On a more serious note: please don't gank brand new players coming out of the station

This made me glol:D

I tried PvP piracy exactly once, quite recently. It was in Reorte (home of the CODE), and I was there in my pirate Viper Mk4 to farm mats from mining ships in the local RES.

When I was about to leave, I spotted a CMDR in a T9, so I thought, let's see how this works. Interdicted him (I felt bad already), then spent the next few seconds typing "don't run", and immediately scanning his hold (still feeling bad), while his FSD spooled up already.

Turns out he was running empty. Seconds later, he low-waked before I could even type "good luck;)" and that was that.

I realise I was in the wrong ship, but it was oh so tempting to just open up because they completely ignored me. As such, I can completely understand why most CMDRs just don't bother with any formalities at all, and worst case just open up straightaway.
There's a very thin line between piracy and killing. My proposal is just an example to disable ANY action of a commander withoput destroying him. If you disable the FSD they have no choice to run away. Then you will have time enough to declare your "necessity for donations".
If they're not as generous as you like them to be...get for their legs (thrusters). Maybe then they will open their pockets.
And if not...Well there's the 3-Strike.🤷‍♀️ And the best...you won't be charged for murder, cause you didn't kill them.

To make it clear...I'm NOT a pirate or a Ganker / Griefer. Only a bit...well...sadistic?:sneaky:

Edit: mistyping again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
"enjoy the flaming" - Just a note to anyone here who made any post claiming we can't understand the motivations and emotions that drive this kind of play.
I've said it elsewhere before, but whenever I am in a traffic heavy system (CGs in particular), the taunts, smack talk & personal insults coming from the PvE crowd (I am part of that group even though I play in Open) far outnumber those from the other 'side', and I find it pretty embarrassing and pathetic - some even do this from Solo/PG, since System Chat is across modes.

You could think gankers/PvPers are holding their families at gunpoint or something. Completely uncalled for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also please stop wasting real life energy on these socially challenged morons. Your absolute and complete solution to playing with other civilized players (like myself) is Mobius PvE. PvP of any kind is explicitly forbidden.
I was told about Mobius, but my only exposure to that community so far has been your posts, which are alarmingly condescending. You're an ambassador of sorts for this community, yes? And the pitch is "If you're not with Mobius, you're filth"? This is a rather odd approach. You might want to tone it down.

Anyway, on topic...

If piracy was more profitable in this game there may actually be more PVP pirates out there, sadly it is not a viable career. So most PVP encounters are going to be some sad git who gets his jollys of the back of some noobie just trying to get started. :(
PvP enthusiasts aren't sociopaths, though. As you've pointed out, the ones that aren't inclined to just pop Sidewinders for a laugh don't have much to do here with one another, because there is a lack of well-developed native content. Can't make a living from piracy. Can't fight for control of my own space, nor can I defend my space and the things that I have built within it. Can't earn unique rewards by completing a range of PvP objectives. These are the foundations of PvP that has a real purpose, and that's just not how Elite works. It is definitively not a showcase of human conflict.

You identify the core issue for piracy:-

For piracy to work between players, talking has to be a better option than running for the interdicted player.

It's not easy to set up the game to make this the case, so it's not surprising that FD haven't succeeded. Some features which contradict this ATM are:
1. Running is very safe.
2. Chat UI is clumsy.
3. The interdicted player doesn't know whether he faces a pirate or a lulz-killer.

1 and 2 could probably be fixed. After all the multi-page threads on these subjects I think we're still waiting for a solution to 3 though.
3: I will always assume the latter, until that pirate message comes over the coms. I am still running anyway, I just now know, it's 'my decision', to risk my ship.

Can't a pre typed message, be pasted into the coms somehow?

Mobius is a possible solution, but it's boring after a while.
I advise everyone to try it out if upset by ganking/PvP.
Engineer your ships and come back to open if you like more thrill.
It's what I did.
(And I spent nearly two thousand hours in Mobius, many friends still there, others gone, others came to open...)

I've said it elsewhere before, but whenever I am in a traffic heavy system (CGs in particular), the taunts, smack talk & personal insults coming from the PvE crowd (I am part of that group even though I play in Open) far outnumber those from the other 'side', and I find it pretty embarrassing and pathetic - some even do this from Solo/PG, since System Chat is across modes.

I'm not surprised there are also problems with behavior coming from players of all types. But the motivations that drive ganking and disruptive behavior are easily understood, despite what some here tried to claim.

I'm beginning to change my opinion about gankers, thanks to all these void opal snowflakes. Perhaps the galaxy needs them after all.

I'll still block you if you murder me in cold blood, but then again I'm not a VOSF.

You STILL don't get it, that I'm on YOUR side...but hell...just remain reading only what you want to read.:rolleyes:

I'm reading what you write. The exact words. Either there is some community secret that you post about doing things you don't do and actually hate that other people do instead, sorry, I'm too new to know you say you do things you don't do.

@Old Duck "We" need them...otherwise the galaxy would be even more of a boring place than it is already with all those sealclubbing and ganking cloggers. :sneaky:

Deleted member 182079

D
There's a very thin line between piracy and killing. My proposal is just an example to disable ANY action of a commander withoput destroying him. If you disable the FSD they ahve now choice to run away. Then you will have time enough to declare your "necessity for donations".
If they're not as generous as you like them to be...get for they're legs (thrusters). Maybe then they will open their pockets.
And if not...Well there's the 3-Strike.🤷‍♀️ And the best...you won't be charged for murder, cause you didn't kill them.

To make it clear...I'm NOT a pirate or a Ganker / Griefer. Only a bit...well...sadistic?:sneaky:
Honestly, all sounds pretty reasonable to me:)

I'm reading what you write. The exact words. Either there is some community secret that you post about doing things you don't do and actually hate that other people do instead, sorry, I'm too new to know you say you do things you don't do.
Okay...to clear things up...I'm hunting Gankers and Griefers because i was ganked in the past, when I was a Newbie. Now I'm more experienced, well trained and my Ride is hot as FrenchFries. And what is more satisfiing than to see a ganker beeing ganked? But not only ganked...nooo...that would be too easy...humiliated with the tactic I proposed. To kill them is easy...to make them SUFFER, THAT'S worth the time. Doesn't work to 100%...but I keep trying.;)

Okay...to clear things up...I'm hunting Gankers and Griefers because i was ganked in the past, when I was a Newbie. Now I'm more experienced, well trained and my Ride is hot as FrenchFries. And what is more satisfiing than to see a ganker beeing ganked? But not only ganked...nooo...that would be too easy...humiliated with the tactic I proposed. To kill them is easy...to make them SUFFER, THAT'S worth the time. Doesn't work to 100%...but I keep trying.;)

Got it - I'm glad you hunt gankers, a good thing to do. Just a good idea to be wary of letting the motivations get shifted you know? I have (as you've noticed) some opinions on gankers as a group, but I really don't get any joy from their unhappiness, even when receiving what they deserve. Duly noted now and remembered fwiw.

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm not surprised there are also problems with behavior coming from players of all types. But the motivations that drive ganking and disruptive behavior are easily understood, despite what some here tried to claim.
What I'm trying to say is, both sides may engage in inflammatory behaviour. The difference is, while one side is causing grief by exploding one's ship in a game (happened countless times to me, until I 'gitted gud', and suddenly it stopped, unless I allow it to happen), the other side is issuing verbal abuse that more often than not quite personal and hits below the belt. Most gankers tend to just attack and move on to the next target. As long as you don't initiate questionable system chat messages that is. I can count on less than one hand (2 CMDRs in fact) gankers that also sent unpleasant messages through comms, and tbh it may have just been some poor taste of RPing.

I personally think stuff like seal clubbing is completely poor form, but if players are not ready yet for those sort of engagements, then they can still stick to Solo until they learn the ropes better, until they can deal with those and not be seal clubbed any longer - that's exactly what I did, and I have very little interest in full-on PvP.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a very thin line between piracy and killing. My proposal is just an example to disable ANY action of a commander withoput destroying him. If you disable the FSD they ahve now choice to run away. Then you will have time enough to declare your "necessity for donations".
If they're not as generous as you like them to be...get for they're legs (thrusters). Maybe then they will open their pockets.

Paying up?

Most of the time, it is not my own cargo, it is mission cargo. So, cn I replace mission cargo, with something I can buy?

What I'm trying to say is, both sides may engage in inflammatory behaviour. The difference is, while one side is causing grief by exploding one's ship in a game (happened countless times to me, until I 'gitted gud', and suddenly it stopped, unless I allow it to happen), the other side is issuing verbal abuse that more often than not quite personal and hits below the belt.

I personally think stuff like seal clubbing is completely poor form, but if players are not ready yet for those sort of engagements, then they can still stick to Solo until they learn the ropes better, until they can deal with those and not be seal clubbed any longer - that's exactly what I did, and I have very little interest in full-on PvP.

Mobius appears to be a good option for me, as I'd like the social aspect without this being yet another game where I have to amp up 24/7 to "deal with griefers" rather than be able to plan a session around farming eng mats, faction ranking, mining, or whatever else may catch my interest. And FWIW, if Mobius is filled with racist/vile chat, which I doubt, then I'll just go back to playing Solo (except when flying with my 7 yr old daughter in a PG). I don't want to babysit anyone's emotionally stunted offspring, whether it's because they can't control themselves in chat or if they get off on griefing.

You could think gankers/PvPers are holding their families at gunpoint or something. Completely uncalled for.
It's the sad part of MMOs.

The disparity is easily explained. There is a side that provokes, and there is a side that reacts. The side that provokes will indeed be less vitriolic since they're not on the receiving end of the provoking.

Mind you, that's not an excuse or in any way approval from me. But it's the result of the asymmetry of the encounter.

Paying up?

Most of the time, it is not my own cargo, it is mission cargo. So, cn I replace mission cargo, with something I can buy?
IF you're lucky enough to meet a REAL pirate, HE'll give you the time to explain your concerns. Therefor I always have some "spare-cargo" in the hold...Either I make profit with them or it safes my skin. I'm sure, He'll be pretty surprised when you offer him a deal of some sort. The most pirates are in the mood for a serious deal. They have kids to feed. ;)

Deleted member 182079

D
Mobius appears to be a good option for me, as I'd like the social aspect without this being yet another game where I have to amp up 24/7 to "deal with griefers" rather than be able to plan a session around farming eng mats, faction ranking, mining, or whatever else may catch my interest. And FWIW, if Mobius is filled with racist/vile chat, which I doubt, then I'll just go back to playing Solo (except when flying with my 7 yr old daughter in a PG). I don't want to babysit anyone's emotionally stunted offspring, whether it's because they can't control themselves in chat or if they get off on griefing.
I never tried Mobius so can't really comment, although I presume if you meet anyone there the chances are they're quite friendly as a result of the MO of that mode - although I've met countless of friendly CMDRs in Open, especially outside of the busier hotspots (given it's actually quite rare to bump into someone in quiet systems so people either ignore you, throw you a friendly o7 or initiate a chat sometimes).

Thing is, due to the way system chat works now, you can't really "hide" in Solo/PG if verbal abuse is the problem - in such case there's the block (and possibly report) option though.

Top Bottom