Engineers Palin won't take my sensor fragments to unlock

Hi, I've got a weird problem for which I've done a bit of googling and can't find an answer that fits my problem.

I've done the 5000LY and got the invite from Palin; I've got about 50 sensor fragments and gone to Abel Labs but there's no option in the Engineering Workshop to give them to Palin, even though he says he's looking for them. The bar just sits there 'grayed out' on 0/0.

I feel I'm missing something obvious.

what does the "Known engineers" tab say about him?
E.g.,
1579042130278.png

what does the "Known engineers" tab say about him?
Good spot, didn't check there! The plot thickens, Palin isn't in there!! So, question. How can I have an invitation from Palin which I've been sitting on for months and he doesn't even show in my Known Engineers?! If I didn't have the invitation, I would understand it but I only knew where to find him because the invitation told me. Ergo I went there and he said he wanted the fragments.

This is starting to sound like it's just broken.

that's what I was suggesting in my earlier post :)

I think it's just confusing - there're 3 steps involved:
  • discovering the engineer, either through public knowledge or through another engineer
  • getting an invite
  • taking the goods to the engineer to gain access to its services

In the case of Palin, you get an invite by traveling farther than 5k (coincidentally, I'm doing this RN with my alt) but you also need to discover him before you can use your invite. To discover him, you need to take Marco Qwent to ~ grade 3/4. To get to Marco Qwent you need to:
1 - discover him through Elvira Martuuk
2 - get a sirius permit to enter sirius
3 - rank your sirius corp rep up to allied
4 - complete an invitation mission to get an invite
5 - find 25T of modular terminals (only obtainable through missions) to be able to access its services

I'm hoping that my 5kly trip back and forth will give me enough explo data to get through steps 1-3 without doing anything else than selling, but I'm not sure it will :)
Enjoy!

Dude, unless I'm missing something ( and apologies if I've misread the above ). Focus on this part: "I have the invitation from Palin. I reckon I've had it for at least a year and got it after I unlocked Elvira. I went to him and Palin asked me for the fragments". I didn't have to do anything with Marco to get the invitation from Palin and his request for fragments. Palin didn't say, "Go back and see Marco", otherwise I would've done this. I'm following the game logic exactly as it has been presented to me.

Still waiting for those pics, but since you say you don't have Palin in your most of engineers I guess we won't get any.

Good luck!

Still waiting for those pics, but since you say you don't have Palin in your most of engineers I guess we won't get any.

Good luck!
Nothing to show pics of. What I'm doing is working off the assumption that, even though I've already followed up on the Palin invitation, I've just rolled Elivra to G4 and triggered new invitations from Marco plus a couple of others and I'm going to do the rest of Redden's suggested steps to see if it triggers Palin accepting the fragments he asked me for. If that doesn't work, it's ticket time.

Dude, unless I'm missing something ( and apologies if I've misread the above ). Focus on this part: "I have the invitation from Palin. I reckon I've had it for at least a year and got it after I unlocked Elvira. I went to him and Palin asked me for the fragments". I didn't have to do anything with Marco to get the invitation from Palin and his request for fragments. Palin didn't say, "Go back and see Marco", otherwise I would've done this. I'm following the game logic exactly as it has been presented to me.

Yep, that's why I'm saying it's confusing. There's nothing preventing you from getting the invite even if you didn't first discover it, but then you still have to have done both in order to be able to access it. It's a problem that FDev has (and always had): they often fail to anticipate that people won't do things exactly as they plan them to, and this leads to exploits and overall confusion.

To recap: whatever the game says, you need both to discover Palin and to be invited. At the moment, you satisfy just the latter condition, follow the steps to get the invitation (there're plenty of guides on how to make it as less painfully as possible) and you'll see that once you trigger the discover event, you'll be able to go give him his fragments ;-)

Last edited:
Well it's working so far and a little too well. Went to Procyon to start the mission board grind for a permit and the mission it offers straight away is a permit acquisition mission. So I take it, open the mail and voila, I have the Sirius Permit. Didn't have to do anything. Flew to a station in Sirius, went straight to the mission board, first mission is a courier mission to unlock Marco Qwent.

Now just looking for Modular Terminals which after checking faction after faction after faction in different station mission boards around Sirius, I've only come across one mission I could do - for a measly six terminals. This is going to be tedious. I thought missions for Modular Terminals were supposed to be numerous once Marco was unlocked? Apparently not.

A while back the only way to get these was by doing passenger missions, so consider yourself lucky! ;)
Thanks, that will teach me for flogging my passenger transport after FDev nerfed passenger missions with their usual, "Hey, people found a way to be successful, kill it..."

No joy so far. Found a recovery mission for 35 modular terminals which took care of Marco and then went back to Palin - nothing. Still can't give him the fragments. Don't tell me I now have to waste mats rolling stuff I don't need for Qwent as well? ( doh - yup )

Please someone get VR working for Foundations so I can switch lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom