General Feedback after 100+ hrs of gameplay from a casual player trying to be dedidcated

As a casual I want to give my feedback to developers on my current experience with elite Dangerous.

Game purchased : 2015
Game played: 2020

Current ships:
Sidewinder
Viper Mk3
Krait mk2 (preferred)
ASP explorer
Type 7

Highest rank: Combat Expert
Preferred Faction: Federation
Squadron: Yes
Powerplay: Yes always in open (everyone should 😏)
Playstyle: BGS and PvP preferred
Disposition: Highly Competitive

Now that I feel I got a general portion of my profile out o want to start with the pros then move to the cons. Ill keep it short as possible. I will let rebutals lead the conversations

PROS:

• World looks great
  • Player interqcrion with BGS feels great
  • Exploration seems intuitive with knowledge of the game world
  • flying a ship feels great
  • Power play concept is great
  • the community both 2015 and 2020 are really nice to help a new player
  • feeling of scale is lovely

CONS:

• merged worlds social, open, and private is not cool
  • shields are too OP
  • instances are too unstable
  • making and losing credits needs rework (ppl with 22 billion like why)
  • engineering too Op
  • No NPC followers (not including fighters)
  • Did I mention shields with engineering are too OP?

Im more than happy to discuss and have a serious respectful conversation. I also have a sharp tounge (xbox comm banned at times) and will talk back if someone tries to be condescending and toxic. Hope we dont get there :)...lets be respectful

all great points, except "merged worlds social, open, and private is not cool". I like the shared universe, drop in drop out when in the mood. I get that it bypasses some emergent gameplay blocking ports and what-not. But some days I just want to chill and not be cut off from my goals. Also I like to equate those 'phantom' player deliveries to all the NPC ships flying to and from the stations. As I don't believe those deliveries are calculated into the BGS.

Personally I like open, I got 4000 plus hours in game. Recently instances have become much better, I have been in with 19 or 20 people messing around without issues. It all depends on the worst connection any of the players have
Thank you i love Open as well maybe it is a case of connection as you said, thus dedicated servers would be nice for situations like that.

all great points, except "merged worlds social, open, and private is not cool". I like the shared universe, drop in drop out when in the mood. I get that it bypasses some emergent gameplay blocking ports and what-not. But some days I just want to chill and not be cut off from my goals. Also I like to equate those 'phantom' player deliveries to all the NPC ships flying to and from the stations. As I don't believe those deliveries are calculated into the BGS.
Completely disagree with affecting the world in "ghost" you are still then in "PvP" but hidding (because you can negatively affect my gameplay and there is nothing I can do to stop you i.e kill you over and over) . I have no problems in copying the open world to a personal solo server and have at it (kinda like scenario world) but once you "ghost" and affect a PvP world you are enabling a bad practice in PvP. Solo and Private should be just that. Once you go into open you gave actively opted in to experience grieffers, blockers, pilots that are better or worse than you and the reward is victory. Affecting that PvP atmosphere from a solo instance is unfair to those that do it in the open. A PvPer should never affect a solo (your own world) or a private (a world you have the rules to) OPEN (for all).

That doesn't actually answer the question of why they should be seperate ;)
Because solo is intended for a personal world where you dont interact hence the word SOLO. Open is for people to interact. Private is a controll enviroment where you chose who interacts. It is very clear. Open should be ONLY for players who are not affraid or feel a detriment to interaction with other players. The fact i cant forcibly via game mechanics stop a player from solo from affecting the open world is counter intuitive. If he wants to affect Open why dont they just play in Open?

Completely disagree with affecting the world in "ghost" you are still then in "PvP" but hidding (because you can negatively affect my gameplay and there is nothing I can do to stop you i.e kill you over and over) . I have no problems in copying the open world to a personal solo server and have at it (kinda like scenario world) but once you "ghost" and affect a PvP world you are enabling a bad practice in PvP. Solo and Private should be just that. Once you go into open you gave actively opted in to experience grieffers, blockers, pilots that are better or worse than you and the reward is victory. Affecting that PvP atmosphere from a solo instance is unfair to those that do it in the open. A PvPer should never affect a solo (your own world) or a private (a world you have the rules to) OPEN (for all).
What if I'm on a different platform to you, live in a different time or just simply play at a different time of day? I can still play in open and affect your game but you can do nothing (PvP wise) to stop me. Should there be a separate BGS for different platforms and time zones?

Last edited:
Because solo is intended for a personal world where you dont interact hence the word SOLO. Open is for people to interact. Private is a controll enviroment where you chose who interacts. It is very clear. Open should be ONLY for players who are not affraid or feel a detriment to interaction with other players. The fact i cant forcibly via game mechanics stop a player from solo from affecting the open world is counter intuitive. If he wants to affect Open why dont they just play in Open?
Elite has been made as a remake of original 1984 game and therefore a Single-player game that has an option to play with others.
BGS was designed to make galaxy feel more alive and responding to player actions, whether they play in Open or Solo, so even if you play alone, you can influence the world and see unscripted influence of others. Very cool idea for a game that doesn't want to be purely PvP MMO.

People trying to control their BGS factions in direct confrontation simply don't understand what game they're playing.

What if I'm on a different platform to you, or play in a different time? I can still play in open and affect your game but you can do nothing to stop me. Should there be a separate BGS for different platforms and time zones?
True but others can. Because if you are playing in open and having an affect on powerplay and BGS then other will and can come after you right? You assume that i have no other friends in other countries and time zones to monitor BGS if you were playing in open. Fear is why solo players play in solo who want to affect open, fear nothing else. As a PvP'er I expect players to be better than me, worse than me, gankers, griefers, blockaders, groups, wings, squadrons it is up to me to get good to overcome those challanges. Sure I can play in solo get better vs NPC. Then start fresh in a Massive Universe go to a system where ill probably see 5 ppl (probably nice people) and start my ascention to the top. It is called "Elite Dangerous" not "elite hide in solo and believe you are good at the game"...If you cant cope with managing your BGS individually find friends (social/open) to help manage it so when pesky whatever timezone timmy/kristen shows up you blow their ship up. Thats how PvP works. Not let me hide and effect your world in the safety of trashy NPCs while I have an indestructible Corvette or Anaconda max engineered that i can walk through 20 NPCs (i know ppl trade no shields in solo too). Again, if you(not you specifically but a solo player) were effecting my BGS i will socialize to stop you from doing it either as a small wing or a squadron. Yet i can stop you in solo but i cant instill fear in you as much as possible could, because you are hiding from it. Also, if you have the same amount of friends as i do its a loop i cant ever change because you are hiding. Why cant solo players have their own connected world where they all hide from each other and it only affects them? Solo is connected for only solo players how does that sound?

True but others can. Because if you are playing in open and having an affect on powerplay and BGS then other will and can come after you right? You assume that i have no other friends in other countries and time zones to monitor BGS if you were playing in open. Fear is why solo players play in solo who want to affect open, fear nothing else. As a PvP'er I expect players to be better than me, worse than me, gankers, griefers, blockaders, groups, wings, squadrons it is up to me to get good to overcome those challanges. Sure I can play in solo get better vs NPC. Then start fresh in a Massive Universe go to a system where ill probably see 5 ppl (probably nice people) and start my ascention to the top. It is called "Elite Dangerous" not "elite hide in solo and believe you are good at the game"...If you cant cope with managing your BGS individually find friends (social/open) to help manage it so when pesky whatever timezone timmy/kristen shows up you blow their ship up. Thats how PvP works. Not let me hide and effect your world in the safety of trashy NPCs while I have an indestructible Corvette or Anaconda max engineered that i can walk through 20 NPCs (i know ppl trade no shields in solo too). Again, if you(not you specifically but a solo player) were effecting my BGS i will socialize to stop you from doing it either as a small wing or a squadron. Yet i can stop you in solo but i cant instill fear in you as much as possible could, because you are hiding from it. Also, if you have the same amount of friends as i do its a loop i cant ever change because you are hiding. Why cant solo players have their own connected world where they all hide from each other and it only affects them? Solo is connected for only solo players how does that sound?
I think you're mistaking ED for a PvP-focussed game. It's ostensibly a PvE game in which there is the possibility for direct PvP.

The vision for ED has always been for a shared universe that people can interact with any way they like. Not everyone whats PvP, get over it. If you want PvP and player-dominated systems, then maybe EVE would be a better a fit?

Also, don't be afraid of whitespace and paragraphs ;)

Elite has been made as a remake of original 1984 game and therefore a Single-player game that has an option to play with others.
BGS was designed to make galaxy feel more alive and responding to player actions, whether they play in Open or Solo, so even if you play alone, you can influence the world and see unscripted influence of others. Very cool idea for a game that doesn't want to be purely PvP MMO.

People trying to control their BGS factions in direct confrontation simply don't understand what game they're playing.

Well fair but there is nothing wrong with change right? So if they make Solo world specifically just for solo players what harm can that be? I mean max 9k concurrent players on steam last check. I believe having a purely Open dedicated world where is only affected by People in open wouldnt hurt those numbers because people that like PvP would love a game like this. It looks beautiful. It feels greart it just needs to cater to both. I mean it is possible. Or are solo players worried that their solo world would become obselete because competition(PvP) is more enticing than ghosting eachother for effect?

I think you're mistaking ED for a PvP-focussed game. It's ostensibly a PvE game in which there is the possibility for direct PvP.

The vision for ED has always been for a shared universe that people can interact with any way they like. Not everyone whats PvP, get over it. If you want PvP and player-dominated systems, then maybe EVE would be a better a fit?

Also, don't be afraid of whitespace and paragraphs ;)
Dont be afraid of playing open and progressing only through open. 😏 anyway my point stands it doesnt have to be one way or the other i am advocating for options. You want to play solo fine, do that just dont have the option to influence open play.

(For you)

You and the 4k players that love solo can all share a world. Then the other 3k that love PvP can share open, and the other 1k that love private Role Playing etc. Can share private and create the star trek universe and everyone is happy right? Question if you want to interact so much then why hide in solo? I feel the answer would be the same i have heard so far fear that some are not good enough to deal with griefers, or blockades etc.

Forum bingo needs to be a thing again.

This is a forum joke, unbeknownst to you most of the points you make have been repeated ad infinitum elsewhere.

Let's start by looking at your assumptions as to what the game is. It seems like you think it's wholly an MMO where players join factions to contest space using the BGS.

That's fair and what you might expect, but this simply isn't the case. It can be that. It also can be just a dude/dudette in their own craft, in solo doing whatever the hell they like. Both equally valid, neither "right".

The BGS is set to be influenced by every player, in every mode, on every platform. That's not to say that player factions can't compete, they can, but the method of competition is via BGS actions and rarely about direct PvP.

It's rarely about direct PvP because of instancing limitations, so even if all players were in open, each instance is limited to around 20 ships in any case. That's a hard limit so you can see why it would be impossible for that to be reality, as much as ppl would want.

Choosing a mode that best suits you isn't fear, or being scared or whatever - it's simply a player choice. Some people just don't want the hassle.

All this being said, in my opinion the game would greatly benefit from an Open Only level of gameplay such as Powerplay, notwithstanding the instancing issues mentioned above.

I'm not a PvPer so can't comment directly on shields being OP, except to say there is engineered weps that make it easier, I think.

Fly safe, 07.

Forum bingo needs to be a thing again.

This is a forum joke, unbeknownst to you most of the points you make have been repeated ad infinitum elsewhere.

Let's start by looking at your assumptions as to what the game is. It seems like you think it's wholly an MMO where players join factions to contest space using the BGS.

That's fair and what you might expect, but this simply isn't the case. It can be that. It also can be just a dude/dudette in their own craft, in solo doing whatever the hell they like. Both equally valid, neither "right".

The BGS is set to be influenced by every player, in every mode, on every platform. That's not to say that player factions can't compete, they can, but the method of competition is via BGS actions and rarely about direct PvP.

It's rarely about direct PvP because of instancing limitations, so even if all players were in open, each instance is limited to around 20 ships in any case. That's a hard limit so you can see why it would be impossible for that to be reality, as much as ppl would want.

Choosing a mode that best suits you isn't fear, or being scared or whatever - it's simply a player choice. Some people just don't want the hassle.

All this being said, in my opinion the game would greatly benefit from an Open Only level of gameplay such as Powerplay, notwithstanding the instancing issues mentioned above.

I'm not a PvPer so can't comment directly on shields being OP, except to say there is engineered weps that make it easier, I think.

Fly safe, 07.

I really like this response alot. I think there should be a space for both that is my point. The game evolving would be better for people that do like PvP. Yes understand that instances are an issue i mentioned that hence why i beleieve work needs to be done to make it a smooth 40 v 40 at the very least for PvP to flourish. I respect every single one of your points and I hope the dev team realizes there is a yearning for greater exclusive PvP un-hindered by solo or private influence o7. Thank you!

Top Bottom