Super Penetrator Rail Gun... What's it do again?

So I finally got out to Todd with my rails mounted to get those sweet, sweet, experimentals. Got one setup with Feedback Cascade and the other with Super Penetrator (stop laughing). Took my new toys to the CZ and found that Feedback Cascade works wonderful for those SCB spamming Pythons so that's great. The SP mod however seems useless. I was hoping that with this I could still get some damage in on the PP even when not in the prime position since aiming at it would naturally place it in the line of fire through the ship. Nope. No effect that I can see at all still unless they give me that over-the-top or down-under shot. Anything else shows no damage done to the targeted module. Is this how it's supposed to work? Is the damage so tiny it takes multiple shots to move the needle? Right now seems like a pointless mod and I'd be better off with another Feedback Cascade or Oversized mod instead.

So I finally got out to Todd with my rails mounted to get those sweet, sweet, experimentals. Got one setup with Feedback Cascade and the other with Super Penetrator (stop laughing). Took my new toys to the CZ and found that Feedback Cascade works wonderful for those SCB spamming Pythons so that's great. The SP mod however seems useless. I was hoping that with this I could still get some damage in on the PP even when not in the prime position since aiming at it would naturally place it in the line of fire through the ship. Nope. No effect that I can see at all still unless they give me that over-the-top or down-under shot. Anything else shows no damage done to the targeted module. Is this how it's supposed to work? Is the damage so tiny it takes multiple shots to move the needle? Right now seems like a pointless mod and I'd be better off with another Feedback Cascade or Oversized mod instead.
What did you shoot at?
You have to still aim for the targeted module but it will hit if you are on target, regardless of penetration or other things 'shielding' it.
You have to chew through module reinforcement a bit though. Superpen works best to kill fleeing NPC or CMDRs FSDs or powerplants,
and they are very effective.
Source: Dezpe, rail gun god :LOL:
Source: https://youtu.be/45tq8FogAW4

Super penetrator does one thing and one thing only...it prevents a shot that penetrates the hull from stopping at the first module it intersects with.

It does not change penetration chance. If you penetrate, a rail gun will do almost no damage to the hull, because the breach damage is such a large fraction of full damage.

It does not, I believe, change maximum penetration depth. If you couldn't reach the module from a certain angle before, and not due to interposing modules, but sheer depth, you won't reach it with super penetrator either.

What it does do is allow a module to be hit irrespective of those interposing modules and damage all modules in a line up to maximum penetration depth. For example, if you are directly behind a corvette and target it's FSD a normal rail gun will hit the power plant, and only the power plant, because it's in the way. With a superpen rail, you hit both and do full damage to both (and possibly other modules).

Super penetrator does one thing and one thing only...it prevents a shot that penetrates the hull from stopping at the first module it intersects with.

It does not change penetration chance. If you penetrate, a rail gun will do almost no damage to the hull, because the breach damage is such a large fraction of full damage.

It does not, I believe, change maximum penetration depth. If you couldn't reach the module from a certain angle before, and not due to interposing modules, but sheer depth, you won't reach it with super penetrator either.

What it does do is allow a module to be hit irrespective of those interposing modules and damage all modules in a line up to maximum penetration depth. For example, if you are directly behind a corvette and target it's FSD a normal rail gun will hit the power plant, and only the power plant, because it's in the way. With a superpen rail, you hit both and do full damage to both (and possibly other modules).
Or what he said. He knows better. Always (y)

Hmmm, I'll keep at it. I had the PP targeted but still had to get an over-the-top or under shot to see any damage done. When i got them from that normal angle then it worked just as before. 3L OC Multi-Cannons are doing a fine job up close. I know you gotta still aim just was hoping to have more sucess in getting them from stand-of front/behind/side shots. Elite Pythons drove me nuts since it appears they have the PP on bottom and they REALLY work hard to never let you see the bottom of them flat-on.

What I noticed is "the snap" is very important to have a high chance to cause damage to the sub-target. You see it really well in DeZpe's video.
The other thing is what Ian said, after a few hits cycle through the subsystems and you see many of them with damage. One time it took me ages to take out an FSD on a ship in a CZ and after it was finally done and I switched to the PP it was already at 0%.

I need to git gud with Imperial Hammers w/feedback. SCB drives me crazy. How effective is a class 3 rail w/feedback compared to dual class 2 rails?

I need to git gud with Imperial Hammers w/feedback. SCB drives me crazy. How effective is a class 3 rail w/feedback compared to dual class 2 rails?
ImpHammer is class 2 also.
If all three bursts hit it's more effectice then a single rail , if not, not :LOL:
Dual c2 rails are more effective, provided you hit with them.
Generally I can land hits with some bursts from the hammer, more then the single shot from a rail.
But that's just me.

What did you shoot at?
You have to still aim for the targeted module but it will hit if you are on target, regardless of penetration or other things 'shielding' it.
You have to chew through module reinforcement a bit though. Superpen works best to kill fleeing NPC or CMDRs FSDs or powerplants,
and they are very effective.
Source: Dezpe, rail gun god :LOL:
Source: https://youtu.be/45tq8FogAW4

Good video ! lol

Now try to fly like this on a Xbox one with a controller.....

If all three bursts hit it's more effectice then a single rail , if not, not :LOL:
Generally I can land hits with some bursts from the hammer, more then the single shot from a rail.
But that's just me.
You're not alone ;)

But that's just me.
Did something change with Hammers? Maybe I'm at the wrong station, but I can only find them in Class 3. Class 2 would be perfect.

FWIW...

Rails have become my preferred "insta-kill" weapon and I originally fitted them to a couple of ships, modded them with super-pen' and found the results to be impressive.

I decided to standardise my combat-ship loadouts and include a rail so I fitted C2 rail's to several ships, with the intention of replacing them with Imp' Hammers once I'd done the required PP stuff.
Because I knew I was going to replace them with Imp' Hammers I didn't bother modding them and I found it much harder to destroy PPs and FSDs with the standard rails than with the modded ones.

Honestly, I couldn't say whether or not Super-Pen' gives you "the best bang for your buck" but it definitely seems to make it easier to module-snipe with rails so that's good enough for me.

Top Bottom