Notice GalNet changes

I'm later to this particular party. Been playing the game regularly but missed this announcement.

I liked the Galnet articles. I don't remember seeing many - if any - comments by people saying they were confused as to which were interactive and which were just 'fluff'. I'd liked to hope FDev credited the player base with a little more intelligence than that. If player confusion was genuinely are problem, which not add a 'flair' to the posts which were Community Goal related or otherwise interactive? Either that, or bring back some of the historical articles - e.g. the development of hyperdrive / FSD. For FDev to bring us GalNet audio then shelve the content is not good.

It feels more like "we can't spare the staff to do this anymore so we're scrapping it and blaming the players."

or fdev could have a subscription service for 1 dollar a month @ 6000 subscribers or less if there ends up being more to hire a full time writer at like 80k usd yearly salary to create galnet articles for as long as people care to subscribe.

It's infuriating to keep hearing about compromises in the game because of funding when the way it's funded is entirely a voluntary choice by fdev. If a game that requires constant maintenance and content contributions because there are no player contribution avenues ..and single time payments years ago can't sustain it ...then stop using that revenue model. Or at least, stop only using it. Plenty of people would pay a subscription to bring back the caliber (or better) of content that was around in year 1 and 2 and even 3

or fdev could have a subscription service for 1 dollar a month @ 6000 subscribers or less if there ends up being more to hire a full time writer at like 80k usd yearly salary to create galnet articles for as long as people care to subscribe.

It's infuriating to keep hearing about compromises in the game because of funding when the way it's funded is entirely a voluntary choice by fdev. If a game that requires constant maintenance and content contributions because there are no player contribution avenues ..and single time payments years ago can't sustain it ...then stop using that revenue model. Or at least, stop only using it. Plenty of people would pay a subscription to bring back the caliber (or better) of content that was around in year 1 and 2 and even 3
Obligation to backers ends soon.

there's no obligation to backers that prohibits them from supplementing the game with an optional subscription that doesn't restrict access to the content that stems from that subscription.

Basically a voluntary subscription service with no exclusive or pre-release or subsidized access to anything.

The primary difference between this and some kind of donation system would be that subscribing guarantees a dedicated writer at the very least, so long as subscriptions stay in a preset range on avg every month. A game with players around the world should have no trouble rounding up 6000 or more players willing to pay 12 dollars a year for continual creative content and those that dont pay still get all of the benefits

Hmm so if i understand this right, i will get less storys on the general story in ED but more news whats happening, like CGs and other stuff ppl do.

Actually i was already wondering when Frontier gives up the story telling effort and just post some playernews or something that is on forums 1st.

This basicly means ED has not background story anymore and there is no real reason to listen to Galnet news anymore.
Everything i need to know i get with the newsletter or Forums, Galnet will just give me some info on it in game sooner or later.

This is very sad. Well its no big deal i dont care about the game much anymore. The only stuff i can do is earn money or collect materials to engineer ships i dont even use.
If i want to earn money i do mining, CGs are not really worth the time moneywise anymore. I only do them when there is a benefit like reduced prices on ships or getting stations or megaships out. But i dont invest much time into them.
Really how boring are CGs ? Its the same stuff since years.
There was so much feedback given how to make the game more interesting with better quests and playerinteracting but nope its still the same old stuff.
Just making money or materials. If done everything already, so if there was anything interesting still, it was thouse storys from the frontier, that had nothing to do with gameplay but with the life and politics in the galaxy.

Frontier, you dont need to bring news about player activitys or pay me Arx for playing this game.
You need to add interesting and fun gameplay, fun multiplayer gameplay. Even the delayed carriers will give nothing new or interesting, ppl buy em and thats it.

I wait for years to have a good reason to party up with someone and do fun things, but bugs or less earnings make multiplayer useless.
I wait for years for new fun stuff, but most of the time its only the same thing made different.

I gave up hope on ever get my lifetime pass investment back to make it worthwhile. To me it was just money thrown out of the window. From promised payed content every year and closed betas, to free updates and no betas or open betas. Yay.

If i did not love the look and feel of the game so much i would not even bother with it anymore.

Hello Commanders,

Our galaxy is filled with a plethora of stories, places, and people, which are all part off the rich canon of Elite Dangerous, explored through many of our GalNet articles.

While GalNet provides an understanding of life in the 3300s, it hasn't always had a direct impact on your gameplay. We have been reviewing the effect this has had on your in-game experience, along with your feedback, and as a result, we’re going to be reducing the number of GalNet stories that we produce and instead focus on covering in-game content.

In the foreseeable future, GalNet articles will concentrate on in-game activity, such as Interstellar Initiatives, the release of new ships and modules, and significant narrative developments. With this change, we will be stopping the 'off-camera' narratives that we have previously published via GalNet.

We hope you have enjoyed the many stories that we have told, and as always please share your thoughts and feedback with us.

By way of feedback... This is a change is disappointing from my view point.
I am not a hardcore player so appreciate my finger my not be on the pulse in terms of the community. none the less..

When i do login to play, i love listening to the lore that Galnet used to provide, and really think that the storys provided lots of entertainment. in a way it was like listening to the news whilst driving to work, also given in elite you are not the focus of the story and just another dude making there way in the universe, this really added to that feeling.

Given the number of story's on galnet right now (its very sparse), i would have preferred to see an additive approach to this rather than a subtractive one.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
We've had this for almost half a year now and I must say that while at first I liked the idea, hoping there would be SLIGHTLY less stories (as per Stephen's FAQ post), but ones that would allow me to INVESTIGATE stuff in game.

Instead the ONLY stories being the ones about ongoing II's, which don't happen that often. Also, most of the stories - even though they are related to an ongoing II - are just as off-camera, as the previous stories were.

I think it was a terrible decision now that I've see how it actually works in practise. The galaxy feels very lifeless now :(

FDEV said they've hired additional writers... I'm very sorry to say, from a player's perspective it feels like they have sacked half of the team instead.

@Stephen Benedetti do you have any further info on the below please?

Can we expect to see more coverage on affairs with major player groups?
This is something we have discussed, and, while we don't have any concrete details for you right now, we fully intend to investigate this further.

Are the GalNet 'off-camera' stories getting totally removed, or just reduced?
For now, the plan is to remove them, but we may reassess this decision in the future. We’re always reviewing the changes we make to the game and their impact on the overall player experience, and adapting and adjusting where necessary.

Will there be any Interstellar Initiatives this year, or have the Open Letter Crew caused them to be postponed like they postponed Fleet Carriers?

I would say the latter seems most likely - IIs will end up in the same dead end of the Thargoid narrative :)
tenor.gif

Personally I'm less bothered by the lack of galnets that the cause of that - there's not much happening in the game.

Will there be any Interstellar Initiatives this year, or have the Open Letter Crew caused them to be postponed like they postponed Fleet Carriers?
You’re seriously blaming this on the players?

You’re seriously blaming this on the players?
It is all we can do :) As FC's were withdrawn 'because' of the Open Letter we will never know if things were actually ready, no matter how much tinfoil we have.
Likewise, if there is a further delay due to the 'Community Voice' demands, we can still never know... Think about it, those demands are 'Carte Blanche' for anything once acknowledged as they can be used to delay any update.
Regardless of what one may believe, there is no evidence available to prove or disprove things.

Actually, no. We can still blame Frontier for choosing to listen to 10 YouTubers instead of the other 2 million people who bought the game. ;)
I already did that, having 'spokespersons' claiming to represent 'The Community' whilst actually only representing their own agenda was something I spoke out against at the time of this 'Open Letter', but as I don't happen to be a youtube/twitch/reddit 'influencer' my objections were futile.

This 'Community Voice' acknowledgement by FD, and their subsequent 'compliance' appears to me to be a perfect solution to any in-house development issues as they can claim that they are following the 'demands' as presented.

I think ED is a great game, FDev knows the direction they want it to go in, they should act on their decisions, not those of a handful of 'Loud Voices'.

what direction is FDev going in though? Do they want to create a complex narrative ? Do they want to create a sandbox mmo where they allow the players to create the narrative thru their actions? Do they want to mix the two and create a poorly implemented narrative while not allowing any player actions to have any impact? Do they want to create a crafting game where players work together and create a sort of player driven economy to build complex and very long term items like space stations and carriers? Do they want to create a game where you simply have to grind the same routine just to inflate gameplay times so you can brag to investors ? Do they want to do all of this at the same time and have a playerbase segmented into a half dozen or more types of gamers so that no matter what they do they are going to let down all of them because nearly everything they can do is a compromise compounded with the compromise of business decisions because they are also wanting to deliver a game that has ongoing content requiring a constant source of income over the lifetime of the game while only having players pay once at the beginning.

before we can be upset with some self important attention seekers on social media (all of them are) trying to steer the game to some specific vision, we'd have to first agree that fdev even has a vision of their own that isn't impossible or self destructive ...and I dont know if such a thing can be said. It might not be a vision you enjoy, but I'd say the argument is strong that some vision is better, no matter what it is, than no vision.

Last edited:
I already did that, having 'spokespersons' claiming to represent 'The Community' whilst actually only representing their own agenda was something I spoke out against at the time of this 'Open Letter', but as I don't happen to be a youtube/twitch/reddit 'influencer' my objections were futile.

I didn't sign the open letter for just that reason. I'm often quite critical of Galnet on the forums because it failed to represent the story that was happening in game and gave us nothing but dead ends. However those are my opinions and I'm the one writing them. If FD want to take notice of me they can do. Likewise they can just ignore me and decide to do the most commercially viable option as they see it.

It doesn't matter to the person next to me. They have different opinions and are entitled to post however they want.

I don't speak for the community when I say I thought Galnet was pointless and should have taken more notice of in game events and player created content rather than focus on fluff that created the illusion of secrets we could find, but it does seem that my opinions may have been shared by sufficient people for this fact to be recognized by FD.

As for bugs its obvious they need to be fixed. I can't speak about fleet carriers as I have no idea what they will be like.

I really hope they decide to take it back and bring the flavor news back because I definitely miss the stories. There's nothing pointless about lore in this context anymore than any story one might read is considered pointless.

I get wanting more in game actionable content in GalNet; but total removal of the galactic narrative happening behind the scenes? It's only a loss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom