I wish we had more cockpit-in-the-back ships

Really, recently I started to like my Corvette and Anaconda much. Simply because of their design with cockpit being placed in the back and almost entire ship is up ahead. I have 20 ships, small and big. Some are betterin certain things than others and picking, for example, Anaconda means I'm not optimally fitted for the role I'm currently performing. But I have observed that I truly enjoy those long nose ships and wish I could have more of those.

Should I be worried?

I guess you don't use VR?
I would love flying an Anaconda in VR, but then again I'm an old Navy salt who waxes nostalgic when it comes to space ships that remind me of Navy cruisers :D

My problem is that on my 2D screen, the conda just doesn't "feel" like a big Navy cruiser. Space legs would fix this, since walking around my bridge would give me parallax to appreciate the true size of the the ship seen from my window.

Anaconda is funny trying to land when you are used to a different ship. It hits the ground 15-20ft before you think its going to.

Really, those ships have more of a "bridge" than a "cockpit".

I would love to have a ship with a canopy on the undercarriage with a similar center-oriented positioning, would be an interesting experience to fly.

Really, those ships have more of a "bridge" than a "cockpit".

I would love to have a ship with a canopy on the undercarriage with a similar center-oriented positioning, would be an interesting experience to fly.

Front row seat to eating landing pad.

3csyyv.jpg

I'm now a fairly experienced pilot, and can slam a fully-laden shieldless Cutter down on its landing pad without turning a hair (or losing a credit). But every time I try to thread the nose of my Anaconda through the mailslot and into the station I do so in the firm conviction that I'm about to hang the blasted thing up on the toastrack.

Interesting replies. "I don't like so no". Personally, I hate the anaconda for this reason, and the corvette. BUT I do love big ships, I love my Type 10. Weird, huh? That doesn't mean I'm against more ships with cockpits in the back, I just wouldn't fly them. I'm all for more variety in ships. I like his reasoning: ex navy, gives that big navy ship feel. I'm all for it, for people that like that.

I could never get used to the 'Conda or a 'Vette, not even the Python or FdL, and I believe it's because of the cockpit placement. Being on top, and a ways back from the nose of the ship. I have an affinity towards ships with as forward a cockpit as possible. aChief, FAS, Krait ect.

That said, bring on more ships, with more differences. If there is a lack of reward cockpit ships, fill the hole. Just don;t make me buy them...

Doesn't make a difference to me. Front cockpit is like driving a tug or trawler. Rear cockpit is like driving pretty much any other boat. You just get use to it.

I'm accustomed to having 30+ feet in front of me. Just wish someone would build a ship with a "fly bridge".

I guess you don't use VR? I hate flying the Anaconda because of that huge nose blocking half the view; it makes landing a pain as well. On the other hand, Lakon ships are awesome!
I LOVE the conda (in short bursts) exactly because of her long nose in VR. it is a completly different flying experience to other ships.... probably a bit like what it feels like to be an oil tanker captain. :)

I love the T9/T10 with the cockpit up front, between the placement and their handling, reminds me of the old full-size van I had as a kid.

That said, I fly the Corvette a lot and my only issue is nose management to try to keep all the weapons trained on the same target. Outside that little item, I love flying it as well, both in and out of VR.

I'm now a fairly experienced pilot, and can slam a fully-laden shieldless Cutter down on its landing pad without turning a hair (or losing a credit). But every time I try to thread the nose of my Anaconda through the mailslot and into the station I do so in the firm conviction that I'm about to hang the blasted thing up on the toastrack.

The anaconda is so easy get out. You can just zoom out without looking but if you need to look there is a little notch on your hud and various marks on the side of the station when you go out, look for the three little lines on top of each other. Line your notch up so its exactly between the top and middle lines. If you are lined up correctly you can go out full speed, boost if you want but i wouldnt :)

The rear "bridge decks" on the big boats are great because it does help provide a sense of scale imho and I wouldn't mind at all to have more choices in this area. A Beluga setup this way would of been better; she's a rather large girl! With that said, after doing some PvE combat in the Vette, sometimes switching back to my Asp X or Phantom for a specialized mission of some kind is great too. The open "cockpit" always makes me think, "man, what a view." The respite from my big boat is fun. My point is, both are great, and for different reasons. Both add depth to the game. I think most people would have a hard time arguing options are rarely a bad thing to have.

Top Bottom