On a more serious note: please don't gank brand new players coming out of the station

I dunno about "too big", I've engaged in emergent PvP before, just not in the absolute core hotspots. There are a few mini-player-hubs that have reliable enough traffic for you to see people (and actually engage in combat over real reasons, like supporting opposing sides in a conflict) without being busy enough to be reliable sealclubbing-grounds.

I won't argue about the powergap though.

Sure. Just as you can get request for duels at SD. What I think about is more like the New Bushido concept you could read about in Hyperion : when two factions have strong tech enough for mutual annihilation they do wars for sport with strict rules of engagement. That's something player groups kind of already do as well but I just think it should be hardcoded directly into the game, for mercenaries to socialize and pick sides without making it a lobsided stomp.

I'm with you on that, but that is a different discussion which comes up every other week too, same as the ganker one.

So long it only effects only the player that should be fine. Discovery is fine, so long the data turned in does not translate into inf gain for the controlling faction if in passive mode.
Maybe a toggle which then toggled does something similar as getting killed, all missions, data, cargo gone. Keep the discovery scans, but delete the cr amounts associated with them if toggled.

I think it's fine to let people earn credits from discovery and exploration while flagged, but as you said, remove influence and and powerplay changes that would otherwise occur. And agreed on what happens when they toggle.

There are many ways to legally circumvent things, no hacking required. Take station ramming for example, you could make your "victim" being the aggressor very easily. You restrict something, people will find a way around it.
I racked up 500mil bounty in 2 days just from doing BGS work, needed to pay it if I wanted my ship clean again or eventually would have to pay it on the rebuy screen. C&P is already doing in a way what you want, the higher your notoriety and discrepancy between ships the higher the bounties. I think I got 5mil for each system security Eagle then I had notoriety 10.

That being said, I like the system security in high sec systems to be much more capable and pose a real threat to anyone who is wanted in that system.

Only way I see one could circumvent insurance responsibility is to stay strictly legal. But that is kind of hard if you really want to play gank fun. Maybe if you could irritate would be victim to be first shooter, but that requires co-operating victim. Plus interdiction is offence. For station ramming mitigation, well use autodocker or stay below speed limit and ramming becomes just suicidal.

Probably that kind of reform I suggested would lead to most gankers inventing some other just as much irritating "fun", but well human inventiveness is basically limitless.

Gankers who seal club are THE LOWEST of the LOW. What a scumbag to do this to a noob player. I bet the idiot who did this was happy with himself for killing a real person in his ship. What a mentality gankers have. Scum the lot of them. Just my personal opinion.

Gankers who seal club are THE LOWEST of the LOW. What a scumbag to do this to a noob player. I bet the idiot who did this was happy with himself for killing a real person in his ship. What a mentality gankers have. Scum the lot of them. Just my personal opinion.
Yes. But the point was the Ganker was existing in their natural environment i.e. Open. Behaving according to their natural form of pathological behavior where said anti social interaction is completely permitted.

Unconvinced? Well here's an example: you love deep sea diving as taking pics of coral reef and other underwater marine environments is your hobby. You know sharks are rumored to frequent said environment. But you throw caution to the wind and go deep sea diving anyways. And immediately end up being some great white's appetizer snack. Leaving your other diver friends to be furious at the great white community. And organize a protest appealing to the public for greater concern of the great white community. That the public should have greater awareness of the predatory/pathological behavior of said community. Demanding behavior constraints be placed on said community. For exhibiting their nature in THEIR natural environment :ROFLMAO:

Sorry. IMO the seal club victim is at fault for NOT opting to enter the right session prior to playing the game i.e. either PG or remaining in Solo. The level of personal accountability has to start somewhere.

IMO before buying the game, they had the personal responsibility to research whether this game was complimentary to their typical play style. And if so, what sort of game modes (solo v. CoOp) existed to give them options in how they play. They would've saved themselves a rebuy screen had they simply bothered to come on here first and ask the obvious question. Or inquire at other sites like on reddit etc. Which would've rendered the need to make a forum post like the OPs completely unnecessary.....

Last edited:
I get that ganking is irritating but you guys throw tantrums worse than bullied school kids... Just play the game, learn to evade. Noobs are getting stomped? Do something about it. Less talk more action.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so much a gripe coming from me, but I do see it as a strange hybrid system that appears to stoke contempt, and it isn't hard to see why. I get what you're saying - that this is what it is, and that people should be capable of adjusting to the game's format - but it seems to have an active and endless debate built right into it.
Only because the 'I wants', view the opposition, with contempt.

The whole idea, that 'others are doing things against me, without me having a chance to oppose them', is a false premiss. Simply because you can't be everywhere at the same time, all of the time. It is like someone stating: I know that they are playing in open, but, they are waiting for me to log off, before they log-on and affecting the BGS etc..

Last edited:
Yes. But the point was the Ganker was existing in their natural environment i.e. Open. Behaving according to their natural form of pathological behavior where said anti social interaction is completely permitted.

Unconvinced? Well here's an example: you love deep sea diving as taking pics of coral reef and other underwater marine environments is your hobby. You know sharks are rumored to frequent said environment. But you throw caution to the wind and go deep sea diving anyways. And immediately end up being some great white's appetizer snack. Leaving your other diver friends to be furious at the great white community. And organize a protest appealing to the public for greater concern of the great white community. That the public should have greater awareness of the predatory/pathological behavior of said community. Demanding behavior constraints be placed on said community. For exhibiting their nature in THEIR natural environment :ROFLMAO:

Sorry. IMO the seal club victim is at fault for NOT opting to enter the right session prior to playing the game i.e. either PG or remaining in Solo. The level of personal accountability has to start somewhere.

IMO before buying the game, they had the personal responsibility to research whether this game was complimentary to their typical play style. And if so, what sort of game modes (solo v. CoOp) existed to give them options in how they play. They would've saved themselves a rebuy screen had they simply bothered to come on here first and ask the obvious question. Or inquire at other sites like on reddit etc. Which would've rendered the need to make a forum post like the OPs completely unnecessary.....
By your reckoning, the great white sharks are just waiting for any humans, to get into the water. Agreed, the great white is only doing what nature has 'programmed' it to do. Every instinct of the great whites, is to eat. Smell something = go and try to eat it. Feel something, through it's nervous system = go and try to eat it. See something = Go and try to eat it. Homing in and using its teeth, is all great whites do. Morality does not exist in a sharks mind. Mating is even dangerous for them. Billy Connolly said the same as you do. 'Don't get upset, if they attack you, you are in their world!' Griefers are a different species, they are ment to be human beings with a sense of values and morals. As I have said and you have basically repeated. You might as well use the excuse: They were asking for it, by simply being there.

Last edited:
Sure. Just as you can get request for duels at SD. What I think about is more like the New Bushido concept you could read about in Hyperion : when two factions have strong tech enough for mutual annihilation they do wars for sport with strict rules of engagement. That's something player groups kind of already do as well but I just think it should be hardcoded directly into the game, for mercenaries to socialize and pick sides without making it a lobsided stomp.
What a beautiful concept. Laughable, but beautiful.

I think it's fine to let people earn credits from discovery and exploration while flagged, but as you said, remove influence and and powerplay changes that would otherwise occur. And agreed on what happens when they toggle.
I believe, that if a 'flagged system was in place. It should be No or OFF, for the whole session. With a time-out, such as 6 hours, before you can change it. Simply because with a flagged system in place, that can be changed, as the flick of a switch. Players, could pick and choose, who they want to fight. Which the bullies would be first and most likely to exploit.

I would also say, that if such a system came into ED, then flagged or not, you should be able to have the same amount of influence, as it has been, for all the modes, since before, day one.

I believe, that if a 'flagged system was in place. It should be No or OFF, for the whole session. With a time-out, such as 6 hours, before you can change it. Simply because with a flagged system in place, that can be changed, as the flick of a switch. Players, could pick and choose, who they want to fight. Which the bullies would be first and most likely to exploit.

I would also say, that if such a system came into ED, then flagged or not, you should be able to have the same amount of influence, as it has been, for all the modes, since before, day one.

You can flip your flag every 30 seconds in RDR2 and bullies aren't able to take advantage. Because of the 6DOF etc., it would need to be ten minutes at minimum and persist through logging on/off. One change I think from a system like RDR2's that would be needed though is that flagged players just couldn't attack non-flagged. Unlike RDR2, you can't just pull out your gun and respond. Sitting around in a mining ship you're almost certain to have no way to deal with a ganker. Better to just block attacking unflagged players similar to other MMOs.

What's the protocol when a harmless noob ignores wing requests, and then starts ramming when they loose a bounty?
Well that kind of collision usually means that they are going to explode. Unless you have some pretty lightweight ship. And yes I do not consider anybody owning an Anaconda a noob.

it just dawned on me an aspect of the original post that has so far been ignored.

you, the OP and I presume a longer term player than the friend you have mentioned, did not prepare or provide any level of insight to your friend to save them from such a noob reality? did you offer no tips and tricks? no training on how to survive in open while still having a good time? did you not fly wing with your friend to protect them on their maiden voyage? you just left them alone to figure it out on their own and come to the forums to complain about their experience?

makes me question who the real ganker is in the his scenario.

it just dawned on me an aspect of the original post that has so far been ignored.

you, the OP and I presume a longer term player than the friend you have mentioned, did not prepare or provide any level of insight to your friend to save them from such a noob reality? did you offer no tips and tricks? no training on how to survive in open while still having a good time? did you not fly wing with your friend to protect them on their maiden voyage? you just left them alone to figure it out on their own and come to the forums to complain about their experience?

makes me question who the real ganker is in the his scenario.
"Hmm, how can I blame literally anyone but the aggressors in this situation..?"

Top Bottom