ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

Okay, that was a surprise :D Does the word list have "Braben" and/or "Breadbin" in it? If not, pls add

New ship name: "Vast Crack", two clicks later: "Crack Investigator"... is this trying to tell me something? 🤔

Last edited:
LOL :D

I've added those. Sometimes it comes up with hilarious results, and others are just stupid. I've been adding words to the lists all week. ;)

I'm honestly tempted to use "Braben's Asset", but the game would definitely censor that out.

Oh, and how about adding Powerplay leaders too?

I got "Queen Elizabeth's Reasoning". I was not ready for that. :ROFLMAO:

LOL. Yeah, I started adding a bunch of names after thinking about some historical ships, like Blackbeard's "Queen Anne's Revenge".

Oh, and how about adding Powerplay leaders too?

Good idea. I have a few generic things like Federal and Imperial, but the names would be good too.

EDIT: "Aromatic Defiance" ... LOL, I don't even want to know how that would work. :D

Last edited:
Oh man, this reminds me, a little while back I got on the bandwagon of feeding random things into neural nets. Here's a sample of what I get back when I feed part of the DW2 roster into GPT2:

Hearst Aries​
Bravus Ironhand
Black Isle Traveler
SPO Melchior
Team Mercury
Hululun Zepsilon
Zinoth Black Hammer
Legion Y​
MAC Obelisk​
Reaver​

I haven't toyed with neural nets to do this sort of thing, but as far back as the '90s I used to play around with Markov Chains to do random text, which can work surprisingly well for being such a simple rule set. The name generator on the website isn't anything that fancy, it just has lists of adjectives and nouns, and choses "adj noun" or "noun noun" pairings at random.

I haven't toyed with neural nets to do this sort of thing, but as far back as the '90s I used to play around with Markov Chains to do random text, which can work surprisingly well for being such a simple rule set. The name generator on the website isn't anything that fancy, it just has lists of adjectives and nouns, and choses "adj noun" or "noun noun" pairings at random.
I know, it's remarkable how far this sort of thing has come just in the time I've been around!

Just a suggestion, a few more patterns that might yield fun names:
"noun preposition noun"
"prep adj noun"

And of course "adverb verb-ing" can substitute anywhere an adjective is used, although outside of "adv verb-ing noun" those are probably going to be too long.

Added a spreadsheet for all water worlds. It's huge, with over 2 million entries, so this is the first one that's in a zip file on the website.

I know, it's remarkable how far this sort of thing has come just in the time I've been around!

Just a suggestion, a few more patterns that might yield fun names:
"noun preposition noun"
"prep adj noun"

And of course "adverb verb-ing" can substitute anywhere an adjective is used, although outside of "adv verb-ing noun" those are probably going to be too long.

Yeah, I may add some more patterns. One I'm also considering is "adv adj", which would work well enough in most cases, I think.

I think next year I may give the GalMap Santa some jumponium so that his journey can be compressed into a smaller number of days. 25 days with 4% progress each is probably a bit too long. I think EDSM's map only runs santa for about 10 or 12 days, so I may do something like that in the future.

A few favorite names from this morning on the name generator:

Existential Truth

Odoriferous Gentleman

Travelling Denial

Exploratory Chaos

Last edited:
I'm considering this to be a bit of a trial run, but I've added large dumps for planet types in the spreadsheets section. Some of them are quite huge, so they're all ZIP compressed, and I've left out parent / star information, since those drastically slow down the extraction and also significantly increase the file sizes. I've set the extraction process to run twice a month for these. They should cover all of the planet types that aren't already getting their own full extractions in other spreadsheets.

I added a spreadsheet for Herbig Ae/Be Stars. Apparently I had one, but it wasn't updating, nor was it listed on the website.

I've also added large dumps for stars as well, consolidated into major types (all white dwarfs are in one file, for instance). The brown dwarfs didn't process properly, so I'm redoing that one, and it will be updated tonight.

EDIT: Brown Dwarfs updated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom