Celebrating 35 years of Elite!

I think the best moment for me would have to be playing on the PS4 version of the game but I completely was being dumb, kept over shooting how much fuel I had and kept making silly jump. Ended up meeting some guys who helped me refuel using their limpets after each jump. It made me feel so connected. Since then I have flown with them many times. Like heading to the high g planet and see who can land. Epic battles in civil war systems and also figuring out how to kill a thargoid for the first time.

There are many others but this stands out! Shout out to Dyd, Nightglide and sluggishone!

PC - Jack Wilmslow
PS4 - JackWilmslow

(Any account will do, pref both but PS4 one would be great!)

My favourite memory of playing Elite was when it was finally released for the ZX Spectrum. Until then my only experience of Elite was though my "Rich" schoolate who had a BBC Model B. He allow me to watch him play and make comments but I wasn't allowed to touch (This was Twitch before the internet).
I'd re-arranged my bedroom so as to make myself a cockpit and dove right in, making all the trades and decisions I'd bee waiting to do all that time. I have to say I took great delight in relaying to my schoolmate the details of the "unique" supernova mission the Spectrum had that the orginal did not.

Cmdr Mathew Child

Cmdr Delmonte and Cmdr outspan, Playing at first release of ED using an Xbox Controller, We had manged to get into a Cobra via Rare trading. :) We shared the controlls, She Flew I Fought, ..... Then .... One Day...... Whislt Docking ....... I passed her the controll to dock, But we had forgotten the docking request. In my haste to take it back and turn us around ...... One of us hit B .. Bound to BOOST .... Into the back of the staion...... And back to the Reuby screen...... Oh how we laughed !!!!! :eek:

Greetings Commanders,

Over the years, the Elite series of games has grown and evolved, starting all the way from the first Elite (published on this very day in 1984) to the Elite Dangerous we have today!

For the 35th anniversary of Elite 1984, we want to look back and celebrate each and every Commander who has shared this incredible ride with us.

Haven't had the chance to earn your wings in the iconic Elite? Claim your free copy on the Frontier Store for PC and Mac here.

As a gift for every Commander, head over to the in-game store, and you will be able to claim your own Retro Thargoid Bobblehead, available until 23 September (16:00 UTC) for 1 ARX.

But that's not all! Alongside this octagonal interloper, we've got 35 Cobra MK III Classic Wireframe Paint Jobs to give away. To be in with the chance to win one of these Paint Jobs, all you need to do is reply to this thread, telling us about your favourite memory playing one of the Elite games. Don't forget to include your Commander Name to be eligible to win!

The competition will run from now until 23 September (11:00 UTC) and winners will be contacted by 25 September (11:00 UTC). With the aid of the Elite Dangerous development team, our top 35 favourite comments will be rewarded with the Paint Job.

You can also get involved over on Steam, Twitter and Facebook! Please find all of the Terms and Conditions below.

Whether you've only just donned your flight suit, or you've been with us over the last 35 years, thank you for all of your passion and support!

Fly safe.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS (FORUM/STEAM)
  • Prize: One (1) Cobra MK III Classic Wireframe Paint Job. (35 per platform – Frontier Forums, Steam, Facebook and Twitter)
  • One submission per person (per platform).
  • You only officially enter the competition when you reply, with your favourite Elite Dangerous memory, to the relevant competition thread/post.
  • Be sure to include your Commander Name in your reply to be eligible to win.
  • The competition closes on Monday 23 September (2019) at 11:00 UTC.
  • The winners will be announced by Wednesday 25 September (2019) and prizes will be credited directly to the winner's account.
  • The winners will be chosen by a panel of Elite Dangerous developers.
  • Objectionable or offensive content will be disqualified.
  • No submission should violate the Elite Dangerous EULA and TOS.
  • Frontier Developments has the right to remove any entry at their sole discretion
  • Frontier Developments employees are excluded from participating in the event.
  • Frontier Developments reserve the right to exchange any prize for a prize of similar value.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS (FACEBOOK/TWITTER)
  • Prize: One (1) Cobra MK III Classic Wireframe Paint Job. (35 per platform – Frontier Forums, Steam, Facebook and Twitter)
  • You only officially enter the competition when you reply, with your favourite Elite Dangerous memory, to the relevant competition thread/post.
  • The winners will be contacted by the Frontier Community Team via Facebook DM, Twitter DM or Forum DM. Please ensure you are following @EliteDangerous on Twitter to allow us to contact you.
  • The winners have 7 days to respond and claim the prize; if no response has been received after 7 days, you forfeit your prize.
  • The winners will be announced by Wednesday 25 September (2019) and prizes will be credited directly to the winner's account.
  • Frontier Developments has the right to remove any entry at their sole discretion
  • Frontier Developments reserve the right to exchange any prize for a prize of similar value.

Happy 35th Anniversary Elite!

CMDR Felix Rowan
My favourite Elite Dangerous memory is definitely arriving at Beagle Point after an awesome 5-month journey in my trusty and beloved Cobra Mk III 'Voyager' at the end of Distant Worlds 2! An important part of that memory was being joined by friends I'd made throughout the trip and doing fun activites together. These included a playful space race for the final leg of the journey (I won!), having fantastic fun hanging around on Beagle Point 2, holding SRV races, posing for photos, and visiting other nearby planets and systems. It was the culmination of a really epic journey, and was an unforgettable experience for me. I think it really showed what Elite Dangerous should be about, which in my opinion is working and having fun together with fellow commanders, while at the same time each person still blazes their own trail, showing off their different styles, different ships, different liveries, and more! The whole experience of that journey showed a thriving community, and I think that is one of the most important and special things about Elite Dangerous. This is why arriving at Beagle Point for the first time is my favourite memory of Elite Dangerous. o7

So, I have about 2300 hours in Elite at the moment, and a couple of memories come to mind, most involving other players...
I think the one that stands out most to me happened within the first 5 hours of my getting my pilots licence with my CMDR (CMDR kizcat).

I was in the starter ship, had been flying in normal space in the starter system for about half an hour trying to get to another station and figure out supercruise, anyway, I managed that, was heading towards this station, and no more than 2 minutes after figuring it out was interdicted by another player. Being new I obviously lost the interdiction, and had no idea what was happening so just tried to run.
The other CMDR kept up easily, flying sideways in a Cobra MK III, shot me a few times and then told me to stop.
It turns out he was flying around helping noobs! He dropped me a couple of stolen cargo (I think it was slaves) and walked me through and followed me step by step on how to and where to go in the system to sell them on the black market. All to give me a little boost of money at the start. I think he spent about an hour or so with me, followed me to the stations and everything, then flew off to find someone else to help!

Greetings Commanders,

Over the years, the Elite series of games has grown and evolved, starting all the way from the first Elite (published on this very day in 1984) to the Elite Dangerous we have today!

For the 35th anniversary of Elite 1984, we want to look back and celebrate each and every Commander who has shared this incredible ride with us.

Haven't had the chance to earn your wings in the iconic Elite? Claim your free copy on the Frontier Store for PC and Mac here.

As a gift for every Commander, head over to the in-game store, and you will be able to claim your own Retro Thargoid Bobblehead, available until 23 September (16:00 UTC) for 1 ARX.

But that's not all! Alongside this octagonal interloper, we've got 35 Cobra MK III Classic Wireframe Paint Jobs to give away. To be in with the chance to win one of these Paint Jobs, all you need to do is reply to this thread, telling us about your favourite memory playing one of the Elite games. Don't forget to include your Commander Name to be eligible to win!

The competition will run from now until 23 September (11:00 UTC) and winners will be contacted by 25 September (11:00 UTC). With the aid of the Elite Dangerous development team, our top 35 favourite comments will be rewarded with the Paint Job.

You can also get involved over on Steam, Twitter and Facebook! Please find all of the Terms and Conditions below.

Whether you've only just donned your flight suit, or you've been with us over the last 35 years, thank you for all of your passion and support!

Fly safe.

• The winners will be contacted by the Frontier Community Team via Facebook DM, Twitter DM or Forum DM. Please ensure you are following @EliteDangerous on Twitter to allow us to contact you.
  • The winners have 7 days to respond and claim the prize; if no response has been received after 7 days, you forfeit your prize.

Favorite moments? There are many. Fighting off a wing of three pirates in my Cobra Mk III for the first time. Felt like the kid in the Last Starfighter movie.

Hello,

I afcourse have a fond memory of playing Frontier at my (at that time) girlfriends house on the computer (she and her family where watching stupid tv programs :) )
Currently that girl is my wife and now I play Elite - Dangerous while she and our kids watch stupid tv programs :) :)

But best experience was last year when I got pirated by another commander,

I was on my way to lave to offload a full round trip of rare goods to be interdicted, I got blasted to 50% hull and he kept yelling "DROP THE TEA"
I am like "dude I dont have Tea" im like what the hell does that guy want, we fight again and he gets me to 1 thats right ONE procent hull.
again he goes "DROP THE TEA" ,
again im like "I DONT HAVE TEA"
he's like "YES YOU DO I SCANNED YOU"
I again check my cargo to see if I accidently picked up some tea, only to realise he probably means the FUJIN TEA !!!! omg I laughed my off, dropped the FUJIN TEA, he picked it up , sayed "thank you" and was on his way.

Best pirate ever, he dident even want the other rare goods I had, but man I was 1% from loosing everything just because I tought he wanted some normal TEA (witch I dident have)

Always nice to mead nice pirate people ingame :)

commander Hansie

My brother was 18 years older than me and had a C64. He had Elite on tape and I would sit on his knee bashing the keyboard and crashing his Cobra. Eventually he taught me how to play and I got my own C64 and a copy of Elite. Never made it to Elite rank though :(

CMDR Lunchmoney

Greetings Commanders,

Fly safe.

Greetings Commanders,

Fly safe.

My favorite memory was when I traveled to Beagles Point with my IMPERIAL CUTTER. It was almost 60 days of travel, I discovered many Water Planets, Earth Likes and Neutron Stars.
There was a time when I almost gave up, because my Cutter's Jump Range was smaller than necessary to reach the nearest star. The almost total absence of stars made me feel ... loneliness, forgetfulness, abandonment. It was as if I died there, no one would know, no one would come to help me ... But I was determined to continue the journey and be one of the few to land on Beagles Point with an Imperial Cutter. I researched many star maps until I could find a route to get to my destination.
This was one of the best adventures I've had at Elite Dengerous. I'll never forget.

Congrats on 35 years old, and thanks for all you guys do!

o7

CMDR D'JANGO

My favourite memories are two:
  • The first time I bumped into a Thargoid ship, had my speakers set quite loud and all the room started trembling, it was awesome, such great sound design!
  • My second favourite memory was when I randomly teamed up with other players and formed a wing and got so many bounties that when I came back to the station was rich, but it wasn't the money, it was the fun of it and the way we protected each other and accomplished our community goal.

Wow, it must been in 1986, i had an Old TV Armchair with an tile glued on the right Arm Rest so i could attach the Joystick with its Suckers on the tile, C64 on my legs.
In Front of me that 13" Display. Playing Elite for Hours and hours. We had our very first Wireless Phone (Illegal in Germany at this Time) and i was talking to my friend while doing a long run trade when suddenly the Tahrgoids bumped me out of Witchspace in the fight began. I Yelled into the Phone" , those damned Aliens are around me i gotta fight" and throwed away the Phone. Next Day my friend called me and asked me with a very kind voice (like talking to someone insane) if am OK now, and what Aliens i'm talking about. He never understood what a game like Elite does to the addicted.

Best Tomkin [UGC]

Happy Anniversary Elite!

CMDR Joshua Macer

I have so Many wonderful memories from Elite Dangerous. Some of the most notable ones are defending the Gnosis and doing Distant Worlds. But my most precious memoriy was showing some of my squad mates the in game memorial for my wife's grand father ( a wonderful man and WW2 vet) and getting to honor his memory in game.
FDev. you guys rock. Thank you.

That glorious moment in the original game on the Acorn Electron when I avoided certain death in my first ever attempt at shooting down a missile :)

My favorite memory of Elite was when I finally went through the mailslot of a station for the very first time, playing the original Elite on a 2nd hand MSX (Bill Gates very own computer).

That was 30 years ago, when I was only 14, and I was playing a (bootlegged?) copy of Elite with friends. Back then, somewhere in South America, where we had no manuals, Google, or any reference materials to guide us, we didn't really know what we were supposed to do to enter a station. We literally pushed our poor Cobra MkIII through the mailslot hundreds of times, for months, in every possible way imaginable, until one day we went through and docked. What a joyous moment that was. We'd finally done it!!

Our happiness was imense, but short-lived, as we soon realized how many times we would have to do that again and again until we could afford a Docking Computer. But practice docking was all we needed, and we sure got lots of it. And that was only the beginning of the adventure, as the game really opened up for us.

I was playing Elite Dangerous the other day, approaching an asteroid base on my way to Colonia, when I remembered that day when I entered the mailslot for the first time on the original version, and it downed on me how farther we had come with Elite Dangerous. It also reminded me that, back then, I wished the wire frames and circles one day would become something much more special, it would feel much more real. And it really did!! Both of these were precious moments.

CMDR Jameson IX

Over and out.

See you in the black, CMDRs! o7

Last edited:
Fond memories? How about wounds? I have an actual physical scar over my right eyebrow from when I fell onto my BBC B while playing ELITE back in the mid-Eighties. It becomes more prominent when I'm stressed.

It's like that scene in JAWS.

Greetings Commanders,

Fly safe.

Greetings Commanders,

Fly safe.

My favorite memory is participating in DW2. What a great time! Having to decide whether to take a Conda for max jump range or something more nimble and maneuverable for landing on the planets. Following all of the stories of new discoveries and people crashing on high G planets. Always looking forward to the new destination and group jumps out of the current system. Getting together with other commanders at the different rendezvous points to mine, fight, race, and just goof off. The whole trip was epic.

CMDR VaDirtyEstilo

Attachments

• My ship.png
    My ship.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Staging for group jump.png
    Staging for group jump.png
    723 KB · Views: 212
Top Bottom