Federal Vote of No Confidence

We haven't had a Kumo day for a while either. Is Archon even still alive?

Indeed he is. And Kumo day is every day. Fancy a burger? 100% fresh meat, locally sourced and free range*
*at time of capture

21.jpg

Are any of the Powerplay leaders alive? Frontier don't seem to care about them. Even in the Galnet days, their existence often had no real repercussions to the galaxy anyway.

The narrative in the game is basically dead. And that's 😥.

Technically they can't die now, just frozen in the lore section.

Most recent Emperor elected by Senate...

But they didn't waste the public's time and money by asking individual citizens to vote. And she's Emperor for life. So there's no election campaign every four years.

Basking in her glory is a lot less messy than republic politics will ever be. You ought to try it.

[edit: my phone decided to capitalise a word that shouldn't have been]

Last edited:
But they didn't waste the public's time and money by asking individual citizens to vote. And she's Emperor for life. So there's no election campaign every four years.

Basking in her glory is a lot less messy than Republic politics will ever be. You ought to try it.

She is not a true Duval so no True Emperor

Speaking of Federation politics:
Is there a specific name for a form of government where the electorate is only a relatively small portion of the populace?
I don't know if this is still canon in the 34th century, but back in E2F canon, the Federation had disenfranchised everyone with a sub-average income. IIRC the threshold you had to meet to be allowed to vote was actually average not median income, which - regarding the way incomes are distributed in capitalist societies - basically means that only 10% of the populace gets to participate in the political process.

In short, if that elective franchise still stands in the 3300s, the Federation is not really noticeably more democratic than the Empire.

Speaking of Federation politics:
Is there a specific name for a form of government where the electorate is only a relatively small portion of the populace?
I don't know if this is still canon in the 34th century, but back in E2F canon, the Federation had disenfranchised everyone with a sub-average income. IIRC the threshold you had to meet to be allowed to vote was actually average not median income, which - regarding the way incomes are distributed in capitalist societies - basically means that only 10% of the populace gets to participate in the political process.

In short, if that elective franchise still stands in the 3300s, the Federation is not really noticeably more democratic than the Empire.

Still just a Republic.
All Adults get a vote was the last Fluff mentioned

Depends. If you're feeling mean, then the word you're after is "oligarchy". However, in practice, the vast majority of democracies down though history have had only a small fraction of the population given voting rights. Ancient Athens, only adult male citizens (non-slave, non-foreigner) could vote. Same with the United States at its founding: only white male landowners could vote. In the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, an electoral monarchy, only nobles could vote for the next king, though the noble classes were quite numerous; more people could vote for the Polish king than could vote for George Washington. And of course most countries didn't give women the vote until the 20th century. So "Democracy" is still a perfectly valid term to use for a country with a severely restricted voting franchise.

I don't recall reading that specific aspect of FE2/FFE lore; as far as I was aware, Federation democracies still have full universal suffrage.

The biggest problem with Federation democracy is the sheer size of the electorates. The average number of star systems a Federal congressperson represents is about 4. Given that Earth is severely over-represented in the Congress (many of the old pre-WWIII Earth nations having their own representatives, and the former United States retaining multiple representatives), this means that many of the interstellar representatives are being elected to represent a huge swathe of territory, covering dozens of star systems.

When a single person is being elected to represent a billion or more people scattered across a dozen cubic light-years of space, it can hardly be considered "representative" - they can't possibly relate to the vast numbers of people they purportedly represent. Doorknocking is impossible; getting to know what "local issues" are below a star-system-level is likewise impossible, and to a large extent irrelevant. The probability of your average Joe Federal Citizen getting to meet their elected representative is zero, unless there's a darn good reason.

And here is where Corporate influence slides in. Unable and/or unwilling to find out what the people actually want, the Corporations come in and tell the representatives what the needs and goals of the people are. Of course, they're actually the corporation's needs and goals, but there's no way for a typical hardworking congressperson to be able to ascertain the difference.

Theoretically, since the Federation retains is demopcratic structure, a "populist revolution" of some kind could sweep the ruling parties out of office. But in practice, the two-party system the Federation inherited from America is entrenched, and the Corporates would use every resource at their disposal to quash such an uprising.

Last edited:
@Sapyx
Was from a FFE Journal, though in review was the median wage, and 50% of the median wage

DISENFRANCHISED REGISTER DISCONTENT.
J.F.

The new Federation law withdrawing the vote from those earning less than fifty percent of the median wage has been introduced throughout the Federation's area of responsibility. This has not gone without some slight resistance.

Sheehanworld (Exbeur) which is now once more responding to Federal communications, was the scene of a more than usually vigorous expression of dissent. Police Captain Erc Blastinteen, who was in charge of the negotiations which brought the difficulties to an end, was modest when he spoke to our reporter.

"It was nothing" he said.

We cannot agree with the Captain. His dedication and application of judiciously deployed armour did much to contain the problem. We trust that some means can be found to express the Federation's gratitude.

@Sapyx
Was from a FFE Journal, though in review was the median wage, and 50% of the median wage...

Ah yes, I recall reading that one now. I tend to regard the Journals as non-canonical unless reinforced by canon elsewhere; they were (a) somewhat glitchy (being repeated several times over the course of a decade, and jumping back and forth through their stories at random) and (b) many of the items in them have been retconned (such as the article about the Thargoid delegation arriving at an interstellar science conference). This one about the Federation casually disenfranchising voters while the federation mouthpiece journalists politely applaud the use of tanks against Federation citizens, seems to me to be someone's attempt at humourously pushing the Player away from the Federation and towards the Alliance, where "true democracy" remained entrenched.

Ah, 50% of Median, so I remembered that quite wrong. ^^ Still, quite a bunch of disenfranchised people.

As Capt. Leroy, loyalist Virginian Captain in Wellington's army said so aptly, "Monarchy or Democracy don't make no difference. Money talks, merit walks."

A single central representative body for an entity comprising hundreds (thousands?) of star systems and trillions of individuals is of course pure folly, as laid out by Sapyx. Then having a non-representative electoral system on top of that (like a 2-party system or FPTP) makes it even worse.
A Federation that was really worth the name would have to be subsidiary in its constitutional layout -- multiple levels of government, each with full authority over its own level of affairs - and accountable to its own electorate - interacting with the next higher level only in affairs beyond its own ability to handle, and the top level(s) not having that much to say at all.

Personally, in the game I'm more partial to both Empire and Alliance when it comes to superpowers. The Empire is at least honest about being a dictatorship and doesn't call its thinly veiled plutocracy a "Democracy".

Ah, 50% of Median, so I remembered that quite wrong. ^^ Still, quite a bunch of disenfranchised people.

As Capt. Leroy, loyalist Virginian Captain in Wellington's army said so aptly, "Monarchy or Democracy don't make no difference. Money talks, merit walks."

A single central representative body for an entity comprising hundreds (thousands?) of star systems and trillions of individuals is of course pure folly, as laid out by Sapyx. Then having a non-representative electoral system on top of that (like a 2-party system or FPTP) makes it even worse.
A Federation that was really worth the name would have to be subsidiary in its constitutional layout -- multiple levels of government, each with full authority over its own level of affairs - and accountable to its own electorate - interacting with the next higher level only in affairs beyond its own ability to handle, and the top level(s) not having that much to say at all.

Personally, in the game I'm more partial to both Empire and Alliance when it comes to superpowers. The Empire is at least honest about being a dictatorship and doesn't call its thinly veiled plutocracy a "Democracy".

Even Single System Independent Democracies or single planet Independent Democracies will fall into that trap.

Maybe a Independent Cooperative in those frontier systems with less than a hundred people might actually be a Democracy

Top Bottom