Returning player needs some advice!

Hello Commanders,

I am a returning player that has not played in about 5 yrs. I have a Type 6 docked in Chi Eridani and about 7.5mil credits in the bank. I need some advice on how to make some money and get the ball rolling again.

Also where can I find the other ships I have docked in other areas of space?

I'm really having to relearn the game all over again and I'd like to not make any silly mistakes that will cost me a lot of time.

thank you

Money making = Mining. It still pays well. You might like the new core mining LARGE EXPLOSIONS game play.

Finding your ships = Look for the red icons on the galaxy map. Highlighting the system with the icon and looking in the info panel on the left will let you know what ship types are stored there.

I highly recommend grabbing a Diamondback Explorer, A rating the FSD and sticking the biggest fuel scoop you can on it for effortless bubble travel.

Have fun.

How/where do I ally with factions in an extraction economy?
Go to an extraction system as shown by the system type on the galaxy map. Try to make it one with a station not too far from the sun. Dock there and do missions until all the factions on the mission board say you're their ally. (Except the last faction in the mission board which is probably a criminal one; doing stuff for them may annoy the others).

Hello Commanders,

I am a returning player that has not played in about 5 yrs. I have a Type 6 docked in Chi Eridani and about 7.5mil credits in the bank. I need some advice on how to make some money and get the ball rolling again.

Also where can I find the other ships I have docked in other areas of space?

I'm really having to relearn the game all over again and I'd like to not make any silly mistakes that will cost me a lot of time.

thank you

Galmap will show you a red sidewinder icon on the systems you left ships in. Those icon can be toggled on and off in the last tab on the left panel, but theu're on by default.

If you want to make cash, find a squadron of decent folks and stack wing missions with them.

You can do pretty much anything you want, first think about what you like most (trading, mining, missions, combat, exploration), then we can point you to some guides and give tips.
Mining is probably most profitable and it's actually fun. You can't do deep core mining in your T6 though, you would need to support the small seismic charges foundation and help convincing FDEV that our leader @Kenneth Mcgrew is right. So in the meantime I would suggest to trade your T6 for an Asp Explorer or something like that.

I missed the easy answer (although I'm biased here).

I don't know if Colonia was a thing when you stopped playing, but you can get a bunch of credits scanning systems and planets on the way from the bubble. You'll need to look into engineers first, but the T-6 would be a good ship for this.

Then you're in a spot where all the mining spots are pristine, explorers still find undiscovered system a couple of hundred light years away, and IMO, the place just looks nicer. I also found a trade run where I was able to sell polymers for 8500 cr profit per ton (Santos Dumont to Earth Expeditionary Fleet for anyone interested), so good money to be made trading.

Bear in mind it's a big undertaking as you'll need to make a 22,000 ly trip to get there, but a good few players will tell you it's worth it.

Then you're in a spot where all the mining spots are pristine, explorers still find undiscovered system a couple of hundred light years away, and IMO, the place just looks nicer.

Found an almost virgin route from Colonia to Sag A* recently, nice payer..

Bear in mind it's a big undertaking as you'll need to make a 22,000 ly trip to get there, but a good few players will tell you it's worth it.

Colonia is quite the trip, but well worthwhile, particularly if you get off the beaten path and in to undiscovered systems.

Go to an extraction system as shown by the system type on the galaxy map. Try to make it one with a station not too far from the sun. Dock there and do missions until all the factions on the mission board say you're their ally. (Except the last faction in the mission board which is probably a criminal one; doing stuff for them may annoy the others).

Actually, ally with all of them. Stick with neutral missions like info delivery and general goods delivery, and choose reputation as a bonus reward whenever you can (you now get a choice of up to three different rewards with missions handing in. Why ally with the pirates? Heh, in times of civil war in nearby system, they will have you shipping weapons for what you had been getting paid to ship palladium, if not more.

Thanks for all the suggestions. So a lot of you say the type 6 is good for exploration. Do I just go through every system and visit all the unknown spots? Also if I wanted a more all around ship that could do some combat as well, what would I be looking to get into if I only have 11 mil?

Thanks for all the suggestions. So a lot of you say the type 6 is good for exploration. Do I just go through every system and visit all the unknown spots? Also if I wanted a more all around ship that could do some combat as well, what would I be looking to get into if I only have 11 mil?
Asp Explorer, fit it with the best FSD you can and a couple of cabins and do passenger missions. Scan everything you visit with a FSS. Get some credits from that.

Then upgrade it before you start equipping it for shooting. Good shields, good armor, and then fit it with some decent lasers or cannon (or both) and take it to RES sites where you get local enforcement assistance in making kills of NPCs. It will help get your eye in for battle, and improve your shooting skills, without losing your ship if
(a) you remember to use your pips intelligently - three or four to shields when attacked, pips to ENG if you need to boost away in order to
(b) run when your shields go down. You will have to do the latter until you can afford a better ship (or better equipment, and engineering)... the Krait Phantom comes to mind as a step up from the AspX, and then you can work on that to engineer it. But first things first, use the AspX to work up some credits and skills.

If passenger missions suggest that you would enjoy exploration, then the Phantom is a good ship to do it in (eventually !), but for good jump ranges you will need to engineer your FSD, whether you stick with the AspX or go for the Phantom.

Last edited:
Similar to the OP, I picked up the game around Christmas after a 4 yr hiatus....I play maybe an hour a day and really don’t grind much. Started at 60M and now at around 700M net worth (including ships) mostly from 1. mining 2. exploration and 3. a little bit of combat, but fair warning, combat is a WHOLE NEW THING now.

Overall the game is vastly improved, I’m loving it.

So I'm guessing the engineering stuff comes from the Horizons dlc? Guess its critical to get that.
Yes. The game gives you many more options with Horizons. Also, it's easier to find materials for engineering on planetary surfaces, either shooting rocks, geo or bio sites, visiting crash sites and bases. All the engineers are on bases.

You can do pretty much anything you want, first think about what you like most (trading, mining, missions, combat, exploration), then we can point you to some guides and give tips.
Mining is probably most profitable and it's actually fun. You can't do deep core mining in your T6 though, you would need to support the small seismic charges foundation and help convincing FDEV that our leader @Kenneth Mcgrew is right. So in the meantime I would suggest to trade your T6 for an Asp Explorer or something like that.

Ninja'd by my own propaganda

for more information please click on the Small Seismic Charge Foundation link here

Top Bottom