Siblings/parent relationships

It's crazy to me that parents begin fighting with their children the second they reach adulthood. This should be revised for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that its unrealistic...

It's not uncommon (at all) to have same-sex siblings live in the same zoo habitat for years and years without any alterations. I'm sure this is in there to promote wild release, trading amongst players, etc. but it needs to be relaxed.

In several cases, including the oft-referenced wolves--it just feels ridiculous after a few generations of a given species.

I haven't even tried wolves. They seem to have the worst behaviors/social interactions of any species. Obviously something went wrong there. Hopefully as they address the socializing in general they will fix wolves.

I haven't even tried wolves. They seem to have the worst behaviors/social interactions of any species. Obviously something went wrong there. Hopefully as they address the socializing in general they will fix wolves.

I feel like people begging for all sorts of crazy/frequent social interactions are overthinking it and have never been to a zoo... I mean, the number of times I've visited a zoo only to find that 75% of the animals are sleeping because it's noon and the sun is out is pretty ridiculous. Haha. If you see 3-4 species that aren't otters, penguins, indoor birds, or monkeys being super active at the zoo? It's a fantastic day.

So the positive social interactions are one thing. But the negative ones are a much easier fix (that will, arguably) decrease the strain on the game's resources.

I just spent 3-4 hours focused on a zoo that started with warthogs, aardvarks, and hyenas. And in every single case, the second I saw that "____ is about to hit maturity button" I had to immediately ship the animal off to the Trade Center or release it into the wild lest fighting (non-stop fighting, mind you) begin.

It even happened with the aardvarks... Which just feels silly.

I feel like people begging for all sorts of crazy/frequent social interactions are overthinking it and have never been to a zoo... I mean, the number of times I've visited a zoo only to find that 75% of the animals are sleeping because it's noon and the sun is out is pretty ridiculous. Haha. If you see 3-4 species that aren't otters, penguins, indoor birds, or monkeys being super active at the zoo? It's a fantastic day.

So the positive social interactions are one thing. But the negative ones are a much easier fix (that will, arguably) decrease the strain on the game's resources.

I just spent 3-4 hours focused on a zoo that started with warthogs, aardvarks, and hyenas. And in every single case, the second I saw that "____ is about to hit maturity button" I had to immediately ship the animal off to the Trade Center or release it into the wild lest fighting (non-stop fighting, mind you) begin.

If you go to good zoos, the ones that provide proper habitats and social opportunities then you will see a lot of positive social interactions (unless the animal is a rescue in which case you see very odd behaviors!). I've spent a lot of time at zoos, both for my own pleasure and for school. The social interactions are not at all what Frontier promised. Nothing close. And they even assured us during the beta that those interactions were coming. So I will keep discussing that issue and hope they are able to fix it. I don't think it's cool to charge so much for a game and leave out a core component. I will happily shove plenty of money at Frontier when DLCs come out IF both positive and negative social interactions are fixed.

If you go to good zoos, the ones that provide proper habitats and social opportunities then you will see a lot of positive social interactions (unless the animal is a rescue in which case you see very odd behaviors!). I've spent a lot of time at zoos, both for my own pleasure and for school. The social interactions are not at all what Frontier promised. Nothing close. And they even assured us during the beta that those interactions were coming. So I will keep discussing that issue and hope they are able to fix it. I don't think it's cool to charge so much for a game and leave out a core component. I will happily shove plenty of money at Frontier when DLCs come out IF both positive and negative social interactions are fixed.

I'm pretty sure most of the zoos I've been to could be considered "good" to "great." Hah. My point is that it's not a guarantee, and unless you go early in the morning on a day where it's not too hot or humid? You might not see much activity from a lot of animals.

That being said, social interactions not happening as much as I would like them to doesn't detract from the game as much as the fighting does. The fighting forces me to hit pause and either create a new habitat or ship the li'l critters off to the trade center lest there be a fight. I don't think it needs to be taken out completely, but a buffer room of a few months, having it not occur constantly, etc. would be a big improvement. I get that they need a way to signal that exhibits are overcrowded or that there's a lack of gender balance in an exhibit, but it's a bit much... And frankly, it shouldn't "count" if there are siblings in an exhibit (unless the issue is space).

Just up the odds of a positive happening and decrease the odds of negatives happening in certain situations (when young mature into adults).

The more I think about it, the more I think Frontier overplayed their hand with the "social interactions" component. They never really explained what it was, and instead kept their statements vague. Looking at some of what people are looking for/wanting out of that component of the game, I honestly never even thought that stuff would make it into a game like this! It would be really nice to see little things happen more frequently (e.g., siblings staying closer to the adults, parents nuzzling the young) but I think people are expecting way too much out of a game that has to cater to three different audiences: Management sim buffs, creatives who want to just do what their imagination tells them, and people who want to watch/interact with the animals.

I'm not saying people are wrong for wanting this, I'm just saying that I think the developers had to find some sort of balance between everything.

I would generally like animals to have a more complex social system. I would like them to have sympathies and antipathies to other individuals. This would really add a management aspect to the design of their social group ( right now you just buy the right number of individuals per gender and they start producing young).
Being raised together would incline them to be more tolerant towards each other, for example making it possible to keep two male tigers together.

Yeah but don't forget that time you spent at the zoo is about 1 second of real time in the game.

I would generally like animals to have a more complex social system. I would like them to have sympathies and antipathies to other individuals. This would really add a management aspect to the design of their social group ( right now you just buy the right number of individuals per gender and they start producing young).
Being raised together would incline them to be more tolerant towards each other, for example making it possible to keep two male tigers together.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm getting at. Feels like it would be easy enough to adjust/balance too.

Top Bottom