High-end mining material prices seem maybe a little bit TOO volatile

Thats what I said and everyone jumped on me.
Those that jumped on you will probably start realising their folly when FD eventually get round to finalising the balancing elements around mining in general. V3.6 is seemingly at least a step in the right direction (volatile prices are a good indication of that) but they probably should consider addressing yields and other concerns.

Yeah well I have a ship with 113 void opals in it sitting....somewhere. I'll check the market daily on EDDB but in the meantime I'll be playing another popular title. Cheers mates. Sure was fun while it lasted.

Yeah well I have a ship with 113 void opals in it sitting....somewhere. I'll check the market daily on EDDB but in the meantime I'll be playing another popular title. Cheers mates. Sure was fun while it lasted.
You can still mine LTDs. I made 130mill today in 2hours.

Time and risk - higher value items should be both harder to come by, carry more risk to both acquire and transport
This would obviously solve the issue. Also the emphasis would have to be on the acquiring rarity. In order for NPCs to pose a threat, you'd have to completely rethink that aspect of the game (as currently NPCs can only realistically hinder the new players and none of them pose any risk to an end-game cutter even if you make the interdiction game harder to win).

I'm a bit doubtful that they'll change the ease of rare mineral acquisition though, the CMDR tears after that change would fill the oceans of a 5 earth mass water planet.

[...] but dont try and lie and pretend like maintaining rank 5 was half an hour of your time per week. [...]

Mining painite and other previous 100-300 million an hour bugs in the game are playing in a totally different field.

Sorry where did I say I was able to maintain that in half an hour? It took me hours in wings to do that. It was basically ALL i was doing in E D at the time. Exactly as you said. My point was: I don't want it to be this ty for everybody just because because it was ty for me.

IF there's a game mechanic that allows me to accrue 300 millions in a couple of hrs (or more, a 470mil Vopal cargo took me several hours, bot it was worth it!) to put my mind at peace and then dedicate myself to the game proper without fear of having to pay a 50 mil rebuy... I'm happy with that.
See, the point is, When you start playing with the "big toys" (vettes, anacondas etc...) rebuy and expenses go up fast, mission rewards do not. Take the operating costs of a, say, type7 or python (or smaller ships) and those of bigger ships and you'll see operating costs vs "wages" are not proportionate. I would actually like to see my payout grow with my ranks, e.g. if I'm combat elite I should access to higher paying assassination missions and given the same mission should be payed more than a combat "competent" commander, likewise for trading and exploring payouts, with the "base pays staying at their current level. That would ba a sensible system, IMHO, without "punishing" who has more and helping who's starting.

You know maybe add a mechanic where you could enter in haggling/bargaining with the mission offering party with the chance to lose the contract altogether if you push it too far.

Bottom line is, I do agree with easy credits, they are just a small part of the game and enable you to have the peace of mind to dedicate your gaming self to more "rewarding" activities (gameplay-wise).

EDIT: I know the mechanic for accessing higher paying missions based on rank is there, I just feel it's not enough. Sometimes between the damages you sustaing, refueling and rearming you might break even. Payouts should cover at least some of the rebuy cost (like 25% - 50%?). Is it like that?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200118-103020_YouTube.jpg

I don't do facebook (or wherever that screenshot is from), but if you want a comment: at the announcement I thought "ok, it's time". During the first couple of days I thought "doesn't work - something is wrong". Now I think "looks good to me, things seem to have stabilized and there's now some dependency on demand". The actual values in this mechanic might benefit from a bit of balancing, but overall it looks ok to me.
Maybe some time in the future, some industry could discover a technical use of VOs or LTDs (or one of the other rare minerals) and speed up the refill for the demand bar.

Feels like a game-balance decision to keep people from stockpiling billions of CR before the release of carriers.

On the flip side, FDev may have wanted high paying mining to continue as long as it did, as a way for people who did not already have billions in credits (like myself (a casual player) and new players), to make enough since the FC announcement to buy one. A few billion may not be adequate to do many upgrades (if FCs are upgradable) but hopefully will be enough to get one and do some low end upgrades. ... of course, that's assuming a stock FC will only be a ~couple billion

PS from the ADS time, I have seen that also exploration has been significantly buffed. I gained about 14 mil in an hour of running around DSSing ELWs. IN THE BUBBLE. Back in the day the whole trip to SagA* (with an unengineered ASPX, didn't have engineers back then) and back netted me MAYBE 150mil. Maybe less. Do we want to ask for a nerf in exploration earnings too? That is too much money compared to what I used to make in v1.x

Most people who welcome the change are asking for a better balanced economy. You can still easily make 14 million an hour with mining, so why should someone suggest to nerf exploration payouts?

EDIT: I know the mechanic with the ranks for accessing higher paying missions is kind of there, I just feel the missions do not pay enough.
There's endless possibilities.

Mission payouts depend far more on your faction rep and the system states than your rank, which seems to have very little influence on the rewards. Mission payouts do seem to be a bit all over the place sometimes and often make little sense. The best way I've found to ensure good payouts, is to just visit systems that are in a boom state and quickly rep up with a few of the factions.

Most people who welcome the change are asking for a better balanced economy. You can still easily make 14 million an hour with mining, so why should someone suggest to nerf exploration payouts?

Because it would be the same principle as some of us are pushing "it wasn't this easy "in my time": so it makes sense to nerf it. I was just trying to be sarcastinc and point out that all it seems to me is old players being salty because the new players have it somewhat easier.

Because it would be the same principle as some of us are pushing "it wasn't this easy "in my time": so it makes sense to nerf it. I was just trying to be sarcastinc and point out that all it seems to me is old players being salty because the new players have it somewhat easier.
Well I think they just point out how little we were earning in the early days to show that you don't need ridiculous amounts of money in order to have fun.
Of course it's easier to assume that everyone with a different opinion is just mean.

This would obviously solve the issue. Also the emphasis would have to be on the acquiring rarity. In order for NPCs to pose a threat, you'd have to completely rethink that aspect of the game (as currently NPCs can only realistically hinder the new players and none of them pose any risk to an end-game cutter even if you make the interdiction game harder to win).
Not necessarily, it is balancing act regarding multiple factors and FD have the pre-3.x benchmark as a baseline - somewhere between what 3.x has given us to date and where it was pre-3.x is probably the ideal.

I'm a bit doubtful that they'll change the ease of rare mineral acquisition though, the CMDR tears after that change would fill the oceans of a 5 earth mass water planet.
I disagree that FD will not re balance things appropriately, it just may not be in the way people in the community suggest. The 3.6 changes are a step in the right direction, those complaining about market price volatility will probably have to buy themselves water wings in the long run since I have no doubt FD will institute changes that will upset them further otherwise they may drown themselves with their own QQing. ;)

Last edited:
It was about time. I mean, before the update dropped, I earned over 0.5 billion in 2 mining trips to an LTD triple hotspot - and that paid less then Void Opals. I love mining but that's just silly money, and invalidated any oher activity - including mining missions - for earning credits.

I do have issues with how Demand in markets seems to be too volatile (not just for mining goods, for everything) but I'll save that for another thread.

Just shows 49% have no interest playing the game, just win it quickly as possible. I'm a firm believer they should have taken it even further. Not lower prices, but longer intervals between "resets" (it's 10? minutes now according to a post somewhere)

So, you are saying that 49% of people "have no interest in playing the game"? If we then add 30% of people who "don't care", that then totals 80% of people who aren't interested in playing the game "correctly". Well oookay. XD

The more obvious logic is that the opinions on display on these forums are not represntive of the wider community. And that's hardly surprising, as it's the same few individuals posting the same opinion over and over, post after post.

Nothing new there then...same old forums.
:D

It was about time. I mean, before the update dropped, I earned over 0.5 billion in 2 mining trips to an LTD triple hotspot - and that paid less then Void Opals. I love mining but that's just silly money, and invalidated any other activity - including mining missions - for earning credits.

I do have issues with how Demand in markets seems to be too volatile (not just for mining goods, for everything) but I'll save that for another thread.

I wonder... if we are addressing this as a single issue, when maybe it's a couple (or more). Cost fluctuations and the appropriate price for commodities are two separate issues to mining/trading. I agree that volatility should be considered, and I would add to that, pilot's ability to track that volatility in-game.

Still trying to figure out how you launch a game with an "economy" and no way to actually view sell/buy costs of prospective markets -- so bad that players had to build their own tools to collect market data until updates (about 2 years later?) started sharing market data in-game. And my experience with the in-game market tools seem to always lead me back to the player-created ones (like eddb.io, etc.) However, like the OP observed, if the data accessible on the market is outdated by the time a ship full of goods can reach it, then it becomes a bit of a crapshoot. I hope this isn't FDEV's way to slowly make player-based market tools obsolete, and force the playerbase to use the in-game tools; not without significantly changing the way the in-game tools work.

Seems like the majority of my recent gameplay focused on gaining credits to purchase a unicorn...eh...sorry...Fleet Carrier (to each their own.) So when weighing options between trading/ mining/ bounty hunting/ piracy, VO mining best fit my playstyle/ RL time constraints/ goals. Nothing even came close to the CR/hour. Call that un-balanced if you want, call it a feature if you want. I could see why people are ed. But we live/play in FDEV's world (galaxy), something they seem to remind us of every time an update comes around. If they want stations to buy VOs for 1CR/ton they can set that, and the playerbase will then adjust -- or stop playing. "Gold rushes" be they passenger missions, skimmer missions, or VO/LTD/Double Painite mining, seem to have been a way of life in this place for a long time and will probably continue. Who knows maybe the next get-rich-quick scheme will involve buying Biowaste at Jameson Memorial, where we know the supply is always high...

So, you are saying that 49% of people "have no interest in playing the game"? If we then add 30% of people who "don't care", that then totals 80% of people who aren't interested in playing the game "correctly". Well oookay. XD

The more obvious logic is that the opinions on display on these forums are not represntive of the wider community. And that's hardly surprising, as it's the same few individuals posting the same opinion over and over, post after post.

Nothing new there then...same old forums.
:D

To be fair the Official Forums will usually attract people more supportive than critical.

Until things go wrong and then it's often the other way around.

What's interesting to me is the general lack of doom threads following the update. I'm a semi retired player at the minute but I'm curious about how these market changes work and this might pull me back in. I think there is also a further question to be asked about how a Mining Fleet Carrier might help out with these new permutations. It seems the price is set by the quantity you bring into a station so if you could leave some in the support ship portion of your fleet Carrier would you be able to take advantage of market price manipulations?

Top Bottom