General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Because you shoot the messenger? ;)

On the spelling: Communication is transferral of information. From one brain to another. If the spelling or the grammar is distorting the message, then it's problematic. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, does it? It's the same with the fancy nomenclature. It's just noise stealing bandwith, leaving less for the signal.

It tells volumes that not only nobody took the effort to proof-read it, they did not even bother to run a spell-check...
The content is what it is, she is entitled to her opinion, it just doesn't have anything to do with science.

It tells volumes that not only nobody took the effort to proof-read it, they did not even bother to run a spell-check...
The content is what it is, she is entitled to her opinion, it just doesn't have anything to do with science.
No reason to repeat myself, but: She can be a Dharma teacher for all I care (she is :rolleyes:). She's basically just summing up the information she got from speaking to scientists, and then she quotes her friend Leonard Cohen. Look, I used to be the only bachelor in a house of masters. Now I went through the same education they did, and even though I've learned quite a lot, I've seen BSc's who had a lot better understanding of reality than some MSc's. I don't care what education people have, what articles they wrote, what their farthers name is, or how well connected they are. I care about what they write, and keeping a healthy amount of skepticism. A healthy amount of skepticism is not the same as shooting the messenger or ruling out their message because it scares you.

SUVs, very popular urban 4X4, were the second largest source of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2010 and 2018, warned Wednesday the director of the International Energy Agency.

In 2010, 18% of car sales in the world involved SUVs, in 2018 it was more than 40% !

As a result, over the past decade, SUVs have been the second largest source of CO2 emissions growth, after the energy sector, but before heavy industry (steel, cement, etc.). .), heavy goods vehicles or aviation.

More than 200 million SUVs circulate around the world today, compared to 35 million in 2010.

Often heavier and less aerodynamic, these vehicles consume a quarter more energy compared to a medium-sized car, says the report.

I will not like to see the extinction of the human race. But the disappearance of the earth’s surface of 200 million SUV owners, will not prevent me from sleeping.
I own 2 of them, along with a number of heavy work trucks, and I'm not planning on going anywhere but my normal rounds 😂

You sure are quick to wish the mass annihilation of those who don't agree with you, though. In your own way, you're a pretty scary guy.

Then go back and retool your quote to make some sense, because in the absence of sense and within the context of your perpetually derogatory and inane responses to me I can only assume that you are being negative:)

You are right on it being negative, you are wrong stating that implies any lifestyle different to mine is wrong.

Just something I realized in my lifetime. If you look at the history of Europe and the U.S. over the past 300 years, there were no significant (reported) weather events on both sides of the Atlantic for Great Britain, France, Germany or the Eastern or Western U.S. The fleets of British, French and American ships crossing the Atlantic rarely reported storms at sea and to a greater extent, the British and French could not have been involved in the American Revolution or the Civil War had there been massive category three, four and five hurricanes bouncing around the Atlantic at that time. The revolutionary war could not have been fought with massive weather systems flying up and down the Atlantic coast, battering places like Atlanta, Washington DC, North and South Carolina's, Georgia and the Mississippi River area, with massive river flooding. The Colonials and the British never reported storms or massive river flooding during this time hampering the battles that took place. Later, during the Civil War, Both the North and South were not delayed or hampered in their battles by radical weather conditions during the spring, summer and fall months of each year. The American Indians of the North and Western U.S. during the western migration of settlers do not report sever weather or massive forest fires hampering their resistance efforts and the settlers of the western U.S., with their telegraphs and news papers were certainly capable of making such reports. So, my conclusion here is that our current state of global weather is a new thing, caused solely by the rapid industrialization of the planet since the late 1890's to today. The burning of fossil fuels, use of combustion engines, improper disposal of waste globally has caused the weather to change in my lifetime and for future generations. As a child, I did not hear of or experience anything like what is happening with the weather today. For me, it's like night and day for what I saw weather wise between my childhood and now in my senior years. Even if we could get the entire planet to cooperate in stopping the burning of fossil fuels and the use of combustion engines today, I don't think we can avoid the rise of sea levels, global warming, the melting of the ice caps or a change in global weather catastrophies to come.

I leave you with this cartoon. Unfortunately, it speaks the truth to the destiny of our species given what we have done to the planet to date.

View attachment 147424

o7....
You're kidding right? The US east coast and the Carribean are littered with storm-caused ship wrecks dating back hundreds of years. We also have a rich recorded history of devastating hurricanes hitting from the Atlantic and the Gulf. Whatever doesn't fit the narrative doesn't exist right?

Well, I refuse this suggestion.

The quality of life and the air I breathe is fundamental.

This is my main concern.

It is necessary to be crazy or stupid to continue to defend the technology of combustion engines with fossil fuels.

Thousands of cars that pass through a city every day is simply a hell on the earth and a collective suicide.

But people sleep ...
Well shucks Pa, I guess I'll just hafta saddle up the mule. Field's all grazed up though, what shoulda do?

No reason to repeat myself, but: She can be a Dharma teacher for all I care (she is :rolleyes:). She's basically just summing up the information she got from speaking to scientists, and then she quotes her friend Leonard Cohen. Look, I used to be the only bachelor in a house of masters. Now I went through the same education they did, and even though I've learned quite a lot, I've seen BSc's who had a lot better understanding of reality than some MSc's. I don't care what education people have, what articles they wrote, what their farthers name is, or how well connected they are. I care about what they write, and keeping a healthy amount of skepticism. A healthy amount of skepticism is not the same as shooting the messenger or ruling out their message because it scares you.

So far I haven't seen any credible studies that predict not only our imminent extinction, but the majority of the biosphere too. The consensus2-4C warming by the end of the century, and while it could be bad, not even the pessimists say we're coming close to armageddon.

Hence, I take this this no-proof-read-spell-checked piece of a depressed, unhinged author on its face value, which is close to zero, it's not worth my time.

By the way, this piece is the opposite extreme of climate denial. Do you read publications from (by the way proper) scientists who deny climate change? Just a quick search on Google yielded this:
“It is perfectly possible to adopt a position, as I have, of 'a principled climate science scepticism.' It is based on the fact that every time an engineering-standard analysis is done of the climate data, one ends up contradicting the results of the climate change modellers. I am heavily involved in the debate in the UK.”
Michael Joseph Kelly
Credentials
  • Ph.D., solid state physics, Cambridge (1974).
  • M.Sc., Mathematics and Physics, University of Wellington, New Zealand.
  • M.A.
  • SC.D.
  • FR.Eng.
  • FRS.

Unquestionably an hypocrite here.

He sold his private jet to another person who will continue to pollute with.

It's exactly the same.

The destruction of his private jet could have been a real proof of his commitment to the environment.
Not so sure there.... if someone wants to buy a private jet they will buy a private jet, so destroying one which has already made a large amount of its impact by being made makes no sense to me. If he really wanted to he could quit his job and donate all of his money made using burning of fossil fuels to an environmental group.

In truth i do not expect him to do this, I just find it a bit cringing listening to someone like him talk about the environment.... i said something similar once before but it kind of feels a bit like if they had Gary Glitter talking about protecting at risk children.
That said, shoe on the other foot, hypocritical or not Celebrities do have the power influence people, some people, esp kids who lets face it are the ones who are going to have to live with any changes to our environment longer term may be more likely to listen to their F1 hero than their crusty school teacher

I am sure the fact he just bought a vegan burger chain has nothing to do with him saying we all need to eat more vegan :D

edit and for the record, I dont claim to wear a halo either btw...... Whilst I am a beliver in that we are changing the environment for the worse by the way we live, I do not claim to not be part of the problem....... Whilst it is sold now up until it was no longer practical I had a V6 3.5l petrol 2 seater....... Not a gas guzzler in the average American car scale, but far far less efficient than the average car on the road in the uk.

Truth be told on my lesser sensible days I keep eying up a Camaro as well, a car which has no right to exist in this day and age!. You can get them uk spec as well......
(it is highly unlikely i will, am far more likely to get a nissan leaf, but my point is, I dont judge)

Last edited:
I own 2 of them, along with a number of heavy work trucks, and I'm not planning on going anywhere but my normal rounds 😂

You sure are quick to wish the mass annihilation of those who don't agree with you, though. In your own way, you're a pretty scary guy.
I did not say that I wish. I said that it will not stop me from sleeping if it happens.

Often you speak to say nothing but in addition you have difficulty understanding.

You're a pretty scary guy because you model people according to your wishes to discredit them.

In addition you express no remorse, no regrets to pollute with your 2 SUVs and to poison your congeners

For you, I will sleep even more quietly. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom