Newcomer / Intro Hit with a high fine for being stupid!

I was selecting transport work at a station, and accidentally selected a couple of illegal jobs.
Immediately hit with a fine by somebody in command, 21000 credits, and restricted in what I can do.
It was a novice's mistake! I didn't mean to pick them.
Didn't even launch! I tried to ditch them, which I did, but still no good.
I can't get a job 'til I pay the fine and I can't earn any money 'til I get a job.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I was selecting transport work at a station, and accidentally selected a couple of illegal jobs.
Immediately hit with a fine by somebody in command, 21000 credits, and restricted in what I can do.
It was a novice's mistake! I didn't mean to pick them.
Didn't even launch! I tried to ditch them, which I did, but still no good.
I can't get a job 'til I pay the fine and I can't earn any money 'til I get a job.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Go work somewhere else. The fine is only with that faction.

Right! But the fine stands? Am I stuck with it?

You can pay it off when you can afford it - do it at a Interstellar Factor - fines don't turn into bounties any more so you are OK.

You could always just "clear save" and start again (fines etc are wiped) over in the noob-zone where the first / welcome mission will give you 10,000 Cr pin money.

You can pay it off when you can afford it - do it at a Interstellar Factor - fines don't turn into bounties any more so you are OK.

You could always just "clear save" and start again (fines etc are wiped) over in the noob-zone where the first / welcome mission will give you 10,000 Cr pin money.
Can someone pay it off for me or maybe loan me some credits and I pay them back later. :ROFLMAO: Forget I suggested it. :ROFLMAO: Maybe I could do a job for you? Oh, this gets sillier. ;)

Last edited:
Can someone pay it off for me or maybe loan me some credits and I pay them back later. :ROFLMAO: Forget I suggested it. :ROFLMAO:

just fly away from that station/system/faction and you'll be ok, nobody will know you have a fine there. you can pay it off later. if you forget, you will be kindly reminded when rebuy time comes. since you should always have triple or so your rebuy at least anyway that's not much of a problem.

getting fined just from accepting the mission sounds odd, though. never seen that (but not a mission expert myself).

Interesting .......
You must have abandoned the mission. That gave you a fine equal to the value of the cargo. The cargo remained in your hold but now labelled 'stolen'. If you dumped the cargo while sitting on the docking pad you did the right thing because it then simply disappears wihout a trace and without giving you more fines (the station crew have their channels I suppose).

Last edited:
Can someone pay it off for me or maybe loan me some credits and I pay them back later. :ROFLMAO: Forget I suggested it. :ROFLMAO: Maybe I could do a job for you? Oh, this gets sillier. ;)

If you can hop over to Colonia, sure 😁

Seriously - find someone in your timezone (maybe through the Galactic Academy Discord, link at the top of the page) who is willing to do a wing mission with you, or just wing up. Most wing missions are easy to do (although the cargo missions are tedious) for an experienced solo pilot, and at the end, every CMDR signed up receives the same reward.
Similar for winged CMDRs, although here the share out from trade is IIRC a percentage, for bounties you need to get a shot at the kill IIRC.

---

Edit: or, if you're short on money, just scan a few planets (if that's possible at all in the newbie zone?) and sell the cartographic data.

I would humbly suggest that you don't get anyone to help you financially.

You have the tools, you can make the money with the ship you have. You can leave the fine until later, just move on to another system where you're welcome. Use this experience to learn the ropes. (For what it's worth, there's no penalty for having a fine forever, other than knowing it's there. It only affects the one faction, no one else cares. Lots of players just ignore them.)

There are a lot of "gotcha's" in this galaxy. Overcoming them is part of the fun!

After I'd been playing for a week, I had so many fines, that I figured I was completely bankrupt, so I did a clear save and started again.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend looking at the mission board until you've been paying long enough to figure out what they all mean. It's much safer to go bounty hunting and exploring to make your money initially, plus you make a lot more money. I made a complete walkthrough series for beginners, that includes many hints and tips that you won't find in the tutorials. If you read the comments, you can see that everyone says that they're very helpful. there are three parts. this is part 1:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7sY442b-s

21K... At the start of your Elite career, this seems an unsurmountable amount to pay but after a (very) short while, it's really nothing. As suggested, you can visit an interstellar faction to pay off the fine when you have the cash - a few short missions at a station with the IF facility will see you right on that count.

Good luck and fly safe CMDR!

@@@07

You must have abandoned the mission. That gave you a fine equal to the value of the cargo. The cargo remained in your hold but now labelled 'stolen'. If you dumped the cargo while sitting on the docking pad you did the right thing because it then simply disappears wihout a trace and without giving you more fines (the station crew have their channels I suppose).
Yes, I did abandon the mission. Thanks. It wouldn't let me "dump" it at the station (the one I bought it from). I launched and dumped it outside the station. Hopefully, it will also disappear from there. Besides its definitely not mine! No nothing about it! ;)

Yes, I did abandon the mission. Thanks. It wouldn't let me "dump" it at the station (the one I bought it from). I launched and dumped it outside the station. Hopefully, it will also disappear from there. Besides its definitely not mine! No nothing about it! ;)
Keep in mind that the Interstellar Factors will not only pay off any fines or bounties for you without sending you to gaol they will also cash in any bounties you have earned elsewhere.
Out of the goodness of their hearts they only add 25% to fines/bounties you are paying and deduct 25% from any they are cashing in for you.

When they open up non flying jobs in ED I want to be an IF mind you I will still keep a fast ship around for emergencies.

Inara is an awesome site.

I would humbly suggest that you don't get anyone to help you financially.
I'm amazed to hear that maybe you even can! It was all a bit of a joke really ......
You have the tools, you can make the money with the ship you have. You can leave the fine until later, just move on to another system where you're welcome. Use this experience to learn the ropes. (For what it's worth, there's no penalty for having a fine forever, other than knowing it's there. It only affects the one faction, no one else cares. Lots of players just ignore them.)
The only reason I'm here at this Dock is that it has some jobs I want to do. It doesn't matter why, but I'd still like to get similar jobs maybe elsewhere. Courier jobs. How do I search for "Courier" jobs elsewhere? Then I would happily leave.
There are a lot of "gotcha's" in this galaxy. Overcoming them is part of the fun!
Yes! Exactly! My stumbling around is a lot of fun for me (and others. Ha!)

Keep in mind that the Interstellar Factors will not only pay off any fines or bounties for you without sending you to gaol they will also cash in any bounties you have earned elsewhere.
Out of the goodness of their hearts they only add 25% to fines/bounties you are paying and deduct 25% from any they are cashing in for you.
Ha! Just love it! ..........
When they open up non flying jobs in ED I want to be an IF mind you I will still keep a fast ship around for emergencies.
IF?

Top Bottom