Ray Tracing for Elite dangerous

lets be real here.
Elite would be beautiful ray traced.
could we one day get support for ray tracing in elite dangerous?
especialy since ray tracing looks like its going to replace ambient occlusion

I believe the calcs get more difficult the bigger the distances involved. With the astronomical distances involved....
I imagine they'd only do ray tracing for fine details locally and far details in a diminished value. But i doubt the engine would actually end up calculating the ray that comes from your ship to a planet how ever many light seconds away. That kind of light is negligible.

Me and most other people with a life cannot afford a 1000$ or more computer
And you have the option to not pay the money to expirence ray tracing.
Also implying one has the money for a computer capable of ray tracing does not equate to one not having a life.
Also you've really haven't provided any legitimately good reason why elite shouldnt get ray tracing support as an optional feature aside from your personal argument that you wouldn't be able to use an optional feature.

And you have the option to not pay the money to expirence ray tracing.
Also implying one has the money for a computer capable of ray tracing does not equate to one not having a life.
Also you've really haven't provided any legitimately good reason why elite shouldnt get ray tracing support as an optional feature aside from your personal argument that you wouldn't be able to use an optional feature.
Lots of people wouldnt be able to use it, not for a few more years anyway, its wasted time right now. The game looks great already, dont fix what isnt broken and all that

1. Wasted time, FD has lots of stuff to do already, maybe after this 2020 thing, when they are less busy
2. Most people cant use it yet, why go through the trouble of making something only a few people can use ? Maybe in a few years when its more optimized, but for now ? No.
1. Fair point
2. Ray tracing is already more optimized and elite would actually be one of the easiest games to ray trace even on the 10 series because of the low object density. Elite doesnt even use the full processing power of the 10 series or 20 series cards even in 4k.
And its actually possible to get ray tracing at 4k, 60fps.
1080p ray traced in elite wouldn't be terribly demanding either especially with all the fixes nvidia has done to it.

1. Fair point
2. Ray tracing is already more optimized and elite would actually be one of the easiest games to ray trace even on the 10 series because of the low object density. Elite doesnt even use the full processing power of the 10 series or 20 series cards even in 4k.
1080p ray traced in elite wouldn't be terribly demanding either especially with all the fixes nvidia has done to it.
Let me rephrase: im not opposed to it at all, we just dont need it right now

Dont you need a super great pc to even think about doing this ? Until you dont, no thanks
True - but the same is still somewhat true of VR, and was much more true of VR 5 years ago when ED released.

I'd prefer multiple light sources first.
Ray-tracing would come with multiple light sources by default, I expect. It's the complexity of getting shadows to work without actually doing the ray-tracing that's the difficult bit with multiple light sources.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Intel released its Embree suite of ray tracing kernels as Open Source some time ago - they form a hardware independent ray-tracing method.

Wargaming have just released the World of Tanks RT demo that runs under DX11 - I downloaded it the other night and it looks very pretty indeed.

With the release of the next generation consoles expected next year, with some form of hardware ray-tracing acceleration in the AMD RDNA GPU element of the APU, I would reasonably expect developers to have their (early) RT implementation ready to go sometime next year.

Last edited:
Intel released its Embree suite of ray tracing kernels as Open Source some time ago - they form a hardware independent ray-tracing method.

Encore have just released the World of Tanks RT demo that runs under DX11 - I downloaded it the other night and it looks very pretty indeed.

With the release of the next generation consoles expected next year, with some form of hardware ray-tracing acceleration in the AMD RDNA GPU element of the APU, I would reasonably expect developers to have their (early) RT implementation ready to go sometime next year.
Depends if fdev want to spend money on supporting the Intel API - problem with being early to a market is the market can decide on a different winner. Plus they may well hold back and see what the next gen consoles are doing. I'm sure fdev have it on their radar - like crossplay, console VR etc etc that keep being re-raised.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Depends if fdev want to spend money on supporting the Intel API - problem with being early to a market is the market can decide on a different winner. Plus they may well hold back and see what the next gen consoles are doing. I'm sure fdev have it on their radar - like crossplay, console VR etc etc that keep being re-raised.
Given Frontier's major success with a self-published console title, I doubt that they'll adopt a "wait and see" approach to the next gen consoles - I expect that they've had dev kits for some time already.

Encore have just released the World of Tanks RT demo that runs under DX11 - I downloaded it the other night and it looks very pretty indeed.

My RTFM say's different.Mind,i like the upholstery on the seat cover tho.Maybe missing a few sheets.

1. Fair point

Object density at Crystal Shard Biological Sites?

Top Bottom