On a more serious note: please don't gank brand new players coming out of the station

Since I started in this game I have always asked myself the same question, for what kind of interactions, apart of PVP, do players want to play in open?

If it is to play with friends you have private,although if you go with friends in the game you should not be afraid in open.
What is the point of seeing other ships flying? I don't see any difference with seeing the npc ships.

All this of gankers, griefers, defenders of the galaxy and others, for many it does not mean anything. In a video game the only philosophy should be that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, there is no more.And if you lose many times, try more.

Deleted member 182079

D
Paying up?

Most of the time, it is not my own cargo, it is mission cargo. So, cn I replace mission cargo, with something I can buy?
In that case, you weigh off your chances of being able to escape, and thus completing the mission, or compare the mission reward/penalty vs your rebuy costs and see what's the lesser evil.

Deleted member 182079

D
IF you're lucky enough to meet a REAL pirate, HE'll give you the time to explain your concerns. Therefor I always have some "spare-cargo" in the hold...Either I make profit with them or it safes my skin. I'm sure, He'll be pretty surprised when you offer him a deal of some sort. The most pirates are in the mood for a serious deal. They have kids to feed. ;)
In over 4 years of playing the game, I have yet to be pirated by a CMDR. I'd be a cooperative customer;)

It's interesting, not every interdiction ends up with out-and-out combat - once I was pulled because the CMDR in question has a problem with people flying with docking computers (was quite a funny conversation) - I didn't, at least not that particular time, so we parted ways, and with another CMDR on each other's friend list.

Or another time, I was pulled by someone I know usually ganks in the usual hotspots, but he then asked me if I could help him test out his build - we stopped at less than 50% hull (for me anyways...).

Since I started in this game I have always asked myself the same question, for what kind of interactions, apart of PVP, do players want to play in open?

If it is to play with friends you have private,although if you go with friends in the game you should not be afraid in open.
What is the point of seeing other ships flying? I don't see any difference with seeing the npc ships.
Well, since you asked :) Meeting random other CMDRs, have a chat, some interaction. There are more ways to interact with each other than shooting.
All this of gankers, griefers, defenders of the galaxy and others, for many it does not mean anything. In a video game the only philosophy should be that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, there is no more.And if you lose many times, try more.
I'm sorry you feel the only philosophy in a game is winning or losing. There is so much more than that.

Distant Worlds for instance has entertained thousands of CMDRs, without the concept of winning or losing ever entering the picture. I play Elite to experience exploring a galaxy, the only way to win is to have fun doing it. No one loses.

Got it - I'm glad you hunt gankers, a good thing to do. Just a good idea to be wary of letting the motivations get shifted you know? I have (as you've noticed) some opinions on gankers as a group, but I really don't get any joy from their unhappiness, even when receiving what they deserve. Duly noted now and remembered fwiw.
Okay...great that we cleared things up...Unfortunatly those "bullies" don't have the guts to accept their defeat. They mostly think...okay..that's a rebuy...in 3 min. I'll be back in a fresh vessel. But if they are sitting ducks they commit a violation against the TOS/EULA...they clog. That is my time then to report them and they get shadow-banned (in the best outcome). But that is to FDEV to decide. But I made things clear, that those jerks better don't mess with the German Pilot Lounge.

Deleted member 182079

D
It's the sad part of MMOs.

The disparity is easily explained. There is a side that provokes, and there is a side that reacts. The side that provokes will indeed be less vitriolic since they're not on the receiving end of the provoking.

Mind you, that's not an excuse or in any way approval from me. But it's the result of the asymmetry of the encounter.
I get the emotional motivation of sending some nasty stuff through comms, but I always tried to avoid doing so myself - because that's the cherry on top for gankers that do it for the griefing aspect. No need to give them what they crave, it's better to learn as much as you can from each encounter and move on, silently. I can understand it's hard to suppress the temptation, but you do develop a thicker skin after a few rebuys. Best approach in the beginning is to venture into Open with a cheap ship and not stacking missions etc. Then you have very little to lose, which, apart from simple ego, is the main reason to be upset about getting ganked.

In over 4 years of playing the game, I have yet to be pirated by a CMDR. I'd be a cooperative customer;)

It's interesting, not every interdiction ends up with out-and-out combat - once I was pulled because the CMDR in question has a problem with people flying with docking computers (was quite a funny conversation) - I didn't, at least not that particular time, so we parted ways, and with another CMDR on each other's friend list.

Or another time, I was pulled by someone I know usually ganks in the usual hotspots, but he then asked me if I could help him test out his build - we stopped at less than 50% hull (for me anyways...).
Made some of those encounters as well. But you're absolutly right...the chat-system is pathetic. There is so much potential in E: D regarding "positive interaction". That's why I signed up to my squad years ago. And they are simply a great bunch of freaked out Space-Nerds of all kind. We even set up a RL-meeting every year and have a great time with breverages and BBQ. 😁

Well, since you asked :) Meeting random other CMDRs, have a chat, some interaction. There are more ways to interact with each other than shooting.

I'm sorry you feel the only philosophy in a game is winning or losing. There is so much more than that.

Distant Worlds for instance has entertained thousands of CMDRs, without the concept of winning or losing ever entering the picture. I play Elite to experience exploring a galaxy, the only way to win is to have fun doing it. No one loses.

I already do all that, I just don't understand the complaints about being killed.
I have not participated in distant worlds because you would only hear a person clamor in a language that he thinks he controls, 😂,but not, and writing while browsing I don't like it too much.

Paying up?

Most of the time, it is not my own cargo, it is mission cargo. So, cn I replace mission cargo, with something I can buy?
That really needs to be sorted out too if piracy is intended gameplay. I never consider giving a pirate anything if it's all mission cargo, because it's worth far more to me than it is to him.

Deleted member 182079

D
Made some of those encounters as well. But you're absolutly right...the chat-system is pathetic. There is so much potential in E: D regarding "positive interaction". That's why I signed up to my squad years ago. And they are simply a great bunch of freaked out Space-Nerds of all kind. We even set up a RL-meeting every year and have a great time with breverages and BBQ. 😁
That sounds pretty nice to be fair.

I used to be in a squadron for a while, but left it in the end - not because of the members or workload required (the squadron was pretty laid back in that regard i.e. you do what you want to do) but I'm still a single player at heart, and prefer to play Elite in the individual CMDR space cowboy/mercenary Han Solo;) sort of way. Usually I log on with a specific personal goal, and each time getting 'interrupted' by squad members 'hey do you wanna do XYZ' and me declining most of the time felt a bit rude, so I left.

Okay...to clear things up...I'm hunting Gankers and Griefers because i was ganked in the past, when I was a Newbie. Now I'm more experienced, well trained and my Ride is hot as FrenchFries. And what is more satisfiing than to see a ganker beeing ganked? But not only ganked...nooo...that would be too easy...humiliated with the tactic I proposed. To kill them is easy...to make them SUFFER, THAT'S worth the time. Doesn't work to 100%...but I keep trying.;)
How do you make the judgement, of who is and who isn't?

That sounds pretty nice to be fair.

I used to be in a squadron for a while, but left it in the end - not because of the members or workload required (the squadron was pretty laid back in that regard i.e. you do what you want to do) but I'm still a single player at heart, and prefer to play Elite in the individual CMDR space cowboy/mercenary sort of way. Usually I log on with a specific personal goal, and each time getting 'interrupted' by squad members 'hey do you wanna do XYZ' and me declining most of the time felt a bit rude, so I left.
Sorry to read that. I sort of a "Lone Wolf" too and I'm only seldomy active regarding Teamspeak or winging up. Partly because I'm working in shifts. Partly because, after work I'm really not in the mood anymore to socially interact directly. ;)
But that really doesn't count...we have a common goal. That is to spread our PMF in the galaxy. And where is the differecne bewteen howling cargo A to a random Station or helping the bgs via hauling cargo where it's needed? Also with PvP...If I'm in the mood...there is always someone who wants to practice. In our soquad it's all about opportunity not "must to do". We onlöy share one common thing: The love for Space-Games and that's binding us together. Never regretted it and I was never "called out" of being a Loner. I interact with them via discord or forum and, I think, most of my posts are quite humoreous. ;)

How do you make the judgement, of who is and who isn't?
1. Ermergency calls from squadmembers who are no PvP'ers. They call the system and the Commander! We'll hunt him down.
2. Commanders who have a REALLY high bounty on their heads. The EDMC-Plugin "EDR" is very helpful to sort them out.
3. Those who make the mistake interdicting me.
4. Those who interdict a Loner (like me) with a Wing.
5. Reports of my other PvP-squad-mates.
6. some other recources like various Discord channels for example.

Anyway, even playing with other people can be a burden to enjoy my own game.
And I really don't like activities that don't require much movement of my fingers,I smoke and that tends to make me fall asleep 😂
I like to be more active, distant worlds is not for me ,and it's content created by the community, not by developers .
Everyone enjoys it as they like.

Deleted member 182079

D
Sorry to read that. I sort of a "Lone Wolf" too and I'm only seldomy active regarding Teamspeak or winging up. Partly because I'm working in shifts. Partly because, after work I'm really not in the mood anymore to socially interact directly. ;)
But that really doesn't count...we have a common goal. That is to spread our PMF in the galaxy. And where is the differecne bewteen howling cargo A to a random Station or helping the bgs via hauling cargo where it's needed? Also with PvP...If I'm in the mood...there is always someone who wants to practice. In our soquad it's all about opportunity not "must to do". We onlöy share one common thing: The love for Space-Games and that's binding us together. Never regretted it and I was never "called out" of being a Loner. I interact with them via discord or forum and, I think, most of my posts are quite humoreous. ;)
Nothing to be sorry for:) It was a purely selfish decision on my part, and my interactions with the squad members weren't even remotely as close as in yours so they probably didn't even notice I left until much later:D We're still on each others' friend list but yeah I prefer to do my thing 90% of the time. If I feel sociable I'll join a CG or go to Deciat/SD.

One good spot for meeting other, like-minded CMDRs were the AX CZ's and burning stations - hope that FD increase the volume of those in the game (from currently zero once more:/).

In that case, you weigh off your chances of being able to escape, and thus completing the mission, or compare the mission reward/penalty vs your rebuy costs and see what's the lesser evil.
As I have explained earlier. Pre-engineers, you 'could weigh up your chances'. Fly a Cobra III or a Clipper and a fat Fed ship, could be out run and out ranged is seconds. After engineers, all ships can out run any basic Cobra, or Clipper. As being decisive, is a major part of whether you lose your ship or not. There is only one choice, if I can't replace the missions cargo and that choice is being implemented as I am throttling down, to submit.

As too missions losses? I don't get out of bed for less than a million these days, my Cobra re-buy is about half a million. Yes I will lose the mission's rewards, but to me, it is not a part of the bank balance, so not really a loss.

What I am asking is: Can I hand over a part of the mission cargo, thus taken part in the role play thing and replace it later, with brought stock? This would amount to a much lesser cost, than losing the mission, or the ship.

Last edited:
That really needs to be sorted out too if piracy is intended gameplay. I never consider giving a pirate anything if it's all mission cargo, because it's worth far more to me than it is to him.
I hate to bring another game's mechanics into this discussion, but I was a pirate for years in EVE, and our goal was ransoms. Disable, calculate total value of ship (in Elite this would be rebuy plus cargo), request payment of % of total value, release target when paid. It was wonderful fun finding and taxing people for the privilege of continuing to exist, and it lead to some incredibly funny negotiations with mission runners we ended up becoming friends with.

If piracy was more profitable in this game there may actually be more PVP pirates out there, sadly it is not a viable career. So most PVP encounters are going to be some sad git who gets his jollys of the back of some noobie just trying to get started.:(

PvP piracy was very viable before the changes of minerals trading. I'm sure it still is, probably a bit less, but shhh, I don't like concurrence !

Also miners are much more compliant when you pull them in a dedicated combat medium ship rather than in a small one. FSD reset missiles are also very intimidating and a lot of runners comply after being hit with them.

Nothing to be sorry for:) It was a purely selfish decision on my part, and my interactions with the squad members weren't even remotely as close as in yours so they probably didn't even notice I left until much later:D We're still on each others' friend list but yeah I prefer to do my thing 90% of the time. If I feel sociable I'll join a CG or go to Deciat/SD.

One good spot for meeting other, like-minded CMDRs were the AX CZ's and burning stations - hope that FD increase the volume of those in the game (from currently zero once more:/).

Attachments

• 1579620339013.jpeg
    1579620339013.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 117

Deleted member 182079

D
As i have explained earlier. Pre-engineers, you 'could weigh up your chances'. Fly a Cobra III or a Clipper and a fat Fed ship, could be out run and out ranged is seconds. After engineers, all ships can out run any basic Cobra, or Clipper. As too missions losses? I don't get out of bed for less than a million these days, my Cobra re-buy is about half a million.

What I am asking is: Can I hand over a part of the mission cargo, thus taken part in the role play thing and replace it later, with brought stock? This would amount to a much lesser cost, than losing the mission, or the ship.
I think the Cobra is a poor example, as that is one of my safest Open ships (A-rated and G5'd though), while still retaining utility it achieves 600m/s boost, combined with the pancake shape and some chaff, ECM, or heat sinks fitted it's pretty easy to escape if you don't fly in a straight line. Clipper I don't fly so can't comment but those are slightly faster even I believe.

To answer your question, no you cannot replenish lost mission cargo (it states that in the description), but in the grand scheme of things, unless you're slowly building up rep and credits via mission running, it doesn't really matter if you have to abandon the odd mission - I value the rush of a proper PvP encounter much higher than a few million credits you can make back within minutes.

Top Bottom