Planetary Nebula

Just a quick question and a note -- do so-called PNs get Codexed? And a little nerdsplaining, forgive me: If the nebula you find has a black hole or neutron star inside it, it is not a true Planetary Nebula but instead a Supernova Remnant (even cooler!). Both Neutron Stars and Black Holes only form from supernova events, and the layers of star stuff they blast off form much larger objects than planetary nebulae. Planetary nebulae get formed by normal and some giant stars near the end of their lives, when they puff off their extended outer layers in a rather gentle manner compared to a supernova. They also often form ring-shaped nebulae but of a smaller scale. The star that formed them eventually cools to a white dwarf.

The Ring Nebula in Lyra is a planetary Nebula of some note, while the Crab Nebula in Taurus is a supernova remnant, and its neutron star is also identified as a pulsar. Not sure how the game treats these (I have plans to find the Ring some day, it's a personal favorite of mine), but in the interest of possibly superfluous accuracy, there ya go.

Ring Nebula doesn't have a central object in ED (which is weird, because they could have just put a white dwarf in it). But you are right, there are no true PNs in the game (some folks count the nebulae around the O/B stars as PNs though). It's one of the many things that annoy me about Stellar Forge's supposed "realism" which isn't really that realistic after all.

Ring Nebula doesn't have a central object in ED (which is weird, because they could have just put a white dwarf in it). But you are right, there are no true PNs in the game (some folks count the nebulae around the O/B stars as PNs though). It's one of the many things that annoy me about Stellar Forge's supposed "realism" which isn't really that realistic after all.
The nebulae surrounding O/B stars -- like the Pleiades -- are almost exclusively reflection nebulae. They are very heavy in dust of varied composition, the gasses having been driven off by the intense solar winds of the very hot stars embedded in the nebulae. Most reflection nebulae form in well-populated star clusters, and the Pleiades grouping is a classic example.

Orion's Nebula is another type called a H++ region. This is mostly molecular hydrogen gas from which the almost (and actual) newborn stars inside have been formed, gas that is being ionized by the young stars and made to glow like a cosmic neon tube. They are among the most visually spectacular objects visible, because the various gases in the nebulae glow with different colors. They are also much larger than planetary nebulae, and relatively short-lived.

ED is fun to play and fun to look at (except for the darned lens flares!) but just can't compare with the real thing. Maybe someday.

Last edited:
Yeah, ED has an interesting mix of good and bad realism. I wish StellarForge had true PNs in the game, in addition to these remnants. We'd have so much more interesting variety to see! Technically it might not be hard for them to add at some point, since it can be a visual detail that keys off the WD's age and system mass.

But I'm also impressed by what they did take the time to include. For instance, when you find millisecond pulsars, they almost always have the appropriate nearby binary companion that they have been stealing mass from, in order to reach those rotational speeds. It makes me very happy that they included this detail.

I’m pleased to report that I have located and tagged one of the so called planetary nebula. As I had yet to add one of these to my collection of finds I left the bubble several weeks ago in hopes of finding one. From reading here at the forums my understanding was that they are rather difficult to find these day but decided to set to the grind and see what I could come up with. I found about 30 or so that had been tagged or listed in EDSM prior to coming across ROTHEE YU-Y E0 in Empyrean Straits. This is a black hole system bathed in a nice blue green glow and to my delight had yet to be discovered. Here are a few images I took before heading to the core to turn the data in.View attachment 142950

This was the approach from a nearby M Dwarf star.

View attachment 142951

View attachment 142952

View attachment 142953

View attachment 142954

There are many landable bodies here and I do plan to return for more images in the future. Just wanted to share with the community and also attest that indeed these are still out there to be had, although likely few and far between.

Awesome. That is a magical place. What a great find.
Imagine an intelligent society evolving there. They would have a very unique take on the universe I imagine.

It would be cool if this place could get some stations eventually.

This is funny. Not 30 minutes before I saw this post I was SCing through a system and just happened to start wondering if there were any planetary nebulae left to discover and my mind went off on this tangent imagining people long ago systematically looking for and discovering them all... and then I snapped out of it to find myself overshooting the planet I was going to scan. And THIS was maybe an hour after I had read a reply to a message I posted in another thread where the author mentioned the loop of shame and I started thinking "I haven't had to do one of those in a long time".

Thanks so much, all these systems are quite the sight. Along these lines I am happy to report another discovery of a planetary nebula. This one, llocated in Odin’s Hold, is a black hole system painted in a similar pale green light to the system I previously posted. It is CHRAISUE IC-U E3-1801.

055819DC-210D-4EAB-9F85-42A4B9B8DE0F.jpeg

A520B9F9-596D-4F70-B979-95B673DF5708.jpeg

C19FA8BB-6668-40DB-B1E6-053F15859EDD.jpeg

They are so fascinating and do make marvelous sights to see. I am still gathering some thoughts on the first and thinking of submitting to the mapping project. I plan to continue my search for a bit longer to continue to see what I am able to find. Just wanted to provide this update and really appreciate everyone’s thoughts thus far!

Planetary Nebulas are totaly awesome. They are one of my favorite things in this game. So atmospheric.
If you find one with another close system (say 1ly away) it can make for spectacular vistas.

If you guys are interested I have a rather large catalogue of them constituted while hunting and tagging them.

Beautifull screenshots :)

Top Bottom