Futuristic Interiors?

I have to believe I'm not the only one that's puzzled by the cockpit interiors of the non-Gutamaya ships. Based on the 40-year old U.S. shuttles, it seems unrealistic that more than 1,300 years later, these futuristic star-jumpers would look more like the inside of a 1965 dump truck. I'm just saying... ;)

I have to believe I'm not the only one that's puzzled by the cockpit interiors of the non-Gutamaya ships. Based on the 40-year old U.S. shuttles, it seems unrealistic that more than 1,300 years later, these futuristic star-jumpers would look more like the inside of a 1965 dump truck. I'm just saying... ;)
Dystopian future. Have you not seen the interior of the ships in the Matrix? It looks like they're flying in 1940s submarines.

ED lines up with reality. Compare the cockpits of a modern luxury jet (Lear 85) and a modern combat jet (F-18) . . .

modern.jpg

. . . to a Clipper and a DBS . . .

ed.jpg

. . . and you will see things line up as one would expect. Cockpits, by necessity, are function first and aesthetics second. Combat craft are never gonna have much zazz in the cockpit. Though you would expect better cable management, given.

In zero gravity, it's far preferable to not have a lot of big, open space where you can drift without purchase when it's not necessary. A tight cockpit makes for far better visibility.

I'm not certain comparing today's aircraft with spaceships 1,300+ years in the future tracks, but nice work on the side-by-side pics!

The core principle of design won't change in 1300 years. Cockpits are for piloting an aircraft, and thus will be first and foremost designed to cram in all necessary instruments. Second, military craft are never gonna waste money on aesthetics. Not now, and not in 10,000 years. The only thing that will change is the number/type of instruments.

Cockpit and bridge design in ED was also inspired by sea ships to some amount.
Which makes sense since we are talking about spaceships.

Hence the seats (hight and foot rest and base attachment) and the amount of glass and the general roominess.
1582378269820.png

This is a design study for the bridge of a sea ship (could as well be a Lacon design :))
1582378327509.png

Last edited:
Cockpit and bridge design in ED was also inspired by sea ships at some amount.

Hence the seats (hight and foot rest and base attachment) and the amount of glass and the general roominess.
View attachment 163075

This is a design study for the bridge of a sea ship (could as well be a Lacon design :))
View attachment 163076
They should of called Elite Dangerous 'Star Ocean', but there is already a game with that name.

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO most of the Cockpits are an homage to an undescribed extinction event which wiped out Crew Members many decades ago.

Now we're left with Millions of empty seats in the Galaxy, behind Consoles which continue to display Information noone can even look at.

After that event, the Ship manufacturers quickly re-routed all critical C3 functions onto the Pilot's position and moved to a unified HUD for single-CMDR operations - but retained all the Equipment of the old, crewed Vessels.

Been wanting to be able to customize the cockpit for a while.
Some paint, different materials, the uncanny ability to turn off the cockpit lights;
Crazy stuff.

... the uncanny ability to turn off the cockpit lights;
The ability already exists. It's just that we're waiting for the design committee to sign off on either a button or a switch.
Me I say switch, but there is evidently still a lot of support for a button.
The touch-screen swipe brigade were heavily defeated in the first round of voting sometime last March.

ED lines up with reality. Compare the cockpits of a modern luxury jet (Lear 85) and a modern combat jet (F-18) . . .

View attachment 162996

. . . to a Clipper and a DBS . . .

View attachment 162997

. . . and you will see things line up as one would expect. Cockpits, by necessity, are function first and aesthetics second. Combat craft are never gonna have much zazz in the cockpit. Though you would expect better cable management, given.
To be fair the F18 is not that modern, it is 45 years since it was launched and over 20 years since the Super Hornet variant launched the Lear 85 was a 2014 design cancelled the same year.

But your point is right about the balance of function and aesthetics.

Cockpit and bridge design in ED was also inspired by sea ships to some amount.

View attachment 163075

View attachment 163076
It looks a lot like the cab of a big crane at first glance, but yes I can see the Lakon design influence.

I have to believe I'm not the only one that's puzzled by the cockpit interiors of the non-Gutamaya ships. Based on the 40-year old U.S. shuttles, it seems unrealistic that more than 1,300 years later, these futuristic star-jumpers would look more like the inside of a 1965 dump truck.
I happen to feel like Core Dynamics ships have cockpits that just as futuristic, streamlined and beautiful as anything Gutamaya produces, and I love Gutamaya ships and their interiors.

Seriously, look around the cockpit of the FAS or the Vulture and tell me it isn't sexy as hell, especially compared to the standard Delacy and Lakon designs, which are rusty and/or utilitarian.

Top Bottom