Distortion around asteroids in VR

Has anyone noticed distortion in the gas around asteroids in VR? It was particularly noticeable to me at the RES in Reorte this week. It doesn’t affect the asteroids themselves or the cockpit, and it goes away with distance. I’m using a Samsung Odyssey with 1080Ti card. Can’t say I’ve had this problem in the past. It’s visible in this video at around the 4:20 mark:

yes I have seen that, its when you have turned the setting down too much.
I leave super sampling at 1 and HMD 1 in game and use steam VR to up scale.

I found by changing the smaller screen super sampling (not the HMD quality) below 0.75 I got the same.

People say the normal supersample setting does no affect the HMD quality and that HMD quality setting is the only thing which affects your experience. i have found the normal supersampling in game does make a difference as well on somethings

Yes, I seen the same thing with the asteroids in a Resource site.. I don't think it is a setting as I changed no settings and when they did the update they where broke..

Has anyone noticed distortion in the gas around asteroids in VR? It was particularly noticeable to me at the RES in Reorte this week. It doesn’t affect the asteroids themselves or the cockpit, and it goes away with distance. I’m using a Samsung Odyssey with 1080Ti card. Can’t say I’ve had this problem in the past. It’s visible in this video at around the 4:20 mark:

I noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago, but recall seeing it mentioned on forums a while back. My HMD settings are pretty standard. Perhaps the furry asteroids are FD's tribute to the new Cats movie :)

I’ve no idea what the cause is but it comes and goes with no change to my settings. I was in Reorte on the last day of the security CG and had the exact same issue (same HMD but on a 1070.) It was the first time I’d seen it for a long time, the previous time I’d been mining in Solo so I don’t think it’s related to Open/player numbers issues.

Its ugly but at least in Open combat I had more important things to concentrate on, whilst mining it was too much and I gave up.

Having volumetric effects set on ultra really lowers your frame rate in stations and other areas of the game. So while this is a "work around" it is not a fix for the issue at all.

This doesn't have to do with SS, it's the volumetric setting. I think the clouds in ring systems might be the only thing volumetrics are doing in the game, so that's why you only see the detail loss of a low setting in rings.

Just to add my voice to this. I noticed this last night when trying to fight in an asteroid ring. The lag was really bad in my Vive Pro. Will try to up the volumetric to see if this helps. But nothing changed my end other than an update from FDev and now its really difficult to do mining or bounty hunting in the ring belts.

[Edit]- I got it all sorted out. I put the volumetric scale to medium and then found that the game had supersampling set to 1.5. Which is odd because I use Steams own supersampling for this. Set it to 1 and made sure HMD quality was also 1. Now it runs smoothly, even managed to turn up textures and materials to ultra without any performance hit that I can see at the moment; even in stations.

Last edited:
Upping Volumetrics will certainly not help you if you suffered from low performance in RES, it will have the opposite effect and make your performance worse.

I didn’t realize performance issues were part of this.
yeah, obviously turning detail setting higher is going to make performance worse, though how much depends on the setting. I don’t really know if the volumetric quality is a big impact on frame rate.
bit I’m pretty certain that‘a what we are seeing there. I saw those jagged things in the ring fog and turning up volumetric solved it.
if your computer is on the edge of being able to handle being in the ring at all, you might need to leave this set low, or consider turning HMD down So it’s undersampling.
the super sampling (HMD setting) has the biggest performance impact of all so turning this down slightly is a great way to make room for more high detail settings if their effects bother you.

The issue is not in Elite.

The root cause is the Steam VR. I reverted to 1.7.15 and issue gone. Its connected with antialiasing and volumentric lighthing, the supersampling and level of volumentric lighthing are just reducing the effect, but it is still present... unless you revert to 1.7.15.

Its not affecting the asteroids only. Its affecting whole game, but on asteroids is clearly visible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/ej32ug Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/ej32ug/bluriness_in_steam_vr_above_1715_catched_and/

Last edited:
Considering that SteamVR 1.7.15 only came out in September 2019 and the asteroid issue has been around since at least April 2019 I find that hard to believe. Then of course there are the Oculus users who have the same problem and don't use SteamVR at all....

Last edited:
That is not a matter of faith. I am not telling something 'is' and someone need to belive to word.
People are reporting this not only in Elite, btw.

Anyone can simply revert to 1.7.15 and see.

How to revert:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/1741101364288717349/?ctp=2#c1741134405308315901

Step by step:
Roll_Back_SteamVR.jpg

Finally i suggest just to back-up the SteamVR folder. It will update each time new version will appear.

I am not using Oculus and i think Valve probably fixed it in 1.7.15 then crack again in later.

Last edited:
But the issue was present on earlier versions of SteamVR and is present for users who use Oculus software... sorry but you are barking up the wrong tree.

You missed the part where anyone can confirm what i wrote?

Why its also broken on Oculus? Ask Oculus, not me. I found where is it broken in headsets which are using steam VR.

Last edited:
You missed the part where anyone can confirm what i wrote?

Why its also broken on Oculus? Ask Oculus, not me. I found where is it broken in headsets which are using steam VR.

No I didn't. The issues is with Elite, it happened after an Elite update not a SteamVR update and the issue effects all HMD types not just those using SteamVR.

Top Bottom