What other games are we all playing?

How far is the development if the Plane Mechanic sim, now?
I played it for a bit last winter and it was fun (I love CMS2018) but there wasn't much stuff.

I'm new to it so still on the Tiger Moth, so no idea how different it might be from last year but there's a Spitfire and Mosquito. It was only £9 so no biggy for something to mess around in.

I'm new to it so still on the Tiger Moth, so no idea how different it might be from last year but there's a Spitfire and Mosquito. It was only £9 so no biggy for something to mess around in.
Ah, good. When I was playing it there was only the Moth. Good, maybe I'll install it. Mosquito in particular sound really exciting. :)

I'm back to (stock + mechjeb) KSP 1.8 after my vacation.
Can't be ARXed to play Elite atm, no idea why.
I was looking on steam for something to play on friday and there it was, a new update one day ago.
I guess that was a sign...

I asked this some time ago, now it's on sale on Steam for $10 USD. Is it any good? The few videos I watched reminded me a little bit of Homeworld, which I enjoyed.

I still prefer Galactic Civilizations (both II and III) but Stellaris is a good game. Got nothing to do with Homeworld though. It's a 4X strategy game.

All elements are there, but in a grand strategy way, you are managing an entire civilization. Think of it as Europa Universalis in space.

Also, at that price, worth for the music alone!

I asked this some time ago, now it's on sale on Steam for $10 USD. Is it any good? The few videos I watched reminded me a little bit of Homeworld, which I enjoyed.
Well worth playing. ManyATrueNerd is doing an ultra-hard run on YouTube at the moment.

When I can't be bothered to play ED, I'm part-way through TombRaider: Origin and Surviving Mars was free the other day so I started playing that too.

I still prefer Galactic Civilizations (both II and III) but Stellaris is a good game. Got nothing to do with Homeworld though. It's a 4X strategy game.
How does it compare to X3? I don't own that game either, but it's on my wishlist since I've seen people rave about it. Is one better than the other, or is each it's own separate thing?

This is probably staring me in the face, but where do I see the size of a Steam download BEFORE I purchase a game?

It's rounded up for installation files, so it's usually a bit under the advertised size.

Just started playing Subnautica and I am loving it.
It's been probably about two years since I've played Subnautica and it was the the most awesome gaming experience of that year for me.
I've been planning to replay it at some point, but it wouldn't be the same the second time, but sometimes I just fire it up, walk around my base, or go for the swim.
It's an extraordinary game.

It's the RTS space version of Civ IV. It's a really good strategy world building/civilization game that you could get into playing for hours just like Civ.
You manage the pacifist/diplomatic/martial/colonial etc. expansion of your species into space which is subdivided into sectors. You can pick traits and decide what culture, socioeconomics your society will be for several generations. You can decide on the number of NPC civilization competitors/allies/opponents you might interact with based on a RNG distribution of the player and NPC civilizations.

There are some really good playthoughs on youtube. Here is a detailed overview by Aspec for beginners

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRawbTDlQo

Oh yes. It also has an AWESOME soundtrack. One of the best in the gaming industry to date. These links are playthough no commentary

With Humans
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zx5sWh-bt4

Alien species
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuS4elGzzAg

It's the RTS space version of Civ IV. It's a really good strategy world building/civilization game that you could get into playing for hours just like Civ.
You manage the pacifist/diplomatic/martial/colonial etc. expansion of your species into space which is subdivided into sectors. You can pick traits and decide what culture, socioeconomics your society will be for several generations. You can decide on the number of NPC civilization competitors/allies/opponents you might interact with based on a RNG distribution of the player and NPC civilizations.

There are some really good playthoughs on youtube. Here is a detailed overview by Aspec for beginners

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRawbTDlQo

Oh yes. It also has an AWESOME soundtrack. One of the best in the gaming industry to date. These links are playthough no commentary

With Humans
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zx5sWh-bt4

Alien species
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuS4elGzzAg
Placed on wish list. Broke this month. :(

How does it compare to X3? I don't own that game either, but it's on my wishlist since I've seen people rave about it. Is one better than the other, or is each it's own separate thing?

No no no, "it's a 4X strategy game", not "a X4 strategy game"! :LOL:

They're called "4X" in the sense of "eXpand, eXplore, eXploit, eXterminate" as in the basic rules of action you can use in such types of strategy games.

X4 is an entirely different thing, a first-person economic simulator and fleet/assets management title set in the namesake "X-Universe" sandbox. You personally fly your ships, from fighters to full carriers and capitals, or hire people to do it.
Also I forgot: space legs! Not particularly meaningful for anything, but walking down the ramp of your ship and seeing how fricking huge that thing is, always give a bit of satisfaction.

X3 Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude is probably still the most feature complete game of the series even without space legs, they're niche games and the learning curve is not a curve but a vertical line, but once you're in and it clicks, you'll never get out.

X3 Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude is probably still the most feature complete game of the series even without space legs, they're niche games and the learning curve is not a curve but a vertical line, but once you're in and it clicks, you'll never get out.
That's only $15 on Steam (it's an older game as I understand it), and that is regular non-sale price. I hear many think it's better than X4, though perhaps that's due to bugs in the newer title.

So IIRC, there is little overlap in Stellaris and X3, so buying one doesn't make the other redundant, yes? What about this Galaxy version of Stellaris - it sounds like it's just few cosmetic things and some music, worth the extra few $$ to get?

OH, and can I actually save my progress in Stellaris when playing offline? I usually don't have time to dedicate all day for a single play through.

There's no overlap at all between Stellaris and X3, totally unrelated game genres, the only aspect where they could overlap is the available time to play both. 😅
X3 should be easy to get even for less than 15 €, it's also available on GoG if one prefers that to Steam.

As for comparing with X4 it's hard to say and probably too articulate to avoid a wall of text, let's just say that X4 does some stuff that X3 doesn't (space legs, powerful station building editor, modular capital ships to name a few), but X3 could build on years upon years of iterations, refinements and patches, and also has campaigns and story missions (albeit at a very basic and rough execution) that are all but lacking in the latter title. Also, I may be a bit nostalgic and biased in this but I still find X3 atmosphere superior to X4, music on par with Stellaris on the awesomeness scale.

Top Bottom