Planetary Nebula

I’m pleased to report that I have located and tagged one of the so called planetary nebula. As I had yet to add one of these to my collection of finds I left the bubble several weeks ago in hopes of finding one. From reading here at the forums my understanding was that they are rather difficult to find these day but decided to set to the grind and see what I could come up with. I found about 30 or so that had been tagged or listed in EDSM prior to coming across ROTHEE YU-Y E0 in Empyrean Straits. This is a black hole system bathed in a nice blue green glow and to my delight had yet to be discovered. Here are a few images I took before heading to the core to turn the data in.
99A7C329-D711-4613-BBA0-6BABC97E11FB.jpeg

This was the approach from a nearby M Dwarf star.

0AE3B189-CF60-4BD7-B502-2C949455106A.jpeg

98EA2385-2473-4337-8B9B-7410F521BCCF.jpeg

AEF10619-2F8C-4869-BDA8-4E6B1246AFE9.jpeg

49484686-D6AE-4BA7-BE63-DA8EB213EE86.jpeg

There are many landable bodies here and I do plan to return for more images in the future. Just wanted to share with the community and also attest that indeed these are still out there to be had, although likely few and far between.

Yes I found a few on my last run, unfortunately already tagged, oh well. I have yet to find my very own, I will one day I am sure.

Thanks so much all! These are very unique systems and was just pleased to report that there are still more out there for us to tag if we look hard enough. This game has so much to offer and its always nice to know that there is a lot off the beaten path that is still out there for us to find.

Yeah, they're getting scarce, but still out there. Checking them against EDSM will save you a lot of traveling, but most of the ones that are absent from EDSM are likely to be tagged too. The last time I was looking at building a list of the ones in the Colonia region, I lucked out and found one that was still untagged, between Colonia and Sag-A*. I think the reason it was overlooked for so long was that it was near the upper neutron layer, and Colonia is close to the lower one. I point this out mainly to say that it's probably a useful strategy to look at the places where they're more likely to have been overlooked.

Thanks for the input all! After reading the above, two more questions. As I see these are getting quite scarce do we have any other records of discoveries this year? The last I saw in other threads was that of a few being discovered and tagged last year but have not read any accounts this year yet. Essentially do we have an idea of just how scarce these amazing systems are becoming? Additionally, given the notion that this planetary nebula is not directly in the center (off pretty far in Empyrean Straits) and that it is so far below the galactic plane, which appears quite rare, would this be a suitable candidate system to propose to the galactic mapping project? Again thanks for the input and any additional thoughts are welcomed!

The problem there is that the journal doesn't log planetary nebulae in any way, so we're left with people manually submitting their discoveries. There is the Catalogue of Galactic Nebulae, but by that alone you can't tell when somebody last discovered a "fresh" nebula.
Well, at least as per this post, the last confirmed new discovery was May 27 this year, by CMDR Orvidius.

Thanks for the input all! After reading the above, two more questions. As I see these are getting quite scarce do we have any other records of discoveries this year? The last I saw in other threads was that of a few being discovered and tagged last year but have not read any accounts this year yet. Essentially do we have an idea of just how scarce these amazing systems are becoming? Additionally, given the notion that this planetary nebula is not directly in the center (off pretty far in Empyrean Straits) and that it is so far below the galactic plane, which appears quite rare, would this be a suitable candidate system to propose to the galactic mapping project? Again thanks for the input and any additional thoughts are welcomed!

Last year i had two long expeditions dedicated especially to finding untagged PNs. My last discovery was on November 29th, shortly before i headed back to Bubble. It is true that untagged PNs are getting very rare recently. I admit i contributed to that actually :p
I never looked beyond z=+/-1500. Within that range, PNs density is in its peak around z=+/-100 and diminishes when going up or down. But in the same time the % of untagged PNs increases with z and is in its lowes around galactic zero.
PNs at altitude 1000 or so are far fewer than at, lets say, 100 or 200. But still in Core there are plenty of them. At some point i found i triple PN, very close to each other, around that altitude. The highest/lowest i have found was somewhere around z=1450.
Nevertheless, finding an untegged PN is really cool, especially now days. GZ :)

Marx thanks so much for the links I’ll be having a look at them this evening. Pirin this particular PN is at Z=-2089 which I guess is the biggest reason why it was unfounded. I’m just so pleased I was able to locate it and given its extreme low level below the galactic plane will see about presenting it to the mapping project. Hedy I think your optimism is justified and if you stick to the grind you will find one...and one containing a ringed neutron would be amazing. Thanks again for all your input and thoughts. These systems are some of the best and along with a few of the C Class Carbon star systems I have tagged my favorite in the galaxy so far!

Yeah that s a nice find.

But i mean how do you even find/see a new one.

They all seems so.. Visible. Or are there small/remote ones you will only see when "accidentaly" zooming in?

Yeah that s a nice find.

But i mean how do you even find/see a new one.

They all seems so.. Visible. Or are there small/remote ones you will only see when "accidentaly" zooming in?

There are tiny and remote ones you gotta really look for. You stumble across them. I would post the name of the one I found way out west, but a whole bunch of my posts here seem to be missing, so I cannot find the name now.

Ah, thanks...

So i will my eyes open.

Is there a way to know that the nebula is not known?

Should this then somehow made public? Like for edsm?

Top Bottom