❄ Planet Zoo: Arctic Pack coming 17 December ❄

Yes yes yes....no middle like you say, Imagin, I think I'm a bit at fault as well as I was expecting too much from this game before the launch. I would gladly tolerate all the current bugs if the Frontier made their engine and creation pipeline for procedural content ... animals with an actual AI with genetic algorithm. Growing trees, dynamic environment and that kind of jazz. An actual simulator... I'd be here defending them for little bugs here and there.... But it's not. This is a rule-base classic project with lots of code and content copied from another project... can't help to feel a bit cheated by those marketing tactics !

You are being factually wrong. Yes it is procedural and the animals do have AI, that is the whole point of the Cobra engine which you also acknowledge the game is based on. The animals and guests respond and navigate a terrain that is infinite in possiblities. You run the same battle royale each time there will be a different outcome. You build exactly the same zoo and the profit margin and numer of animals will be different. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there. I mean ultimately a programme is literally a script but you are being disengenuous I assume for effect.

You and everyone else knew it was going to be the Cobra engine with the same terrain, building constructor and guest facilities as Planet Coaster. The Engine has been improved for this game with transparant glass peices and dynamic environment features like weather and temperature, but what else do mean? Volacanoes? What Dynamic environment features did they advertise that you claim are missing and what is the point of growing trees?! People are complaining the game is running too fast as it is lol. That is a very strange blue-sky demand. The focus of this game was on the animals. What makes you think that building all the Guest <> Animal <> Animal <> Terrain functionality is something that could just be conjured up out of thin air and wouldnt take a lot development time and bug fixing? I'm sure a new terrain and construction builder will be built from scratch for Planet Coaster 2.

And then there is what has any of that got to do with a DLC.

Last edited:
Now please stop hating the Pack for a Animal that is "just a Reskin"

What exactly in that post makes it not just a reskin? The model, as far as I can tell, has not been altered in the slightest, in fact for the pups I'm sure it's exactly identical.

FYI, I personally never "hated the pack", I just resent the inclusion of the Arctic wolf subspecies because we already have the timber wolf representing the whole species. As has been discussed, technically speaking the Arctic wolf was already in the game - they just called it the timber wolf and used it to represent every subspecies of the grey wolf. I'd have less of a problem with it if they retooled the timber wolf into a specific subspecies like they've done with the two tiger subspecies and the two brown bear subspecies.

What exactly in that post makes it not just a reskin? The model, as far as I can tell, has not been altered in the slightest, in fact for the pups I'm sure it's exactly identical.

FYI, I personally never "hated the pack", I just resent the inclusion of the Arctic wolf subspecies because we already have the timber wolf representing the whole species. As has been discussed, technically speaking the Arctic wolf was already in the game - they just called it the timber wolf and used it to represent every subspecies of the grey wolf. I'd have less of a problem with it if they retooled the timber wolf into a specific subspecies like they've done with the two tiger subspecies and the two brown bear subspecies.
Compare it with the Wolf that is already in the Game. At least the adult Wolf looks different

Compare it with the Wolf that is already in the Game. At least the adult Wolf looks different

They've added some extra padding to the fur texture, but as far as I can see nothing else has changed. That still only counts as a reskin, IMO. Again, though, I don't really have a problem with that - the Bengal and Siberian tigers are effectively the same except for a slight size difference, as are the grizzly and Himalayan brown bears. I take issue with the classification.

Hayo Zookeepers!

Brrrrr......

Are you ready for an ice-cold adventure in a wintery wonderland? Perhaps you're willing to face a red-hot challenge, in a setting that will prove the most difficult yet... Are you ready to answer Bernie Goodwin's call?

After an incredible year with our Planet Zoo community, we are thrilled to reveal the Planet Zoo: Arctic Pack, coming alongside free Update 1.1.0 on 17 December 2019!

With two new Scenarios, there will be exciting things for you to overcome as a zoo manager. You'll need to brave harsh landscapes: the mountainous Norway set in the Tundra biome, and the arid Mexico, based in the Desert biome. These two zoos come with their own stories and challenges, which you'll need to deal with to ensure animal welfare and park success.

This Pack also features four brand new Arctic animals: the Polar Bear, Reindeer, Arctic Wolf, and Dall Sheep – all four species come with new challenges and specific needs, so be sure to check the Zoopedia for tips on how to keep them happy and healthy.

Cover your park in a blanket of snow, design an ice sculpture, or build your very own Scandinavian village – there are over 200 new building, scenery, and foliage pieces to choose from and get creative with!

The Arctic Pack will be available to purchase on Steam and Frontier Store for £7.99 ($9.99, €9.99). Please note that you'll need to have the Planet Zoo base game in order to download and play this extra content. Update 1.1.0 will be free for all players.

Thanks to our wonderful community for all of your support since our launch! Keep your eyes on our forums and social channels for all the news and announcements about Planet Zoo, and make sure to tune into our livestreams!

I'm surprised there isn't more arctic animals. What about penguins? Snow Owl? Arctic/Mountain Hare? Arctic Fox? Walrus? Seals? Muskox? Ox? Arctic Ground Squirrel? Canada Lynx? I like that there is more coming but was hoping for more content/animals.

I'm surprised there isn't more arctic animals. What about penguins? Snow Owl? Arctic/Mountain Hare? Arctic Fox? Walrus? Seals? Muskox? Ox? Arctic Ground Squirrel? Canada Lynx? I like that there is more coming but was hoping for more content/animals.
Penguins don't live in the northern hemisphere. They live in the southern. Owls can be a bit tricky to implement, as they fly. Pinnipeds are also kinda tricky.

And what sorta ox are ya talking about?

Only four animals? And two of them are just copy and paste, what about artic fox, muskox, artic hare, walrus, canada lynx, puffin, snowy owls, there is a lot of artic animals, yet Frontier expect us to pay $10 for only two new animals and 2 copy and paste, when the base game is still undone and missing a lot of animations and animal individuality, it is so boring that they all look exactly the same thing, no horn/tusk or color variations
People will say well the pack has over 200 building pieces, this is a zoo game so building blocks mean nothing to me, I bought the game for the animals, and they fall very short from whats been promised since E3, the free update is still not enough to beliver what was promised

I'm really happy for this expansion and I'm sure there will be many more beautiful ones.
The only problem may be the few animals present. Surely the marine animals and the arctic birds could be present in future expansions, but if now the developers are focusing on mammals and their subspecies these animals are certainly lacking: artic fox, lemming, wolverine, moose, musk ox, marmot, weasel, lynx.
To be perfect, there could be these animals.

Sweet Rainbow, what do you expect? Polar Bears and the other bears are, well...bears. They're in the same family for darn's sake. Off course they'll look similar. Same thing goes to the Arctic Wolf, although I agree that having another wolf is a silly idea. Perhaps to test the updated pack mechanics? Some, like you, suggest arctic foxes, but the thing is, foxes are solitary creatures, not pack animals. Owls and other flying creatures are kinda hard to implement. Don't ask me how, I haven't the foggiest idea.

I think it's a good start.

I think frontier need to have subspecies pack example for tiger species , lemurs species , bear and etc ,..

striped hyenas
brown hyenas
and etc

Awesome, I will totally buy it (y) Also to support Frontier so they will have the funds to work on my favourite animal, which is probaly the hardest to implent, if they plan to do so.
I didnt think it would be free, their hint literally said "... in store...";) But as I said before - I will totally buy it. New animals are always great. Even though I am honestly a bit disappointed about the Arctic wolf. Sure, they look pretty, but other than colour and a bit more fur they are still pretty much the same as the wolf already in game. I wonder if there is some other thing about them that will make them different?
Arctic foxes would have be a better choice in my opinion, but now it is the way it is. And I am still happy about the new animals:)

I dont know how I will be able to survive the 17th... Frist I have to work and then I have a doctor appointment, so not much time for playing:cry:
At least my internet connection is good so that the update shouldnt be too long^^

I'm perfectly fine with 10€ for 4 animals (since I LOVE the new included theme) but it just makes me worry we'll not see other arctic animals like various seals, the walrus, puffin, arctic fox, musk ox etc. and I highly doubt there will be a part 2...
I'm 100% they can't say anything even if there will be more but that's my main concern and I'd also like to add I'd 100% buy a full-on expansion pack and I think many people would too, no need to limit yourself to these smaller packs. I didn't mention the snow owl because if we get birds like owls and eagles etc. I really hope we get some closed cages, like you'd build a steel mesh fence and after you complete it you could select the habitat and select "cover" or something and it would just create a barrier on top aswell - that would be SO cool and a little big to just put in a pack. Same with marine animals. Frontier, please consider expansion packs :D

Last edited:
I have no problem with this DLC but I would also like to see more expensive DLC Expansion Packs that offer more. Not scenarios though, I don't like career mode much. But big packs with lots of scenery items and more animals - hell yes! What I'd really like is more texture options for paths - especially queues and staff paths - to be able to match them better with everything else. There are 2 options for queues and they are both white and really don't match anything. And more paint on terraforming textures for larger-scale projects like mountains so the rock doesn't look so repeated. Oh, and bigger prim rocks we can build with on a larger scale with those too! I'm having a ball creating with this game right now :) crosses fingers that 1.1 doesn't introduce new bugs

How does it read as patch notes? It gives a top level overview of all the new content that's coming in 1.1, and it states that the full update notes will be available on the 17th. What would improve the information flow in your opinion :)?

Coming back after being distracted/devastated by the general election.

I guess, as the player - outside of the company which creates things for the game, I have a different definition of what "content" means and how decisions Frontier make can communicate something to us all that might not be what you intended nor appropriate given how the launch of Planet Zoo went.

I appreciate you opening up the discussion for feedback however, Bo.
So, what I think is not appropriate here is the lack of humility demonstrated by Frontier (not their community managers). There is a strategy to releasing "Free" updates alongside paid for DLC. A number of publishers do it and generally it's fine. It must work. But the content you mentioned are mostly fixes for problems the community has been speaking consistently about since the beta and flooding the issue tracker with. And if they're not fixes then they're features that were mentioned by Frontier before release that didn't make it into the game at launch and it was these features that in some cases helped inform our decision to purchase the game.

The beta was an opportunity for us to dive into a slice of the experience and a developer over there at Frontier reassured us that the lack of animal to animal behaviours/interactions/animations was down to them not being ready for the beta but they would be ready for the full release. But we've not seen that happen. We simply got more of them because we now have access to the complete roster of animals. The variety players expected and features that had been mentioned (such as something akin to a family tree and varied/unique animal markings and colours) isn't in the game and this patch seems to be addressing some of those things...judging from the patch notes. But the language used indicates this is something being done out of Frontier's pocket, it's a "free update" and it's new "content". But we paid for the game and we didn't ask for anything that Frontier didn't already communicate was going to be in the game.

After the last patch introduced more issues for players (the second time that had happened), I didn't think the first bit of communication from Frontier would be an announcement for content people had to pay for. Nor that fixes/tweaks made based on our feedback was also going to be announced as something you're launching alongside something we can purchase if we wish to. I would have wanted all of that separated, I do think it would have been better if Frontier said something along the lines of: "We've been working so hard to get these fixes out and more are on the way, please lend us your patience. We're really sorry about how the release has gone."

I know you will have multiple teams working on different things there (so of course DLC is on the way) and I know you have to communicate that what's in a patch isn't locked behind a paywall. But I think you made a mistake with the timing of this, so close to the incredible amount of frustration players have been putting up with. I think not acknowledging the mistakes Frontier has made with this game's launch also leaves a sour taste. Lastly I think patches and free updates are different things. What goes into a patch (for a game we paid for) is not content that takes us to the next part of the Planet Zoo experience and shouldn't be conveyed as such.

So there's the breakdown of how these announcements created a negative response in my case and I won't be buying the DLC (which was a given as I haven't played PZ once without a bug or issue anyway).

Last edited:
Top Bottom