Keybindings (maybe make them stick?)

Your path doesn't work for me.

you need to replace <you> with your windows user name in that path, sorry that wasn't explicit. have a look at the link faded glory provided, it has all the details. if anything, just ask, we'll get through it.

the advantage of renaming and backing up your personal setting is that you are in control now (because you have a backup), and avoid any conflict with what the game may assume as your 'custom' setup at any time, since the game can change this file at his own whim without notifying. whatever mess the game does to the bindings, you can always restore your bindings file and your StartPreset.start.

yeah, that will work too. ;) 🤣
Eff you too znôrt! ;) :)

Back on topic. I really appreciate you guys trying to help, but asking me to tell Windows to show hidden files (do I scream at the PC?), editing files in Notepad and what not just isn't a solution for me. I'm just here to play a game...

I expect a game with a complex and extensive keybindings setup to be able to save and keep said custom file (and supply a COMPLETE default preset for supported controllers).

I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm difficult that way.

It's honestly not that difficult if you do want to resolve the problem yourself. :) The only techie thing you may need to do is tell Windows to show hidden folders so you can get into your AppData folder...
Nothing is difficult when you know how. ;) (I tried yelling at the PC btw. Didn't work. Woke the wife though. Great way to start the weekend...)

Honestly, I'm just not interested in learning how to fix FDs game. I would like FD to do it...

You need to see a doctor about that speech impediment.

boomer slang 🤷‍♂️

no i totally understand your stance here. it was already apparent in the op, but i thought the tips could be useful anyway. for me tinkering is not a problem and i tend to like fully customized control setups which are quite a bit of work to set up which is why a backup strategy seems a worthwhile effort.

the name of my private custom binds file wouldn't pass the filters here, but says it all :D

boomer slang 🤷‍♂️

no i totally understand your stance here. it was already apparent in the op, but i thought the tips could be useful anyway. for me tinkering is not a problem and i tend to like fully customized control setups which are quite a bit of work to set up which is why a backup strategy seems a worthwhile effort.

the name of my private custom binds file wouldn't pass the filters here, but says it all :D
On another note, I just tried activating my xbox controller. Bingo! Lots of extensive controller options appear in the dropdown menu. Even with vertical thrust presets.

All this just confirms for me why I won't be trying to get back into Elite: Dangerous during the holidays.

For whatever reason FD has chosen to create a full suite of (working) controller options for the Microsoft/console control pad option, but insist on leaving a half donkeyed (non-working) controller option for another officially supported controller option.

I will not be going back to an xbox control pad for E: D, and I will not be fixing their game for them.

Damn. And I woke up in a good mood too. :/

Ok. So I found this path in another thread, which for whatever reason shows the way to content on my PC that I can't access via appdata/local:

%localappdata%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

which lead me to this hot mess:

1576328514199.png

What is all this, what do I do with it, can I create a folder in the shown position for a backup file, and more importantly:

WHY CAN'T E: D LOCATE ANY OF THESE APPARENT CUSTOM BINDING FILES?

For example, I can see that I created one in July this year (2.0 and 3.0 whatever that means), but E: D can't find either.

As has been said - rename your binds file - only custom ever gets overwritten.

Because it will only take note of the 3.0.binds file - the 1.8 and 2.0 versions (from previous releases of the game) are ignored because there is a 3.0 binds file. The game will not pay any attention to the type of file ".backup".

If you read the thread @Faded Glory linked to in post #19 above you will see how to rename your binds file.

Every time it makes a back up, it's because it couldn't detect one of your input devices. This should only be happening if you've got them attached differently than before, or have been messing around the software they are using, if any.

I have lost bindings on occasion, but it's always been my fault in some way, and is maybe an every other year sort of thing. I still use "custom" because it's almost never been an issue for me, and I keep backups.

I'm just here to play a game...

For better or worse, this hobby often requires some knowledge of the tools used. Windows' file operations are pretty basic, all things considered.

I expect a game with a complex and extensive keybindings setup to be able to save and keep said custom file (and supply a COMPLETE default preset for supported controllers).

I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm difficult that way.

Ideally, this would be the case, but it's been a mess for more than five years and I don't see it changing.

can I create a folder in the shown position for a backup file

Yes.

Before I go to the "whinging" part of the post, let me just remind you that most of the problems with detecting Thrustmaster HOTAS X are due to the fact that some dummy switched it from PC to Playstation mode (the switch at the front of the hotas). I'd suggest taping down that switch because it doesn't have enough resistance to avoid incidental toggles.

Now to address the "whinging" part:
Elite: Dangerous (...) always forgets my custom keybindings.
Custom keybindings are gone. As usual.
Custom bindings are gone

No they aren't gone, they are just under "Custom" in the dropdown. If the Custom preset doesn't show, it's because it contains bindings for a device which is not plugged in right now.

the game switches from custom to a factory template,
Exactly, to KB+M if I remember correctly.

. i suspect there are special paths for this near universal casual device
No, it's a controller device like any other, it has its ID and whatnot. And if it's not plugged and turned on when game starts, ED won't detect it was plugged after, as far as I know ED doesn't do detection after it's started.

I'm assuming that said file is gone
asking me to tell Windows to show hidden files (do I scream at the PC?), editing files in Notepad and what not just isn't a solution for me. I'm just here to play a game...
I'm difficult that way.

I'd take a look into that BindingLoadingError file - it's a simple text document. I think you might find it enlightening. Also, you assume wrong, and yes, you choose to make it a problem for you and when presented with actual solutions to the problem like one described below by znôrt, you back off to whinging. Yes you're difficult that way, and while I agree that wtfdev made it unnecesarily complex and user-unfriendly, blowing smoke on the guys trying to help you just proves you're difficult to work with.

rename custom.3.0.binds to something-sensible.3.0.binds (remember to edit the file and change the name inside too: Root PresetName="...")
make a backup of that file
now 'something-sensible' is selectable in game, forget about 'custom' forever
if you ever see 'custom' selected, something went wrong detecting some device. see logs.
This instruction is actually a surefire solution to your problem. So, just to reiterate:
1. Plug in ALL controllers that are described in this file. If you bound a key to something other than the Thrustmaster HOTAS, plug / turn on that thing as well. For example I had TFlight Hotas X and my driving wheel + pedals bound at some point. Maybe you had your gamepad bound also?
2. Rebind controls as you see fit. If you don't need the additional controllers (if there are any), rebind their controls to the HOTAS so you just need to plug this one in for controls to work.
3. After you're happy with the controls and everything works, quit the game.
4. Make a copy of custom3.0.binds as per Znôrt's solution.
5. Never have to worry about vanishing binds again.

PS: Do you try to scream at cars when they break down too?

...This should only be happening if you've got them attached differently than before...
So unless I use the exact same usb port every time, and remember to plug it in before starting the game, the existing binding files become corrupted somehow and just gather as useless files?

For better or worse, this hobby often requires some knowledge of the tools used. Windows' file operations are pretty basic, all things considered.
I have NEVER played another game that corrupts binding files and requires me to navigate and edit game files in order for the game to work as intended.

Ideally, this would be the case, but it's been a mess for more than five years and I don't see it changing.
I know, but I still think that this lack of quality control is outrageous. I would love to get back into this game, but as a casual player, having to create bindings from scratch every time I boot the game? I don't have the time or the inclination.

But is it a good idea? Should I delete all the other "corrupted" files? Is it only the latest 3.0 binds-file that I should backup, or is it the start-file as well?

And why can't E: D access the previous files in the first place? I mean they are right there.

I hate how FD makes this game so inaccessible for casual players. I have very little interest in coding/programming and I shouldn't have to, in order to play their game.

Last edited:
So unless I use the exact same usb port every time, and remember to plug it in before starting the game, the existing binding files become corrupted somehow and just gather as useless files?

I have NEVER played another game that corrupts binding files and requires me to navigate and alternate game files in order for the game to work as intended.

I know, but I still think that this lack of quality control is outrageous. I would love to get back into this game, but as a casual player, having to create bindings from scratch every time I boot the game? I don't have the time or the inclination.

But is it a good idea? Should I delete all the other "corrupted" files? Is it only the latest 3.0 binds-file that I should backup, or is it the start-file as well?

And why can't E: D access the previous files in the first place? I mean they are right there.

I hate how FD makes this game so inaccessible for casual players. I have very little interest in coding/programming and I shouldn't have to, in order to play their game.

Oh man this just keeps getting better and better 😂 😂 😂

1. It's irrelevant which USB port you use. Just plug in the device BEFORE starting the game, it has its own unique ID.
  2. Try playing DCS when you have separate throttle and joystick and forget to plug in one or another. And no, nothing's corrupted, unless you corrupt it.
  3. No you don't have to recreate anything, you're just doing it wrong 😂 Nothing gets "corrupted". You're just EDITING the controls again and again by changing controls after your controller is not detected, thus you're editing the CUSTOM BINDS file.
  4. Do as Znôrt said.
  5. It's irrelevant where you keep the backup as long as it is a separate directory. I'd suggest a place you won't forget in 5 minutes, like desktop or even google drive if you're familiar with it. Also questioning Morbad's answer about folder placement, hilarious :D
  6. I agree that wtfdev skimmed the user experience part on bindings, however there are far bigger problems in game that need urgent attention. But seriously, calling windows file operation "coding/programming"... Noice :cool:
  7. Have you checked the BindingLoadingErrors file? Found something interesting? :p
  8. Startpreset.start which you made a crude joke about, is actually a file that determines what is selected as default when the game starts. You need to enter there whatever name you placed inside the file (what you substituted the three dots in PresetName) as per znôrt's excellent advice. Do not confuse this with the file name which is actually irrelevant if I remember correctly. This will make your preset selected and you will never need to see the bindings option screen again in your life (well, mostly true ;-) )
Closing words: I created my own file with binds ages ago, and it persisted through many updates before. 1.8->2.0 and 2.0->3.0 with only slight adjustments in bindings to my liking.

Last edited:

Often, yes. Different port, different device as far as Windows is concerned.

The other files aren't corrupted, they just referred to controls that the game couldn't find, so the game renamed them rather than deleting them.

If it was simply a case of failing to plug in the controller or having it on the wrong port, you can delete the new Custom.binds and remove the extension on the file that was renamed to restore your binds.

I have very little interest in coding/programming and I shouldn't have to, in order to play their game.

This isn't coding/programming, but yes I'm sure it's annoying for casual Windows users.

Last edited:
I've never seen windows do that, and I have many pheripherials... All of them "just work" (and not in Todd Howard's from Bethesda way).

If the devices have the same hardware ID, the instance path (which is based on port) is probably used.

Many device control apps (TARGET, CMCC, etc) also emulate devices that don't exist unless the software is running.

If the devices have the same hardware ID, the instance path (which is based on port) is probably used.

Many device control apps (TARGET, CMCC, etc) also emulate devices that don't exist unless the software is running.
Okay but isn't that something like UUID? The IDs in binds sure look(ed) that way... Are the chances hardware shares that even high?
EDIT: ok nvm, I've checked and my current thrustmaster is written under "T16000M" and "T16000MTHROTTLE". I am pretty sure my logitech driving force GT was something like "4A6BF5AD" or something, though.

And while I were at this folder again, an example from the BindingLoadingErrors file:
There where errors when loading preset file: Custom.3.0.binds
Missing devices: T16000MTHROTTLE, T16000M

Last edited:
Top Bottom