❄ Planet Zoo: Arctic Pack coming 17 December ❄

Penguins don't live in the northern hemisphere. They live in the southern. Owls can be a bit tricky to implement, as they fly. Pinnipeds are also kinda tricky.

And what sorta ox are ya talking about?

Musk oxen. Even though not found in the north. Penguins should be added. Birds in general might be tricky, but zoos do have them. We should have them The snow owl would be great. :)

I know you will have multiple teams working on different things there (so of course DLC is on the way) and I know you have to communicate that what's in a patch isn't locked behind a paywall. But I think you made a mistake with the timing of this, so close to the incredible amount of frustration players have been putting up with. I think not acknowledging the mistakes Frontier has made with this game's launch also leaves a sour taste. Lastly I think patches and free updates are different things. What goes into a patch (for a game we paid for) is not content that takes us to the next part of the Planet Zoo experience and shouldn't be conveyed as such.

I always take issue with the statement that the DLC team is not the same as the team working on fixing the game; I know it's not just you, I've seen it posted time and time again. Surely that is a semi-truth at best, as the people doing the texture work for animals in the paid DLC, could just as easily be working on improving the base game.

The person that made that Arctic wolf skin? They could have been making more black, brown, white, etc, skins to vastly improve the timber wolf. Honestly, I didn't want another wolf species until they fixed the timber wolf; having one coat pattern for a wolf is almost criminal. Same thing can be said for the polar bear. Whoever was working on that texture could have been working on adding more variations for any of the current bears. They told us we would have skin variations for each animal, but in practice it's severly lacking.

While the people making new scenarios and scenery are probably exempt, at least some of the people working on paid DLC animals are not. Now for sure, I can't say if they've moved everyone that works on animal textures over to the DLC team. That said, we haven't seen any improvement in animal skins since launch, but we have certainly got a paid DLC - what's the verdict there? Will we ever get any improvements to the base animals coat variations? When will they get time to fix the current animal roster if they're always working on the next DLC?

I really hope I'm wrong, and they do have some people working on improving the current animal rosters coat/skin variations.

I always take issue with the statement that the DLC team is not the same as the team working on fixing the game; I know it's not just you, I've seen it posted time and time again. Surely that is a semi-truth at best, as the people doing the texture work for animals in the paid DLC, could just as easily be working on improving the base game.

The person that made that Arctic wolf skin? They could have been making more black, brown, white, etc, skins to vastly improve the timber wolf. Honestly, I didn't want another wolf species until they fixed the timber wolf; having one coat pattern for a wolf is almost criminal. Same thing can be said for the polar bear. Whoever was working on that texture could have been working on adding more variations for any of the current bears. They told us we would have skin variations for each animal, but in practice it's severly lacking.

While the people making new scenarios and scenery are probably exempt, at least some of the people working on paid DLC animals are not. Now for sure, I can't say if they've moved everyone that works on animal textures over to the DLC team. That said, we haven't seen any improvement in animal skins since launch, but we have certainly got a paid DLC - what's the verdict there? Will we ever get any improvements to the base animals coat variations? When will they get time to fix the current animal roster if they're always working on the next DLC?

I really hope I'm wrong, and they do have some people working on improving the current animal rosters coat/skin variations.

I don’t disagree and share your frustration. Especially with timber wolves. I spent most of my PZ playtime avoiding having them just because they all looked the same and until recently, just fought and caused stress on the player.

When will we be able to buy this? I was planning on preordering but it isn’t online yet. Do we have to wait till the day itself?

Keep in mind that what is being worked on, by whom and when is not the developers’ decision. They have to follow a roadmap that was decided on by management some time ago, e.g. Releasing a DLC pack in time for Christmas. (They would be stupid not to take advantage of the Christmas shopping season.) This decision was made and pratically writ in stone before anybody knew exactly what other kind of issues might arise to be dealt with concurrently. Only absolute show stoppers might be severe enough to upset the road map, and we don’t have those (rocks used as natural barriers being all of a sudden counted as rock requirement might have been close to a show stopper, and see how quickly they fixed that!)

These development decisions come from upper management and are mostly revenue-based. Frontier has invested a ton of money to pay all their people during the develoment of PZ without having a single penny of revenue generated by the game. That means, the development itself constitutes a major financial loss for the company. The first thing for the company now is to make up all that money through sales before they can even start thinking about making a profit. And the future profit of PL will enable development of more content for PZ as well as other new games.

'financial loss' or 'supporting by buying a DLC'? This company had 21+m pounds of profit for the first 6 months of the last financial year with an operating margin of 30%.

1576464704015.png

https://frontier-drupal.s3-eu-west-...ic/press-releases/financial/FY19_Interims.pdf

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: Kai
'financial loss' or 'supporting by buying a DLC'? This company had 21+m pounds of profit for the first 6 months of the last financial year with an operating margin of 30%.

View attachment 155612

https://frontier-drupal.s3-eu-west-...ic/press-releases/financial/FY19_Interims.pdf
Yup, that’s how they can afford to make new games that only cost money for their entire develoment time. But once a new game has been released, it has to earn its keep, so to speak.

And of course, Frontier is a profit-oriented business, just as pretty much every other business. And once a game stops being profitable, they will no longer develop new content for it.

I have no problem with this DLC but I would also like to see more expensive DLC Expansion Packs that offer more. Not scenarios though, I don't like career mode much. But big packs with lots of scenery items and more animals - hell yes! What I'd really like is more texture options for paths - especially queues and staff paths - to be able to match them better with everything else. There are 2 options for queues and they are both white and really don't match anything. And more paint on terraforming textures for larger-scale projects like mountains so the rock doesn't look so repeated. Oh, and bigger prim rocks we can build with on a larger scale with those too! I'm having a ball creating with this game right now :) crosses fingers that 1.1 doesn't introduce new bugs

I am TOTALLY with you on larger and more expensive DLCs. Most people say that they are outdated, but Ihink a combination of these mini-packs like the arctic DLC and really big ones with 15 animals and two building themes would be awesome as well. Especially to introduce more complex animals, like marine animals, birds (did I just say that? I don't like birds...), nocturnal animals.

Can't wait until tomorow, I hink the arctic dlc is perfect as a christmas surprise. But yes, please frontier, consider bigger packs as well, please.

EDIT: Also,if the devs ever decide to make a drinking game out of everytime someone say they want penguins in an arctic dlc, I'm sure we will get PINK penguins with the next free patch.

Last edited:
Although I don't care too much for this pack specifically, I will buy it to support further Planet Zoo development. I do very much hope that future packs will not only add assets but also actually new (animal) technology. I'm willing to pay almost full price for flying birds and swimming fish. That would open the way to add basically any animal, either by Frontier or the now already budding modding community. This tech would also be the sine qua non for animals such as penguins and walrus, since they'd need to actually be able to swim underwater (the same actually goes for polar bears, but meh). That's the only way Planet Zoo can become the true successor to Zoo Tycoon imho.

They could just have easily given us a polar DLC. Calling it arctic to skip the penguins is a just an easy way out (because penguins would have been a LOT of work). There's really not enough suitable animals for a stand-alone antarctic DLC, so they're going to have to merge them with something (I don't see us getting a penguins and seals DLC).

Maybe some sort of water update with some semi-aquatics like sea lions, walrus, otters, etc, or an actual polar DLC with the penguins and more arctic animals (arctic fox, musk ox).

Last edited:
They could just have easily given us a polar DLC. Calling it arctic just so they could skip penguins is a just an easy way out (because penguins would have been a LOT of work).

In all honesty. I find it problematic to throw the arctic and the antarctic together, just because both have snow and cold temperatures. The poles not only have a unique wild life, but also a unique culture. If I were an Inui and people would constantly ask if I live in the arctic or antarctic, just because "all cold regions are the same", I would be highly offended. Both poles face different history.

I mean, really, no one asks for kangaroos in the game for reasons like "it's a hot climate in africa as well." You can dislike the decision frontier made with not making a "minus temperature dlc", but it's not an easy way out nor in any form illogical. It was a decision and - based on the theme that indeed seems to have a historical context as well , in my opinion a good one.

I think this penguin thing has gotten a bit out of hand honestly. I get that people love them, I do too, and I get that people want to see them in the game, but just wait a bit. Penguins need a complete new diving animation and probably also swimming should look different, and frontier just launched the game one month ago. I’m not an expert in coding but I bet it takes time to code new actions and create new animals so let’s be real. Penguins could have not come in this dlc. This dlc have easy animals, all of them are going to use, most likely, the same exact animation that we already have in game. And I think it’s completely fine given the fact that this is the first dlc and usually first dlcs are not really big, super hyped and full of details, and that’s fine. We will get more, and we will get penguins but people are taking the penguin thing way too personally...

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
I appreciate you opening up the discussion for feedback however, Bo.
So, what I think is not appropriate here is the lack of humility demonstrated by Frontier (not their community managers). There is a strategy to releasing "Free" updates alongside paid for DLC. A number of publishers do it and generally it's fine. It must work. But the content you mentioned are mostly fixes for problems the community has been speaking consistently about since the beta and flooding the issue tracker with. And if they're not fixes then they're features that were mentioned by Frontier before release that didn't make it into the game at launch and it was these features that in some cases helped inform our decision to purchase the game.

The beta was an opportunity for us to dive into a slice of the experience and a developer over there at Frontier reassured us that the lack of animal to animal behaviours/interactions/animations was down to them not being ready for the beta but they would be ready for the full release. But we've not seen that happen. We simply got more of them because we now have access to the complete roster of animals. The variety players expected and features that had been mentioned (such as something akin to a family tree and varied/unique animal markings and colours) isn't in the game and this patch seems to be addressing some of those things...judging from the patch notes. But the language used indicates this is something being done out of Frontier's pocket, it's a "free update" and it's new "content". But we paid for the game and we didn't ask for anything that Frontier didn't already communicate was going to be in the game.

After the last patch introduced more issues for players (the second time that had happened), I didn't think the first bit of communication from Frontier would be an announcement for content people had to pay for. Nor that fixes/tweaks made based on our feedback was also going to be announced as something you're launching alongside something we can purchase if we wish to. I would have wanted all of that separated, I do think it would have been better if Frontier said something along the lines of: "We've been working so hard to get these fixes out and more are on the way, please lend us your patience. We're really sorry about how the release has gone."

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your feedback! I do understand your feelings and your decision - as long as you are enjoying the game for yourself, that's what matters most!

There's two things I would like to rectify, as they did in fact happen:
1. "It would have been better if we had said something.... etc."
The team have, since announcement, been incredibly active and open about the game's development as well as the state of the game. Since Beta and launch, we have been helping players in threads (whether support or suggestions or Issue Tracker) and we have stated over and over again that we are working on fixes, improvements, and more updates are coming. There's really nothing more we can do in that regard, as fixes and improvements take time and team power to implement, get tested, and roll out. It's not something simple that just happens overnight, and we have constantly been open about that and asked for your patience. If you scroll through many forum threads or social posts you will find plenty of examples of us doing so.
Also, while of course we sympathise that players have experienced issues (hence the continuous updates), there have also been many players who have not experienced anything - for them the game works and they are perhaps/probably not as vocal on here - after all, the forums, Steam, and social media are often use to contact developers when you're experiencing issues. However I don't want to detract from the team's incredible hard work and ignore that this part of the playerbase exists too. So we do what we can for the ones experiencing problems, whilst also making sure everyone else can continue to have fun. I hope this makes sense :)

2. We've always been careful not to over-promise any features. I think there's a difference between expectations here: because a lot of us are excited about Planet Zoo, expectations were high - it also means that sometimes when we tried to hone in the conversation and explain why certain things aren't in the game or aren't possible, it'll fall on deaf ears :) speculation is something that is great for everyone to partake in, but sometimes people read forums or threads and take the speculation for truth - creating false expectations of features or announcements that we cannot always rectify (simply because we can't be on all communication platforms at all times); this in turn could lead to disappointment, which would then be understandable, right? Of course! So we've always stated to only follow the official accounts, or the words of the Community Team, or other developer interviews. That way you will have the most accurate picture ahead of a game launch :)

Either way, I really appreciate your feedback and I do hope the free update will tackle some issues you've been experiencing! I can guarantee that the team have worked very hard to make those improvements, and I hope you can continue to enjoy your game and your animals. Please do continue talking to us and giving us feedback - it's very helpful.

Last edited:
I think this penguin thing has gotten a bit out of hand honestly. I get that people love them, I do too, and I get that people want to see them in the game, but just wait a bit. Penguins need a complete new diving animation and probably also swimming should look different, and frontier just launched the game one month ago. I’m not an expert in coding but I bet it takes time to code new actions and create new animals so let’s be real. Penguins could have not come in this dlc. This dlc have easy animals, all of them are going to use, most likely, the same exact animation that we already have in game. And I think it’s completely fine given the fact that this is the first dlc and usually first dlcs are not really big, super hyped and full of details, and that’s fine. We will get more, and we will get penguins but people are taking the penguin thing way too personally...

Funny!

I just made exactly the same arguments over there in the "Whishlist" forum. ;)

Top Bottom