 'Wave function collapse ' will help you get your head around the double slit experiment.

Last edited:
Thanks to all.

I was too many decades in aerospace, so Frontiers claims of "no artificial gravity/acceleration compensation" just hit a raw nerve for me.

Of course it's a game. The playability vs realism argument will never die. It's just nobody seems to have commented on the inherent contradiction of a zero gravity environment, without belts or harnesses. Make all the assertions for the Magical Remlok you like, it's even more rediculous than having Trek style falling out of chairs on the bridge...

And if seat belts are all you need to put your worries regarding consistency at rest, why don't you go make a legit suggestion for it instead of constantly seeking to insult the rest of us with that petty sarcasm that has permeated all of your posts for the past two years?
No, I think things like this make a fun read.
You don't need seat belts, the remlok suit is locked to the seat, just look at empty seat to see these mechanism.
About walking in ships:

ref. Remlok Suits - ED wiki
I want to see those microthrusters burn through the overgarment we can buy in the shop :LOL:
Yup, my point was just that some people might call it unrealistic how the Remlok Suite has such great functionality.
Well if I told someone 60 years ago that a SSD will have a million times more capacity while being 1/1000 of the size he would've told me that I am a mad man. Elite Dangerous takes place 1000 years in the future. Everything is possible.
ED is a dystopian low-tech game, where we don't even have rear cameras. Yet somehow our suits are technology marvels ?
Holograms are only used for SLF and Multicrew, so...
In my headcanon it isn't us in the cockpits. It's androids that we remore control from somewhere. Helps rationalize things like respawning at the last docked location and stuff. New ship, new android pilot.

Thanks to all.

I was too many decades in aerospace, so Frontiers claims of "no artificial gravity/acceleration compensation" just hit a raw nerve for me.

Of course it's a game. The playability vs realism argument will never die. It's just nobody seems to have commented on the inherent contradiction of a zero gravity environment, without belts or harnesses. Make all the assertions for the Magical Remlok you like, it's even more rediculous than having Trek style falling out of chairs on the bridge...
When I am back at my PC I'll use some image manipulation sorcery and draw a few red circles.

ED is a dystopian low-tech game, where we don't even have rear cameras. Yet somehow our suits are technology marvels ?
We have FTL travel and fusion reactors in our ships. Exoskeletons already exist today. Give them a 1000 years (if humanity doesn't kill itself in the meantime) and it gets very likely.

The playability vs realism argument will never die. It's just nobody seems to have commented on the inherent contradiction of a zero gravity environment, without belts or harnesses. Make all the assertions for the Magical Remlok you like, it's even more rediculous than having Trek style falling out of chairs on the bridge...

Space Magic. 🤷‍♂️

I think the description lacks of proper technical wording but it covers the basic concept that we can walk on the ship floor thanks to an artificial magnetic field generated between the boots and the floor. So no artificial gravity.
Proximity PWM Electromagnets > Artificial Sci-fi Magic
🕺

Would be cool if we could power it down, or if the ship/suit goes offline, we get to float around and bump into stuff. I'm guessing that's not really high on the dev. list though, due to the difficulty of implementation and game-play practicality, unfortunately.

Last edited:
You are looking at deceleration forces of around 60g (negative) in a plane crash. Our cmdrs will happily plow into a station with G5 shields and experience well over 100g. Why are we talking about seat-belts or being attached to the chair via a suit? 😂
Only 60 Gs? Crashing into a large pillow? That's actually a rather low figure, all things considered. Also, there's a big difference between momentary and sustained Gs. With the former, broken necks, etc. are more of a concern than blacking out.

But anyway, my general view regarding these sorts of things is that even though the game might not always make the most sense, it's still a good thing if it reasonably tries to where it can, for the simple reason that I don't care to be repeatedly reminded that what I'm playing at is a farce and that I should just not bother with it.

Last edited:
Only 60 Gs? Crashing into a large pillow? That's actually a rather low figure, all things considered. Also, there's a big difference between momentary and sustained. With the former, broken necks, etc. are more of a concern than blacking out.
Combat has lots of such movement moments (pun intended). :)

Note: try executing an 8G+ missile evasion break turn, and claim that it has had no physiological effect.
Neck, shoulder, and back pain/injuries are common for tactical drivers. Mine still hurts.

Top Bottom