Isn't it time for Deadly?

The second is what I mentioned. Saying "I hope ED still exists ten years from now" really doesnt count as a plan. The first you mentioned is of a forum user saying someone else at some point said there is a plan, without any additional info about who said it, or what he means with a plan. Sorry, that doesn't count either. I can quote dozens of forum members claiming there is a plan, but none of them matter.

So, again: can anyone point to anyone from FD saying they have a legit plan spanning ten years? Not someone saying they heard someone else say something about a plan, not someone saying he hopes the game still exists in one form or another in ten years, but an actual plan.

The first you mentioned is of a forum user saying someone else at some point said there is a plan, without any additional info about who said it, or what he means with a plan. Sorry, that doesn't count either.
Vingtetun is one of Hutton Truckers' main CMDRs, co-organiser of the annual Elite Community Meet, and a regular at LaveCon. The post I linked is his brief summary of FDev's Q&A Panel at LaveCon 2015.

Vingtetun is one of Hutton Truckers' main CMDRs, co-organiser of the annual Elite Community Meet, and a regular at LaveCon. The post I linked is his brief summary of FDev's Q&A Panel at LaveCon 2015.

Again: he is just a forum member who claims he heard someone else say something about a 10 year plan. That is great and all, but what I asked for was if anyone got anything from an actual FD employee publicly saying they do have a ten year plan at any point during the last eight years. Because this started with 'FD totally said this many times in newsletters and posts!' and then devolved to 'this one community member said at one time that some other dude said something about having a plan'. You can praise Vingetun all you want, but it is a far cry from 'FD totally publicly mentioned this plan many times!'.

So, again: do you have a primary source or not? Because the piles of people who totally heard FD mention the plan so very often without having any evidence at all mean as much to me as all the people who totally saw the Loch Ness monster so very often without having any evidence at all.

Last edited:
Can you link these several posts and news letters? Because all anyone ever was able to come up with is a single quote by DB, saying he would love to support ED for a very long time, even ten years if possible. That is literally the only mentioning of a 'ten year plan' anyone has been able to show so far. Atmo, space legs and stuff was used as an example of things they hoped to do one day, but not for free. No mentioning of any time plan on any scale ever existed for that either.
I'm not going to data mine all the newsletters, but be my guest here are all letter from #49 http://battleleague.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=118
However as you have been here since 2014, it's kind of weird you didn't read all the posts made about this topic raging for years on the forums.
more infor here. https://joystickrequired.com/forums/elite-dangerous-news.160/page-4?order=post_date

here is an old post with some info. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/roadmap-after-release.74798/post-1426683

It looks like FDEV locked all the old stuff behind a nice big beautiful wall.

Last edited:
Again: he is just a forum member who claims he heard someone else say something about a 10 year plan. That is great and all, but what I asked for was if anyone got anything from an actual FD employee publicly saying they do have a ten year plan at any point during the last eight years. Because this started with 'FD totally said this many times in newsletters and posts!' and then devolved to 'this one community member said at one time that some other dude said something about having a plan'. You can praise Vingetun all you want, but it is a far cry from 'FD totally publicly mentioned this plan many times!'.

So, again: do you have a primary source or not? Because the piles of people who totally heard FD mention the plan so very often without having any evidence at all mean as much to me as all the people who totally saw the Loch Ness monster so very often without having any evidence at all.
I don't think there is an audio/video recording of FDev's Q&A panel at LaveCon 2015, from which Vingetun kindly gave us a brief summary.

I don't think there is an audio/video recording of FDev's Q&A panel at LaveCon 2015, from which Vingetun kindly gave us a brief summary.
But anyways - TEN YEAR PLAN CONFIRMED! \o/

of course the true way we know is from the disgruntled lepers - they often talk about "getting free stuff for 10 years", so it must be true (y)

Ah, and all countless newsletters and posts that people used to claim proofed the plan was really for realz? All vanished too? And the dozens upon dozens of hours of recorded videos with devs and DB? Nothing there? And the recordings of other lavecons? Also nothing? And nobody else at that lavecon had anything to say on that topic either? So literally all you have is Vingetun saying somebody said something about a plan existing?

Okay then. Its all very compelling, colour me convinced!

I guess the 2020 update will be kind of like a new game.

Not sure why you need to guess when we all know already.

This update is going back to Elite: Harmless - It looks like you going the wrong way OP, we are in race to the BOTTOM HERE, Me BOY!

Last edited:
So.. "optimization from scratch" is one of worst things possible in software development. Though I understand you as user.

So.. "optimization from scratch" is one of worst things possible in software development.

do you? i think he's just not familiar with the terminology (like most users). ofc early optimization is bad but i think he means 'built better from the start'. technically speaking, better design and architectural choices. some of his suggestions are quite good, point to fundamental flaws in the current system and thus totally fall into this category (i.e., can't be 'optimized away'), e.g. networking and seamless instances.

i actually agree with him, i don't think current elite is a good foundation for the next. practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
Ah, and all countless newsletters and posts that people used to claim proofed the plan was really for realz? All vanished too? And the dozens upon dozens of hours of recorded videos with devs and DB? Nothing there? And the recordings of other lavecons? Also nothing? And nobody else at that lavecon had anything to say on that topic either? So literally all you have is Vingetun saying somebody said something about a plan existing?

Okay then. Its all very compelling, colour me convinced!
Hahaha, chill Winston 😂

... which goes to Vingetetun's post which Ian doesn't like... I think ... bit I don't care anyway :)

Its even funnier: that page actually has a direct quote of David Braben where he explicitly explains the 'ten year plan' is not actually a ten year plan, but just, you know, a plan or list of things they'd love to do. A plan that he says might take ten years, or eight, or twelve, or any other number of years. If they can keep working on ED for decades while making a profit they will. If not they wont. Its like common sense almost.

Paraphrasing DB:"There are many interesting things we could do, and I hope we eventually will do them. It may take many years, 8, 10, 12, its hard to predict those things. I hope that in ten years ED is still alive and kicking, and we added great things to it!"

We do have a long plan. It would take us a long time to deliver all the things that we want to do. The great thing is the more things get added to the end of it. So it may well be never ending. I've said sort of 8 years, 10 years, but actually it could end up and I'm hoping it'll be a lot longer than that. The key point is we'll keep doing exciting things and we'll work out how best to do that."

It is so far removed from the idea of the mythical ten year plan its comical. From the start they had the idea of a barebones launch version, and piles of stuff they want to add. That would take many years, and they hoped they'd get that far. It depends on how well the game does. They might develop everything they wanted, less, or maybe even more. They might stop developing after Next Era, they might continue all the way to 2024 and they might even continue years after that.

Last edited:
Its even funnier: that page actually has a direct quote of David Braben where he explicitly explains the 'ten year plan' is not actually a ten year plan, but just, you know, a plan. A plan that he says might take ten years, or eight, or twelve, or any other number of years. Its like common sense almost.

Paraphrasing DB:"There are many interesting things we could do, and I hope we eventually will do them. It may take many years, 8, 10, 12, its hard to predict those things. I hope that in ten years ED is still alive and kicking, and we added great things to it!"

It is so far removed from the idea of the mythical ten year plan its comical. From the start they had the idea of a barebones launch version, and piles of stuff they want to add. That would take many years, and they hoped they'd get that far. It depends on how well the game does. They might develop everything they wanted, less, or maybe even more. They might stop developing after Next Era, they might continue all the way to 2024 and they might even continue years after that.
heh - so another one of those things where someone says something off the cuff and it's then brought up forever. I am not surprised :)

Top Bottom