Zoopedia LIES! (Group Size)

Can we just talk about the problems with the Zoopedia's information regarding animal group sizes, and the realities in the game? I don't know if the group sizes they list in the game are the actual "realistic" group sizes of the real animals, but they sure as hell aren't correct for your habitats in the game, at least not if you're trying to avoids animals trying to kill each other for dominance!

Let's look at Bongos as a prime example. Here is the information that is presented in the Wikipedia:

1575413728683.png

Based on what it says here, it gives the impression that we should be able to have multiple males and females in the same habitat without any fighting. And yet, the MOMENT a male bongo becomes an adult, it will IMMEDIATELY get into a fight with it's Dad.

In a different situation, I just set up a large habitat for African Wild Dogs, my first time having them in a zoo. After consulting the Zoopedia, which says you can have up to 9 males and 9 females in a group, I decided to spend my last remaining Conservation Credits to buy 1 male and 4 female AWDogs. I figured out how big the enclosure should be for that many Dogs (using the Planet Zoopedia website to do the calculations), set everything up, and happily put all my new Dogs in there.

...Only to have my females immediately try to kill each other!!

(As of writing this message, I only now noticed that it also mentions Dominance as 1 male and 1 female. I can at least anticipate problems by checking that. But going back to the Bongos, it says NONE for Dominance there. It does say 1 for male bachelor group size, but what does that even mean? Apparently it means that the Dominance listing is WRONG.)

I know there are several posts already discussing the fact that animals almost immediately try to fight as soon as they become adults, as well as fighting for dominance vs legitimately trying to hurt each other, etc. But I specifically want to focus on the incredibly confusing information presented in the Zoopedia. If we're setting up a habitat for the first time, we really need to have correct and easy to follow information in order to set things up so that things run smoothly. As it is right now, I no longer feel like I can trust the Zoopedia. At. All.

Same goes for wild dogs. Zoopedia says you can keep 3 males and an alpha female in the habitat. It doesn't work. 1 male and 1 female works better. You get nothing but alerts when you follow the Zoopedia in that.

Peafowl aswell I had a rather large group of peafowl and the zoopedia says you should be able to have 4-20 (up to 16 of each sex) and they were just fighting nonstop. I have maybe 4 adult males? tops at any given time and they were just ripping each other apart for no reason. Couldn't even fathom what it would be like having 16 of them so like apparently you can't have more than 1 male then?

All my male peafowl look like a bunch of stray dogs got into the pen and used them as a tug toys. Just covered and I mean covered in scars.

Last edited:
Peafowl aswell I had a rather large group of peafowl and the zoopedia says you should be able to have 4-20 (up to 16 of each sex) and they were just fighting nonstop. I have maybe 4 adult males? tops at any given time and they were just ripping each other apart for no reason. Couldn't even fathom what it would be like having 16 of them so like apparently you can't have more than 1 male then?

All my male peafowl look like a bunch of stray dogs got into the pen and used them as a tug toys. Just covered and I mean covered in scars.

My observations of peafowl group sizes are that there's a hidden ratio of male:female that are accepted in a group. I'm not sure what that is, but you can definitely have more than one male, as long as you have an appropriate amount of females to balance it out.

So if the ratio is 1:3 male:female, for example, you could have 1 male and 3 females, or 2 males and 6 females, or 3 males and 9 females, and so on. That needs to be stated more clearly in the zoopedia so there's no confusion.

Just in general, for all animals, you need to be careful to look at what it says about things like bachelor group size. Some of the numbers that say you can have multiple male animals actually only means if they're in a bachelor group (i.e. there are no females in the group at all), whereas if you went ahead and put multiple males in with females they would fight for dominance, because they're fighting for breeding rights (which they won't do if there are no females).

It's not well worded in the zoopedia, and they could do with making it clearer to avoid confusion.

So if the ratio is 1:3 male:female, for example, you could have 1 male and 3 females, or 2 males and 6 females, or 3 males and 9 females, and so on. That needs to be stated more clearly in the zoopedia so there's no confusion.

Just in general, for all animals, you need to be careful to look at what it says about things like bachelor group size. Some of the numbers that say you can have multiple male animals actually only means if they're in a bachelor group (i.e. there are no females in the group at all), whereas if you went ahead and put multiple males in with females they would fight for dominance, because they're fighting for breeding rights (which they won't do if there are no females).

It's not well worded in the zoopedia, and they could do with making it clearer to avoid confusion.

I think, this is the problem with the male peafowls. Their size for a bachelor group is set to 4, so it makes no sense to have more than 4 in a mixed group.
My peafowls only fight, if there are more than 4 adult males in the habitat. That's why I reduce them to 2 or 3.
And I don't think there is a ratio for the peafowl, because a female can have more than one male partner. I have 6 female and 2 male adults at the moment, one male has 5, the other has 4 partners listed.

My observations of peafowl group sizes are that there's a hidden ratio of male:female that are accepted in a group. I'm not sure what that is, but you can definitely have more than one male, as long as you have an appropriate amount of females to balance it out.

I understand that idea and do follow it but I really doubt that was the issue for my peafowls unless it is something silly like 1 male to 10 females ect. I had 3 permanent males and 15 permanent females. So 1:5. All males fighting... Sometimes I would end up with 4 males when a baby grew but they were sold quickly so it rarely made an impact.

In the end I just had to send all the males bar 1 to the trade centre and will have to make a new 'retirement' village for them.

If there is a ratio for a species it needs to be in the zoopedia just as alot of things need to be made clearer about habitat size ect but I don't think that was my issue unless the ratio is so female heavy that you can't double it without going above group size.

I really honestly don't mind if they have the occasional tussle. All animals do. Animals get scars alot but when they are fighting non stop and it looks like your zoo is hosting secret peacock fighting rings because they are all so scarred up? You gotta ask the devs why?
Same with wolves, they live in family packs with mom dad and their kids, rarely do wolf packs have in-fighting so why when you have more than a mated pair in this game do they fight constantly?

The zoopedia is just straight up wrong half the time, vague the rest and the devs call it 'educational' when it's also FULL of old bad science and misinformation. Even wikipedia manages to get the wolf family dynamic correct and denounces alpha theory. The zoopedia is just wrong in many cases and in my opinion including the case of peofowl numbers.

Personally I wouldn't use Lies in the title but misleading/incorrect. :D

A lot of animals don't have the correct info in the zoopedia or the animals doesn't behave correctly.. Really depends on the POV

I hope they will improve on this, but atm I just hope they focus on game-breaking bugs.
The animals are still useable, but I prefer the full use of these animals.

Some animals are pack animals or IRL their groups are (slightly) bigger.

Top Bottom