Ray Tracing for Elite dangerous

Object density at Crystal Shard Biological Sites?
The object density of any biological or crystall sites would not actually be enough to tax a card with ray tracing capabilities.
Maybe once we had atmospheric landings with lush landscapes it would present an issue but we dont have them as of yet and by the time we do nvidia would likely have released second generation rtx cards and and would have released their own ray tracing cards as well.

A good idea of how many objects/surfaces can be present and still have stable framerates with raytracing is the game "control"

I don't think this is something that needs to be suggested to FDev.
Pros are obvious. But is this doable? How fundamental changes to engine would this require? Is this worth the effort from economical POV?
They know best if this is feasible option to consider and I don't think they need to be told to think about it.

Intel released its Embree suite of ray tracing kernels as Open Source some time ago - they form a hardware independent ray-tracing method.

Encore have just released the World of Tanks RT demo that runs under DX11 - I downloaded it the other night and it looks very pretty indeed.

With the release of the next generation consoles expected next year, with some form of hardware ray-tracing acceleration in the AMD RDNA GPU element of the APU, I would reasonably expect developers to have their (early) RT implementation ready to go sometime next year.

Would that be before or after the updated Ice Worlds? Or would they go hand-in-hand?

Asking for a feature that was supposed to be in Beyond friend.

I'm a proponent of ray tracing, but there's so much that Frontier could do to improve the visuals using standard graphic APIs. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 doesn't use ray tracing, but it's incredibly beautiful. In fact, I think much of ray tracings benefit would be lost on an open world big space game like ED. It would make the cockpit way more cool, I'll grant you that (I long to see my reflection in the glass as that bright sun lights me up). But stuff like stations from a distance probably won't benefit as much.

Now INSIDE a station would look pretty amazing properly ray traced, but it would kill any hardware in the next 3-5 years because there are dozens if not hundreds of light sources to take into account. Most games using ray tracing limit the amount of dominant light sources and the space those light sources cover (small rooms with a few lights, for example, or an outdoor scene with just the sun for illumination).

Elite would be beautiful ray traced.

Yes.

could we one day get support for ray tracing in elite dangerous?

Not unless you buy a lot of ARX.

Still not seeing a good reason here. Ray tracing works great already and again it would be optional.

Frontier still has to put in the effort to implement it, and the odds of RT support driving enough additional revenue to justify the cost of implementing it are quite slim.

Yes.

Not unless you buy a lot of ARX.

Frontier still has to put in the effort to implement it, and the odds of RT support driving enough additional revenue to justify the cost of implementing it are quite slim.
I dont see what revenue or arx has to do with development time especially since ray tracing will eventually replace ambient occlusion.
And why are we having this discussion again about frontier apperantly being too poor to develop anything? Their net worth is in the billions.

I don't think this is something that needs to be suggested to FDev.
Pros are obvious. But is this doable? How fundamental changes to engine would this require? Is this worth the effort from economical POV?
They know best if this is feasible option to consider and I don't think they need to be told to think about it.
You're right, i imagine frontier already has made considerations regarding it. Still i couldn't resist putting it out there

I dont see what revenue or arx has to do with development time especially since ray tracing will eventually replace ambient occlusion.
And why are we having this discussion again about frontier apperantly being too poor to develop anything? Their net worth is in the billions.

It's not about being poor, it's about being successful. Successful businesses aim for as high margins as practical.

ED is five years old and I cannot envision any rational cost/benefit analysis that would make implementing ray tracing worth while to FDev. It's not going to attract enough new players, or prompt enough ARX purchases, to justify the development cost and effort to implement.

Maybe down the line, if they decide a newly released Cobra engine title would see enough benefit from ray tracing will the engine support it, and mabye they could backport it as part of an update to ED, but even then I'd be skeptical.

It's not about being poor, it's about being successful. Successful businesses aim for as high margins as practical.

ED is five years old and I cannot envision any rational cost/benefit analysis that would make implementing ray tracing worth while to FDev. It's not going to attract enough new players, or prompt enough ARX purchases, to justify the development cost and effort to implement.

Maybe down the line, if they decide a newly released Cobra engine title would see enough benefit from ray tracing will the engine support it, and mabye they could backport it as part of an update to ED, but even then I'd be skeptical.
The purchase of arx or any monetization of the game really does not impact their willingness to impliment a graphics API that is universally avalible through DXR. The most i see them having to do is update information on light sources and material reflectiveness/opacity.

And the game's age does not impact this either because we litterally have minecraft ray traced now. A game that is held together by glue and staples inside the java engine.

Ray-tracing would come with multiple light sources by default, I expect. It's the complexity of getting shadows to work without actually doing the ray-tracing that's the difficult bit with multiple light sources.
Last I heard from someone here, multiple light sources couldn't be done due to cobra engine.

The purchase of arx or any monetization of the game really does not impact their willingness to impliment a graphics API that is universally avalible through DXR. The most i see them having to do is update information on light sources and material reflectiveness/opacity.

And the game's age does not impact this either because we litterally have minecraft ray traced now. A game that is held together by glue and staples inside the java engine.

Revenue vs. cost is almost everything, DXR is part of DX12, and ED is not Minecraft.

I think you're significantly underestimating the hurdels in implementing ray tracing in ED and significantly overestimating Frontier's incentive to bother.

Top Bottom